NFR Ukraine...Little Did I Know

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I got confused when I heard some newspeople say "vacuum bomb" to describe the smaller thermobaric weapon. Not sure if they just made that shit up because it sounded good or if someone else told them to call it that. I should know better than to get military terminology from Wolf Blitzer.
Yeah that's probably what they did, Mingo. Anything to make,it more sensational and lead the other networks.
Personally, when it comes to reporters using information like this, the rule should be, if you dont have experience with it, don't spout it.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Vacuumed bomb is a thermobaric weapon.
Heat and pressure. It is so hot it consumes all the oxygen in and area creating a vacuum.
Victims will be burned and the vacuum will be so great their lungs will be ripped out through their mouths.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
What is troubling me as I write this is, what is the goal of Putin...now. The first rule of setting goals is to make them attainable. I believe his goal of a quick, forceful regime change and a Ukranian acknowledgment of the annexation of Crimea, and the eastern regions of Donetsk & Luhansk...and western Europe, the US and the rest of the world would verbally protest and slap ineffective sanctions (as they've done many times before) has not come to fruition. He is a man of great ego...and not seeing an easy exit ramp from this fiasco, I fear a worst-case scenario...

Please tell me I'm wrong.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I think economic sanctions, plus the recent departure of BP and Shell, and a lot of other transnationals, has them trying to plug their financial leaks.,

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Yet.

Actually the similarities are too stark to ignore. A blitzkrieg type of invasion of a much weaker country that was unprovoked with the underlying threat to all of the neighboring nations. Hitler didn't kill 11 million Jews and POW's in the first two weeks of the war either. He ramped up a death industry over the years. Again we seem to be failing to learn the lessons of the past.
You are a wise man in good company.

I just read the following: “
162 Nobel laureates ( nlcampaigns.org/Nobel_Signator… ) have signed a letter in support of Ukraine ( nlcampaigns.org/Nobel_Appeal_f… ), which directly compares Putin's attack on Ukraine with Hitler's attack on Poland.

And rightly so, smart people, these Nobelists.”

J

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Actually, before ‘translate tweet’, it said

162 нобелевских лауреата (nlcampaigns.org/Nobel_Signator…) подписали письмо в поддержку Украины (nlcampaigns.org/Nobel_Appeal_f…), в котором прямо сравнивают нападение Путина на Украину с нападением Гитлера на Польшу.

И правильно делают, умные люди эти нобелиаты.

J

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
What is troubling me as I write this is, what is the goal of Putin...now. The first rule of setting goals is to make them attainable. I believe his goal of a quick, forceful regime change and a Ukranian acknowledgment of the annexation of Crimea, and the eastern regions of Donetsk & Luhansk...and western Europe, the US and the rest of the world would verbally protest and slap ineffective sanctions (as they've done many times before) has not come to fruition. He is a man of great ego...and not seeing an easy exit ramp from this fiasco, I fear a worst-case scenario...

You are a wise man in good company.

I just read the following: “
162 Nobel laureates ( nlcampaigns.org/Nobel_Signator… ) have signed a letter in support of Ukraine ( nlcampaigns.org/Nobel_Appeal_f… ), which directly compares Putin's attack on Ukraine with Hitler's attack on Poland.

And rightly so, smart people, these Nobelists.”

J

Umm not meaning to take anything away from these smart guys but most of us have been making the comparison to Hitler and Poland for quite a while not. It's not rocket science.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Arab News: Apple joins Google and other Western firms spurning Russia over Ukraine.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Moving on here...

Evidently this guy followed up his original offer of one million to point out that if a thousand others joined him, that'd be a billion.
Likely won't come to pass, as a million ain't what it used to be of course, but run it to 20 million or so, and you never know...
These days Russia is in an economic downturn/collapse that will continue for some time...perhaps longer than Putin will be around to see the end of.
;)

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If someone wanted to take the bounty idea more seriously, using cryptocurrency, a smart contract and donations would be the way to do it.

The idea of Ukraine paying Russian soldiers to lay down their arms is also genius.

I think HE believes his goal is still attainable, and I don't think we know enough at this point to say that he's wrong. We are seeing many promising signs that this isn't going his way: Ukrainian people are hard-nosed bad asses, Russian military are unmotivated and poorly supplied, and our allies are united (for once!). And yet they keep coming.

I keep reading that it took the US 3 weeks to invade iraq, destroy the military and government. And that was the easy part, we were there for ~8 years until we 'left' the first time. They're not even a week into the invasion, and no matter how many feel-good news stories we see about a captured Russian calling his mom in tears, there are thousands that will grind it out. That's one thing they are good at, grinding it out. How long will Putin grind it out, even if all signs point to failure with massive casualties and embarrassment? I'm guessing much longer than most would predict.

Please tell ME i'm wrong :(... All that i can see is a bunch of good people suffering, and it sure looks like more will suffer before this is over. The emotion in the Ukrainian ambassador's face at the SOTU last night was heartbreaking.

RCF

Life of the Party
Status
Not open for further replies.