Westport Meat Trip

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Usually for me, the sea legs tango happens after a day of sea state 5-6.. and I've been fishing from the bow taking the brunt of it while on the hook. One of these times I'm gonna see if it helps me learn Caporiea, the brazillian dance fighting art. 😜

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
FYI, imo Dramimine works best if you take a dose the night before as well as the morning of. That seemed to work best for clients outside of the patch. Morning of is hit or miss because you may end up puking it up before it has a chance to get in your system.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm late to the game, but hey I just joined today.

My 2 cents, as Chris states, is to take your drugs the night before. For whatever reason, Dramamine never did it for me, but Bonine hits the spot. Experiment with your drugs to find the one that works for you. My wife swears by the patch...again put on the night before.

OTOH, the only time I ever feel the effects of the big blue is after a night of excessive consumption, so maybe Bonine was created for alcoholics :)

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I used the scop patch for an ocean trip over the weekend. First time after using Dramamine in the past and fighting through the associated drowsiness. I put the patch on about 24 hours prior. The only side effect was dry mouth and generally feeling thirsty. I drank about 80 oz of water on the boat and more when we got back to land. I actually felt hungry on the ocean, which is rare for me. Not a hint of nausea, but then it was a mild day out there.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I used the scop patch for an ocean trip over the weekend. First time after using Dramamine in the past and fighting through the associated drowsiness. I put the patch on about 24 hours prior. The only side effect was dry mouth and generally feeling thirsty. I drank about 80 oz of water on the boat and more when we got back to land. I actually felt hungry on the ocean, which is rare for me. Not a hint of nausea, but then it was a mild day out there.

So thankful you were there and your patch worked well, else we might still be out there trying to catch flounder

JayB

Steelhead
Not sure if they've been mentioned before but Zofran (in particular) and Phenergan (sp?) can help quite a bit if you do get hit with nausea. Zofran's given to chemo patients to help with nausea and someone who's worked as a ships doc on an Antarctic cruise ship that had to go back and forth across the Drake Passage hD no qualms with stacking Zofran on top of scopalamine for people that were getting hit with breakthrough nausea

AFAIK Zofran has a pretty benign side effect profile so it should be relatively easy to get a combo prescription with scopalamine.

As always, this info is every bit as accurate and true as all other medical advice dispensed by patently unqualified non-MD's on the internet.