Unknown Bamboo

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know this is a long shot but I’ll try anyways.

I was given this bamboo rod recently and it has no markings on it. It was given to me not by the original owner, and he didn’t know anything about it. No maker marks, no line weight, nothing. It’s in decent condition (I think—I’ve never actually even touched boo) other than a bit of tip set (does it even matter?). It’s a 9’ 3 piece, and it’s REAL hefty—maybe ~1/2” in diameter in the butt section.

I know this is not a lot of information but maybe the wrappings give it away? Any guess on where to start with line weight? Sure I could try every line I have but maybe based off the diameter of the butt, it would give me a place to start? Not to mention most of my higher weight lines are of the streamer junk throwing variety. For what it’s worth, this isn’t an inquiry about value to sell, I want to fish this thing!

Tim41CC1F13-6B04-4503-9B9A-AAAE2844A672.jpegCB7886A8-98BE-489C-855D-A929C40DD50F.jpegFC2AF646-4A6B-41CF-82AC-BE383F14774C.jpeg600CF7E9-E379-434B-BFE2-120C7E1C83A8.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Not sure of the maker....but start with a five wt dry line and go up from there. Just remember to slow your casting stroke way down from plastic rods. Maybe post it on the Classicflyrodforum, they might help.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Is it me, or has the wrapping not been varnished - looks like it has just been wrapped

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Now you need a good heavy medalist to balance