Tuna 2024

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks, Steve - I will do some explorin' around here. If my memory serves, the "tube flies" I shared above, were tied on hard plastic tubing (I seem to recall it was hydraulic tubing). AutoZone doesn't carry anything like that so...... a bit more checking.

Very nice offer, Jake! Perhaps if time and circumstances permit.

Those "tube flies" of mine tied before we moved to Ephrata (therefore before March, 1986), most likely 1980/81, were tied on an old Thompson vise. I seem to remember I jerryrigged a clothes hanger with electricians tape to hold the tube from spinning. (The memory could be a fantasy or figment too.)
A few wraps of tying thread around the rod can work, too.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This one was tied on a cheap sacrificial mustad hook then clipped off. You can use shank too, same thing.
1712499822859.jpeg

Turns out I tied and fished the same program last year—sacrificial front hook cut off, some kind of heavy fluoro for the hook loop (20 lb?) and then I used what I had on hand with an upturned eye, which looks like a big Gami Octopus. Nothing fancy! Held up to some pretty big fish just fine.
I forgot that I did it this way last year, lol. I think I wanted to use the spawn heads and didn’t like how much they closed hook gap on a standard tie.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 109761

Turns out I tied and fished the same program last year—sacrificial front hook cut off, some kind of heavy fluoro for the hook loop (20 lb?) and then I used what I had on hand with an upturned eye, which looks like a big Gami Octopus. Nothing fancy! Held up to some pretty big fish just fine.
I forgot that I did it this way last year, lol. I think I wanted to use the spawn heads and didn’t like how much they closed hook gap on a standard tie.
I'm curious what size head you're using (and you as well @Kfish); "Spawn Crew Boss fly heads" or "Spawn Sniper fly heads", or something completely different? My neighbor gave me a head (Spawn? Fish Skull? or?), the thing is HUGE on a size 2/0. (I know, damn rookie.)

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I'm curious what size head you're using (and you as well @Kfish); "Spawn Crew Boss fly heads" or "Spawn Sniper fly heads", or something completely different? My neighbor gave me a head (Spawn? Fish Skull? or?), the thing is HUGE on a size 2/0. (I know, damn rookie.)

I like the crash test dummy but curious what others prefer as well.

I’ve had my best luck with this size. I prefer to use a shank versus a hook as well. Don’t like the jagged edge of a snipped off hook. Also like the extra weight of a waddington shank. It’s also a super easy platform to tie on. You do have to manipulate the shank or spawn head to make it work though.

This fly did really well one trip last year. So much that I have it hanging on my tying tool caddy to this day so I know which one it is. It’ll be the first fly I fish this year!

IMG_4754.jpeg

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've used the Crew Boss heads. Works well on 4/0 hooks.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I had to look up my old order from Spawn, but those are crew boss heads. I think they were on sale. They are pretty big but they work (with a larger hook or a stinger) and don’t feel like a sock with a 600 grain line and a 12 weight. Good to know that the crash test dummy is a good slightly smaller option.