Tying Soft Hackle Flies

Cliff

Steelhead
Hello, I'm going to start tying some old fashioned wet flies and I will start with the classic Partridge & Orange pattern. It looks pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure what size hook to use. I've not really fished these old fashioned wet flies much and I'm unsure which size would be the best size for pacific northwest waters, including Montana trout fishing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cliff

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just based on my past usage, but size 12 would be a good starting point and you can go up or down in size from there.
Have fun and post some of your flies once you tie some up.
SF

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Soft hackles can be a great approach in lots of situations, including finicky rising fish. I’d probably choose a 14 or 16 in caddis colors if I only got one, but last summer I used everything from 18 or 20 (midges on the Owyhee) to 8 or 10 (drakes at Railroad Ranch.) Different sizes, colors, thicknesses, weights can all work. Hard to have too many!IMG_2294.jpeg

Cliff

Steelhead
Soft hackles can be a great approach in lots of situations, including finicky rising fish. I’d probably choose a 14 or 16 in caddis colors if I only got one, but last summer I used everything from 18 or 20 (midges on the Owyhee) to 8 or 10 (drakes at Railroad Ranch.) Different sizes, colors, thicknesses, weights can all work. Hard to have too many!View attachment 106137
Very helpful info, Hoofer, thank you.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
14 or a 16 Tiemco 200R is what I use 90% of the time. The slight limerick bend combined with the wire size gets em hooked and keeps em hooked. Also, I have become a huge fan of Rio fluoroflex strong in 4.5x for swinging soft hackles. It's spendy, but it strong, knots well and it's the perfect diameter.

Zoran

Steelhead
I just tied few north country spiders. They are very simple and I have several spools from Kimono Silk (Superior Threads).

IMG-6603.jpg
IMG-6604.jpg
IMG-6605.jpg
IMG-6606.jpg
IMG-6607.jpg

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Size 12, 14 and 16 is what you need. Olive, orange and yellow. I sometimes tie on a single strand of crystal flash under the partridge hackle. You can see it in the pic. I tried an experiment fishing three flies on the River Guar on the rannoch moor several years ago and the fish seemed to prefer the soft hackle with the flash.
F05D6221-4BE0-4046-AB1A-205111E7F8B7_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: