Tuna 2023

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Now that bluefin are in the sound, just wait until these start showing up!
SF

IMG_4101.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I didn't read through this post so apologies if "bluefin" tactics have been discussed. Two weeks ago our daughter's neighbor (Torrance, CA) gave her a large piece of bluefin plus half the collar. We had pan seared bluefin, bluefin poke and grilled bluefin collar - all three delicious. I had the chance to thank the neighbor and asked him about the fishing. He caught this fish 50 miles offshore, he goes out with two of his buddies. One guy drives the boat, one guy mans the rod (with a two speed reel) and: the third guy mans either a balloon or a kite to get the bait way back behind the boat. Apparently these large fish can be quite boat shy/disturbance shy so they get the bait way back behind the boat.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First of many nayat squids, courtesy of @clarkman for the care package of nayat and premium bucktail. I had no idea BT could be such a nice material, but then I've always bought the cheap stuff. I'd say tie a bunch of these, or something similar, but no telling what they'll want this year.

1689468649991.png

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
First of many nayat squids, courtesy of @clarkman for the care package of nayat and premium bucktail. I had no idea BT could be such a nice material, but then I've always bought the cheap stuff. I'd say tie a bunch of these, or something similar, but no telling what they'll want this year.

View attachment 73024
I'm probably making a mistake pumping up Primo tail, but any Premium bucktail locally sourced by those Midwest folks is always going to be light years ahead of the garbage in our shops out here.

Squid looks killer!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just got a very reliable report that it is slim pickins within sport boat range still. The hordes are still just out of reach. The people much smarter than me are predicting end of the month of so.