We got these spiders coming in...

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not much a good fly swatter wont dispatch. Not the plastic shit, the wire mesh style.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Top 10 most dangerous spiders, in the world:
  1. Funnel web
  2. Redback
  3. Brazilian wandering
  4. Chilean recluse
  5. Sicarius
  6. Brown recluse
  7. Black widow
  8. Hairy mystery
  9. Brown widow
  10. Katipo
#1 and #2 are both common, where I'm from. I've been bitten by #2 and didn't do anything other than put ice on it, drink a beer and watch some TV. #1 are not to be messed with, though; they will kill you.

It looks like only #7 exists, in WA, and they aren't a huge risk. I would let them do their thing, personally.

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Not saying it didn't happen, but generally speaking the Brown Recluse doesn't live in Washington.
Agreed T_law, definitely nowhere near their listed range. I probably should have worded my reply differently. Not sure how it got there, but the guy who owned the house before me imported stuff and ran the business from his home so I'm guessing he brought that houseguest in via a shipment.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I usually give the spiders a pass, but when they spin their webs on the house and get big, she insists I go on patrol and take no prisoners. My weapon of choice is my pump-up pellet pistol. Give it a pump or two (no pellet, only air), point at the spider, directing it away from the house, and gently squeeze the trigger. Pop - spider quicly dispatched and transpoted far away.

Wife happy. Back on couch.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I grew up in eastern WA with black widows so when I spent summers on the westside, and moved here permanently these coastal spiders were nothing to worry about. Fascinating critters I catch with glass and paper and shuttle outside.

Local cool one -Marbled Orbweaver/ "Pumpkin spider"spidersyl2021oct18th.jpg

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
FYI . . . years ago in the fall we were ripping-out piping in a building. There was an abundance of Black Widow Spiders in our work area, so . . . we obtained a huge glass jar, caught and placed the Widows in the jar and continued our task. By lunch time, each spider had staked-out her own territory and spun a web. We caught a huge Garden Spider and put her in the jar. By morning, ALL of the Widows had been processed and placed in web-lock storage against future need. I haven't harmed a Garden Spider since.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
FYI . . . years ago in the fall we were ripping-out piping in a building. There was an abundance of Black Widow Spiders in our work area, so . . . we obtained a huge glass jar, caught and placed the Widows in the jar and continued our task. By lunch time, each spider had staked-out her own territory and spun a web. We caught a huge Garden Spider and put her in the jar. By morning, ALL of the Widows had been processed and placed in web-lock storage against future need. I haven't harmed a Garden Spider since.
Jim, that sure brought up a far back memory! Early grade school in the Spokane valley, we had a shop where the black widows would hang out. For some reason we caught a few and added a praying mantis to the big jar and tucked away in a shed. In no time we went to see what happened and somehow a different spider was in the jar and there were bundled carcases of the former inhabitants packaged up. I was cooled off of catching spiders for awhile with that handy work.
Related, but unresolved..I know either a spider or mantis was albino in the group.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I don't know where spiders got the idea that they could live outside during the warm summer and then migrate inside to warm human homes when it gets cold at night. Kind'a nervy if you ask me.

Because spiders are handy in my wife's garden, we have a deal with the over legged critters. We let them move around inside unless we get bitten. Once we get a spider bite it is open warfare on all spiders. Alive or dead they are banished to the outdoors.... we are more than willing to live and let live but we won't tolerate unprovoked bites.

At this point they have broken the agreement so the gloves are off...

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Jim, that sure brought up a far back memory! Early grade school in the Spokane valley, we had a shop where the black widows would hang out. For some reason we caught a few and added a praying mantis to the big jar and tucked away in a shed. In no time we went to see what happened and somehow a different spider was in the jar and there were bundled carcases of the former inhabitants packaged up. I was cooled off of catching spiders for awhile with that handy work.
Related, but unresolved..I know either a spider or mantis was albino in the group.
Wow, I did the same expirement as a kid in the SoCal desert. I saw a Wild Kingdom episode (or a similar TV show) where a praying mantis stalked and ate a black widow. So, I decided to repeat that experiment and corraborate the findings. I threw the biggest mantis I could find into one of the many black widow webs on our house. Well, the mantis got tangled in the web and the widow bit, killed and processed the mantis.

