Truthful Pyramid Lake Report

Just got back from my annual trip to Pyramid and it was very very tough.

We fished Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and all day Saturday. We had bright sun the entire time except for a few hours of hazy overcast on Saturday afternoon. We did have two sessions with decent in our face wind and good wave action into the beach but the fish didn't respond.

Tactics used:
1. Sinking lines and stripping the usual Pyramid stuff ( I used the RIO OBS I/5/7 which I started using last year). Used both switch rods and 9ft SHers.
2. Indicators on both 9ft SHers and Switch rods. I used the RIO Switch Chucker on my Redington Chromer. Really liked that setup.
3. Two guys used spin rods a fair bit with large spoons.

So here are the "results" - 4 guys fished pretty hard and we landed 6 fish total with the biggest being under 5#.

Let me add a little more context to this group too.
Two guys have extensive stillwater experience, in fact, almost all of our trout fishing is on stillwaters.
One guy has a decent amount of stillwater experience but doesn't fish near as often as the first two guys.
One guy doesn't fish a lot and he ended up using the spin rod most of the time.

And FWIW we saw very few fish caught by others!

Just a very tough trip and in looking over our logs we think you can break your Pyramid Trips into equal percentages as follows:
1 in 3 trips will be pretty good with numerous sessions where you are getting fish.
1 in 3 trips will be ok with at least one session where you are getting into fish.
1 in 3 trips will suck like this one.

Certainly you will never catch a fish sitting in your living room and at the P every cast has the potential to result in a double digit fish. But it is also important for guys who haven't been there to hear the truth and not just set their expectations based upon IG and FB posts. I have no problem going on a trip and when its a bust telling people so and this one as a massive bust.

GLC

Smolt
Here's a link for Rob's blog.

You know that the winds are something you should take very seriously when a Guide Service has Quick Links to "Real Time Wind Gauge and Lake Wind Forecast" included in their website.

Last edited:

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Ifsteve great honest report.

Thank you.

To clear something up that was mentioned in this thread regarding the use of milk crates.

15.6 USE OF LADDERS, ETC. Any ladders, milk crates, boxes or other objects used in the water as
a fishing aid must be occupied or closely attended (i.e. remain in the area) by fishermen at all
times. Any person who leaves such objects unoccupied in the water for more than one hour will
be deemed guilty of littering.
15.6.1 Fishing aids described above must have a permanent tag affixed that has the name,
address, and phone number of the owner of the fishing aid. If the permitted angler using the
fishing aid is not the owner, the owner will be the responsible party for any infractions by the
permitted angler.

Some of us still find utility in mobility. (y)

On the box.jpg

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Ifsteve great honest report.

Thank you.

To clear something up that was mentioned in this thread regarding the use of milk crates.

15.6 USE OF LADDERS, ETC. Any ladders, milk crates, boxes or other objects used in the water as
a fishing aid must be occupied or closely attended (i.e. remain in the area) by fishermen at all
times. Any person who leaves such objects unoccupied in the water for more than one hour will
be deemed guilty of littering.
15.6.1 Fishing aids described above must have a permanent tag affixed that has the name,
address, and phone number of the owner of the fishing aid. If the permitted angler using the
fishing aid is not the owner, the owner will be the responsible party for any infractions by the
permitted angler.

Some of us still find utility in mobility. (y)

View attachment 108426
Thanks for correction. Nice ! Milk crate was really convenient for my style if I needed that lift. Nice to know I can drag it with me still when I make an overdo return.

Last edited:

jeradjames

Steelhead
After perusing this thread I decided to hit a lake in Washington with Lahontan Cutts Monday and Tuesday with my fiancee. Not Pyramid, maybe I’ll make it one day, but it sure was fun for a few hours of fishing each day. We were able to get into a lot of fish. A little bit underwhelmed with how these fish fight and the takes were soft. A 12-14 inch sea run fights harder than most of the fish we got into. Tons of color variations on these and just a stunning fish. Some more gold, some quite a bit lighter, and some really dark almost black cutts.

IMG_1594.jpegIMG_8747.jpeg

Smith

Steelhead
Not sure where in the heck that you heard this but its not even remotely accurate. I have personally fished lots of different beaches there from a ladder.

And for those interested in going there you really need to read Rob Anderson's blog on what is happening at that Lake. The fishery is vastly changed now. The when to go and how to fish it can be much different now due to the behavior of the Pilot Peak strain of fish. Much different critter than the Summit strain.
I just looked at the blog. Lots of good info there. I think I would wait until June to fish. skip the ladder.