Tying Soft Hackle Flies

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Here are some north country spiders. The black spider uses brown silk thread for the body and a starling hackle. The brown spiders use yellow silk thread for the body and brown hen hackle. The grey spiders use yellow silk thread for the body and a small grey hackle (I use California Quail).
7E88352D-F966-4BF3-BDD2-00A569AD09F3_1_105_c.jpeg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Size 12, 14 and 16 is what you need. Olive, orange and yellow. I sometimes tie on a single strand of crystal flash under the partridge hackle. You can see it in the pic. I tried an experiment fishing three flies on the River Guar on the rannoch moor several years ago and the fish seemed to prefer the soft hackle with the flash.
View attachment 106192
Dave - what do you typically use for the body? Floss or a certain type of dubbing?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Mostly pearsalls silk for body. I bought a bunch of spools when they went out of business. Tied The orange and yellow and olive partridge hackles paul young style with a body consisting of a single thin strand on orange or yellow or olive unwool.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Less is more with the hackle. Pick up a copy of Dave Hughes Wet Flies

View attachment 106177
About 15 years ago that book changed my whole fishing world (and Western Hatches). I was fishing dries or the latest and the greatest in magazines before I found them. There is just something about a soft hackle wet fly. When it's warm that partridge and orange is great, but year round I like a soft hackle hares ear. I have some unweighted with brown partridge or wood duck tails, yellow thread and rib (march browns) for when mayflies are about. The fly I currently fish most has evolved since I found that book. ScottP has me layering hackles now. Here partridge and grouse, but marked hen is good too.
20240224_043206.jpg
I started fishing these soft hackle diving caddis last year and they were really good in 12 and 14.
1709979314334.png

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It is not possible to have too many soft hackles. I tye a few standards but mostly make them up as I go along predominantly using pearsall's and game bird feathers from Golden Plover to Starling and every thing in between. One of my favorite feathers is the rusty brown from a Bob White Quail. I often put a collar on them to keep the umbrella shaped hackle pulsing in moving water.

My box is getting sparse. I better get busy.
IMG_20240310_095009630_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240310_095018019_HDR.jpg

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Cliff,

If you dont know this, you can still look up all those great patterns and info for FlyAnglers Online. At least I could last Fall.

Terrible shame when there stopped being an active Fly Anglers Online.

I still go back for a lot of their Bass Patterns.

Nothing much more fun than a grab on a swung fly.

Happy Sunday.

Bob

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Soft hackles, flymphs, wet flies without wings, sunken dries....Love 'em. I won a box of wonderful ties in a raffle at nwexpo this last weekend, and was lucky enough to sit down with the tyer William Lovelace, aka Roadkill on flymphforum.com. These are a great genre of flys, easy to tie, comfy to fish, buggy as hell, and very very attractive to the object of our desire.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
While we're on the topic of soft hackles, I came across this Pearsall's Silk Color Chart (wet & dry)....the unique thing about this chart is it shows the colors wrapped on hooks both dry silk and wet, the color change when wet is really significant

I bought some black cobbler's wax and was waxing primrose yellow with it for Greenwells Glory wet flies. Made a nice translucent green/dun. Kind of a PITA to do, but it's fun trying out traditional methods on these traditional flies.

Cliff

Steelhead
@Cliff,

If you dont know this, you can still look up all those great patterns and info for FlyAnglers Online. At least I could last Fall.

Terrible shame when there stopped being an active Fly Anglers Online.

I still go back for a lot of their Bass Patterns.

Nothing much more fun than a grab on a swung fly.

Happy Sunday.

Bob
Thanks for the tip.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846