Unknown Bamboo

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That indentation on the cork is pretty distinctive. Is that a somewhat common thing?

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That indentation on the cork is pretty distinctive. Is that a somewhat common thing?
Kind of reminiscent of Wes Jordan’s “comficient” thumb indentation grip but on a 360° axis from when he was the main man at the Big O and previously South Bend before WW2. Tho it would be a mass produced, easy to glue and slide application for post war rods. Anybody know if he had a patent on that grip style? Inquiring minds……

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you are concerned about the wraps being uncoated, you could carefully and tightly overwrap them all with plumbers Teflon tape, then lawn cast the rod. When you are ready to varnish the wraps (if needed) just remove the Teflon tape and go for it.

Mike

Chris M

Steelhead
If you are concerned about the wraps being uncoated, you could carefully and tightly overwrap them all with plumbers Teflon tape, then lawn cast the rod. When you are ready to varnish the wraps (if needed) just remove the Teflon tape and go for it.

Mike
Mike, great idea using teflon tape. One could even use it experimenting with guide spacing. No tape residue to clean off.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok, I’m finally coming back to this rod!

Question: if I used epoxy to finish the guides, will some bamboo god come strike me down? Im currently set up with flex coat lite and don’t have any varnish and don’t necessarily want to buy any.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
The bamboo gods may try, but Steve has the potion and incantations to keep them at bay.