NFR Water in Your Whisky?

Non-fishing related

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

Theron

Keeper of the bees
You can do what I do and never add water to your whiskey that way they all taste different. I do admit to adding a drop or two to barrel strength bourbon from time to time.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
From another trusted source (Frank Sinatra): “A splash of water brings out flavor”. So, I add a half ounce some of the time, or a couple ice cubes and let it chill (more often) or just drink it neat and enjoy the burn.
Except that I haven’t touched spirits in months now.

RCF

Life of the Party
If you need to add water then you are not drinking good whiskey.

If you want to add an ice cube, but do not have to, then you are drinking good whiskey.

If you must add water and ice cubes, then you are not a whiskey drinker but may have a drinking issue...

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I usually throw mine in a shaker with 2 cubes or 2 frozen rocks, depending on the bottle and my mood. Chill it down, the ice will water it a touch and the aeration does a lot for the more subtle flavors.

I understand that chilling it inherently reduces those more subtle flavors, dont @ me.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
It was more than a decade ago that I read about adding a bit of water (fresh spring water according to one Scottish distillery) to open up the flavor of whisky, and whiskey too, I presume. So I started doing that, and it does make a difference. The linked article is right about 20% being too much. At that point it's dilution and a mixed drink.

Reactions: RCF

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I sometimes dilute cheaper whiskeys as much as 1:1, so that I can drink for a long time and not lose my brain.

If I want to actually appreciate a whiskey, I always drink it neat.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
You guys are missing out on a whole wide world out there. Nothing like a Chivas and water on the rocks, out on the patio on a hot summer day.
Sometimes it's dry flies, sometimes streamers or nymphing.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I enjoy good whiskey just fine. But I’m ok with moderately priced whiskey too. I bounce around between JD, Makers, Jamison, Beam and Old Grand Dad. Some years back I went on a “Scotch Whisky Tour”, right here at home, trying several high end varieties, most in the $100 to $200 range. I learned two things: 1) This idea of having a “wee dram” is romantic bullshit. My wee dram is three fingers in a water glass. 2) I guess I’m just a cheap date. Partly because of #1 I burned through a grand+ in under 2 months. I am just as happy with my old standbys. But that’s just me. If you want to drink high end whiskey, you have my blessing:)

Add on: Chivas (yes, a blend) is my favorite scotch. Somehow (to me) a blended scotch has a more balanced flavor than single malts.
Perhaps a personal failing.

Last edited: