UV Resin

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I have that allergic reaction to it, too - but only to Solarez. Which is unfortunate, because that one seems to have the least-tacky cure!
Like SF and Clarkman, I give it a quick coat of nail polish. I use SH Insta Dry, though. Dries very fast - under a minute - and there's a clear version with iridescent glitter if you want a little bling.

Ok, back to the nail section at Uncle Freddy’s ;)
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Wow that is a good deal, even comes with a light. Let us know how it works. I have always used the Solar-EZ which work well for me but are a bit more $$$.

As an aside... I've found that a lot of the wide angle UV curing lights aren't too powerful at curing UV resin. But a while back I found a UV laser pointer type of light that works really well. The concentrated UV beam lets me rapidly and precisely cure the resin, especially on small heads when I'm just using it as head cement. The only downside is when doing big heads, or curing long lengths of resin used on fly line splices, I really have to move the laser beam back and forth and all over to get complete coverage.

I tried to find a link for the UV laser but could only find this combo kit on amazon that comes with what looks like the light I have;

-andy

tkww

Steelhead
I'm using @Silvercreek resin, and I find it dries fairly tack-free. Enough so that I don't feel a need to coat it. I also have some of his thin resin, though I mostly use the thick. The one thing I've noticed is that the thin resin has way more UV reflection. I don't know if this is true with other brands, or that the fish really care about it. But I will likely try a few experiments this year just to see if I can detect a fish-catching difference.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have pretty much moved to Gulff (with a topcoat of SHHAN) but still use sometimes use Loon Knot Sense.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I bought some Loon Knot Sense a couple years ago and use it to cover nail knots where leaders attach to my fly line. I set it out in the sun to cure. I put it on some sink tips that needed new loops in my basement a while back and noticed that they didn't dry even after a week. No direct sunlight. I guess that means I need to get one of these UV lights and add to my collection of fly tying gadgets.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I bought some Loon Knot Sense a couple years ago and use it to cover nail knots where leaders attach to my fly line. I set it out in the sun to cure. I put it on some sink tips that needed new loops in my basement a while back and noticed that they didn't dry even after a week. No direct sunlight. I guess that means I need to get one of these UV lights and add to my collection of fly tying gadgets.
you could try tying tighter knots...

kidding of course.

There was a member on the other site that touted his lights as the best. they're not (neither is that person's resin imo). I ended up grabbing the little Loon one that has a zoom feature and that light works the best out of anything I've tried....then, when you can, set it out in the sun when you have a chance.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I was talking to a dentist that is a customer and I shared that we have UV fly tying stuff that must be similar to what they have for fillings. He told me in dentistry that they quite using UV and just go with a blue light, 400nm wavelength if I remember correctly. The wavelength of the light is probably important for a proper cure.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just started to use Solarez and luckily with no reactions (yet). Do those who use it re-cap the little bottles after they are done or use the little capsule to cover the tip of applicator pipe fitting you put on the little bottle like in the picture?
Mike

solarez.jpg

Shad

Life of the Party
Watch this video, before you start using it. It's not as innocuous as many think it is.

I've moved away from using UV resin, except where it is essential. Using it, with the proper safety measures, is too much of a hassle.

Thanks for posting that. I just started using UV resin about a year ago (mostly just to seal up heads), and no issues yet, but I think I had better start handling it more carefully (and not getting right up close while I cure it!) before I get to that point.