I was so bummed and sad. The TV lied to me.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I was clearing out my grandma’s basement a long time ago and being a grandma there was lots of gift paper and crinkly stuff all over down there. I heard some noise from a creature scurrying around in the paper and I was thinking it was a mouse. Nope, it was a giant fucking European house spider. It was at least 4” across and looked fast and powerful. It went deeper into the dark crevices of the basement and I finished the job of clearing off the floor watching closely as a I packed away that holiday paper and wrap. I don’t have a true fear of spiders like some people but I have to say that fucking spider could have been outfitted with a trailer hitch.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
2f1935f67ecad0c84c9f5ff84200a804--spider-humor-funny-spider.jpg
0bae5e7a4d222547c50545b7bf620d08.jpg

I usually let the cellar spiders be, they keep to their arrangement. I think I read somewhere their venom is really poisonous but they can't bite humans.... but if they could.
5f3f66a0ca6ab.jpeg

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Off topic, but here are some memorable spider stories.

Back home we have these large spiders called huntsmans. When I was a kid, I squished one and millions of smaller spiders came out of it and rapidly ran up my shoes. This did not go to plan. Below is what they look like.

E4B24631-11F1-43C0-AA7F-4CFA4068F0C2.jpeg

Another time, when I was about 10, we were driving home from a weekend away and a huntsman appeared on the window, inside the car, right next to my head. As you can imagine, I was not enthralled about this situation and very calmly expressed my feelings about the matter to my father. Dad was already in a great mood, from an eventful family weekend. Subsequently, he concluded that the best course of action wasn't to pull over and address the crisis, but to wait until we got home. We were about half an hour from home. It was the longest half an hour of my life. Good times.

In my mid 20s, I moved in with two girls. They were not the most vigilant, when it came to upkeep of the house, but they did have other redeeming attributes. I decided that it would be my mission to tidy up the yard. I soon discovered that the outdoor furniture was covered in redbacks, which are the 2nd most dangerous spider in the world. When I say covered, I mean it; roughly 10-20 spiders per chair. I've never seen anything like it.

"Did you know the chairs are covered in redbacks?"
"Oh. Yeah. We just don't use those."
🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Off topic, but here are some memorable spider stories.

Back home we have these large spiders called huntsmans. When I was a kid, I squished one and millions of smaller spiders came out of it and rapidly ran up my shoes. This did not go to plan. Below is what they look like.

View attachment 35725

Another time, when I was about 10, we were driving home from a weekend away and a huntsman appeared on the window, inside the car, right next to my head. As you can imagine, I was not enthralled about this situation and very calmly expressed my feelings about the matter to my father. Dad was already in a great mood, from an eventful family weekend. Subsequently, he concluded that the best course of action wasn't to pull over and address the crisis, but to wait until we got home. We were about half an hour from home. It was the longest half an hour of my life. Good times.

In my mid 20s, I moved in with two girls. They were not the most vigilant, when it came to upkeep of the house, but they did have other redeeming attributes. I decided that it would be my mission to tidy up the yard. I soon discovered that the outdoor furniture was covered in redbacks, which are the 2nd most dangerous spider in the world. When I say covered, I mean it; roughly 10-20 spiders per chair. I've never seen anything like it.

"Did you know the chairs are covered in redbacks?"
"Oh. Yeah. We just don't use those."
🤦🏻‍♂️

I liked that pic going around on the internet a few years ago of a Huntsman climbing up the wall carrying a raw strip of bacon. They are like ninja land crabs and will eat your food?!?!……No thanks! I’ll stay up here in the northern hemisphere…

Zak

Legend
Two weeks ago I was sitting on "the throne" and a big house spider ran along the outside edge of the tub. I picked up the cloth shower mat by my feet at rattail snapped it at the spider, killing it. Immediately, a wave of what looked like a couple hundred tiny spider flowed out in an expanding ring from the dead spider. All I could do was watch, and then when my business was finished try get as many as I could wiped up with a damp paper towel.

I don't like spiders.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My office window buddy just scored a Big Mac for dinner.
Kind of entertaining watch it work.
SF

E99E3294-5E0C-4561-9CB1-F3165004A979.jpegDAD7021C-467C-4607-AE1F-F9C848EB0E70.jpeg2F6AA847-44F3-43D8-BE1F-45102C206D8C.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My office window buddy just scored a Big Mac for dinner.
Kind of entertaining watch it work.
SF
Looks like not the brown marmorated but the Euro Green Stinkbug. Way to tie back to another thread!