We got these spiders coming in...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Ok it's that time of year, how are we killing them? I was awakened out of a dead sleep last night by a spider crawling across my back, it had enough 'heft' to it to wake me up... :oops: I am two things, arachniphobic and claustrophobic... After I came down off the roof I located it with a flashlight in the crack between the bed an wall inaccessible to the paper towel. So I had to fashion a 4am killing device, which ended up being a dowel with a paper towel rubber banded to the end. The culprit jumped on the dowel after dodging the first blow. I was then able to extract him and rush him to a watery grave, not before I got a picture for proof when the wife doubts my story in the AM. Not the biggest European house spider I've seen (almost hand sized streached out) but big enough. So what's the best way? Glue traps? Claymores? I don't want to use spray. Are there any pheromone attractant traps? I'm heading to the hardware store today and I'm not coming home without ample supplies to stop the blitzkrieg.
20221006_032645.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Housies? Live and let live. Like having a silverfish sentry that worried about a salary or perks.
In general I agree with you but they have to hold up their part of the bargain, which includes not running across my body at night, or any other time. The more they stay out of sight, the better. Don’t be strolling across the middle of the floor while I and the wife are watching a movie. I will be compelled to act on such an incursion.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
In general I agree with you but they have to hold up their part of the bargain, which includes not running across my body at night, or any other time. The more they stay out of sight, the better. Don’t be strolling across the middle of the floor while I and the wife are watching a movie. I will be compelled to act on such an incursion.
Yea I draw the line at tap dancing on my back! In general I'm not murdering every spider I see outside, but inside it's different.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Haven't seen any of the big monsters inside...yet. The outside spiders are really going to town though.
I have a big one who's web is positioned perfectly outside my home office window. I kind of enjoy watching how they move so quickly when Mr. or Mrs. unfortunate flies into its web. The thing has been eating well lately. It is starting to look like a male humpy.
Not cool is walking out to your rig in the morning and getting an unexpected face full of spider web and an occasional cling-on that comes with it.
SF

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was going to feed the fish in the pond last nite. I walked center bullseye into a spider. It landed on my nose. It lived only because i swatted at it like a lil girl.
Not a bloody nose, but i made my eyes water.

Lol.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
On a somewhat related note: I'm still unclear if there are or are not brown recluses in Washington. Went down a rabbit hole not too long ago searching for answers and came away more confused.

t_law

Steelhead
There are Brown Recluse spiders in WA. I killed a big one that crept out from under the stove in my Lynnwood house quite a few years ago. It was sluggish so I put a glass over it while I verified it's identity online. I've let a lot of spiders live but not that one.
Not saying it didn't happen, but generally speaking the Brown Recluse doesn't live in Washington.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Ok it's that time of year, how are we killing them? I was awakened out of a dead sleep last night by a spider crawling across my back, it had enough 'heft' to it to wake me up... :oops: I am two things, arachniphobic and claustrophobic... After I came down off the roof I located it with a flashlight in the crack between the bed an wall inaccessible to the paper towel. So I had to fashion a 4am killing device, which ended up being a dowel with a paper towel rubber banded to the end. The culprit jumped on the dowel after dodging the first blow. I was then able to extract him and rush him to a watery grave, not before I got a picture for proof when the wife doubts my story in the AM. Not the biggest European house spider I've seen (almost hand sized streached out) but big enough. So what's the best way? Glue traps? Claymores? I don't want to use spray. Are there any pheromone attractant traps? I'm heading to the hardware store today and I'm not coming home without ample supplies to stop the blitzkrieg.
View attachment 35554
Those are a fast spider and WILL square off with you when cornered. (Experience… 😉)

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Not saying it didn't happen, but generally speaking the Brown Recluse doesn't live in Washington.
As weather gets seasonably warmer in the northern states and interstate commerce frequency increases… don’t bet on the BR not being in WA and OR.

The EHS started up in Vancouver BC via shipping commerce and they have made their way to OR in fairly short order.

Neither species are wanted “BnB” “indoor” houseguests.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Check out the "Bugzooka" great piece of household gear, very effective and easy to use. Once captured they can be let go outside or you can plot their demise. We've used one for years, highly recommend even kids and spouses that are bug skittish will want to deploy this weapon!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I spray around all potential spider routes of entry every couple weeks this time of year. Disposed of one of the largest Black Widows I've ever seen adjacent to the freshly-treated front door this morning. 'Tis the time of year when spiders are seeking a winter haven.

Jim F.

Jim F.

I thought bug-a-salt would just piss the big spiders off. Does it really work on the big ones?
I've dispatched large Black Widows with mine. That's the only spider I view as undesirable around here. The salt shooter will irritate wasps, however.

Reactions: Zak

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
There are Brown Recluse spiders in WA. I killed a big one that crept out from under the stove in my Lynnwood house quite a few years ago. It was sluggish so I put a glass over it while I verified it's identity online. I've let a lot of spiders live but not that one.
This is why I find this topic fascinating.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
That was one large spider. I never worry about them. They live their lives and I live mine. The same with bees. I don't harass them and they will leave you alone.