Truthful Pyramid Lake Report

Just got back from my annual trip to Pyramid and it was very very tough.

We fished Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and all day Saturday. We had bright sun the entire time except for a few hours of hazy overcast on Saturday afternoon. We did have two sessions with decent in our face wind and good wave action into the beach but the fish didn't respond.

Tactics used:
1. Sinking lines and stripping the usual Pyramid stuff ( I used the RIO OBS I/5/7 which I started using last year). Used both switch rods and 9ft SHers.
2. Indicators on both 9ft SHers and Switch rods. I used the RIO Switch Chucker on my Redington Chromer. Really liked that setup.
3. Two guys used spin rods a fair bit with large spoons.

So here are the "results" - 4 guys fished pretty hard and we landed 6 fish total with the biggest being under 5#.

Let me add a little more context to this group too.
Two guys have extensive stillwater experience, in fact, almost all of our trout fishing is on stillwaters.
One guy has a decent amount of stillwater experience but doesn't fish near as often as the first two guys.
One guy doesn't fish a lot and he ended up using the spin rod most of the time.

And FWIW we saw very few fish caught by others!

Just a very tough trip and in looking over our logs we think you can break your Pyramid Trips into equal percentages as follows:
1 in 3 trips will be pretty good with numerous sessions where you are getting fish.
1 in 3 trips will be ok with at least one session where you are getting into fish.
1 in 3 trips will suck like this one.

Certainly you will never catch a fish sitting in your living room and at the P every cast has the potential to result in a double digit fish. But it is also important for guys who haven't been there to hear the truth and not just set their expectations based upon IG and FB posts. I have no problem going on a trip and when its a bust telling people so and this one as a massive bust.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pyramid Lake is large enough that it has currents and makes its own weather. Swells and wind waves can get downright impressive! When the wind howls, you just cowboy up and do the best you can. Like many places, either plan on taking several days to figure it out, go with someone that knows, or hire a guide.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
The game at Pyramid is to cast, cast, cast, and cast some more so that your flies are out on the drop offs when a fish or pod of fish swim by.

There is just no comparing how one fishes at Henry's vs Pyramid. Night and day different kinds of fisheries.

are there other lakes where ladders rule? Is the pyramid drop off unique in some way and does it surround the lake or is in certain know sites and that's where all the fishermen go?

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
are there other lakes where ladders rule? Is the pyramid drop off unique in some way and does it surround the lake or is in certain know sites and that's where all the fishermen go?
As far as I know there isn't another place where ladders are the game although they certainly would work elsewhere. For Pyramid its a combination of the water and structure and fish behavior that make the ladder use so necessary.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pyramid winds can be wicked. I took my son out there to show him some of the petroglyphs and stopped near Sutcliffe to explore near the lake. Chris climbed up onto a truck-sized boulder so I could take a photo of him with the lake in the background. I pressed the shutter, the viewfinder went black as the mirror flipped up, the mirror dropped back down, no Chris. In that brief moment the wind had blown him off the rock. He was 13.

justahack

Just Hatched
Early in my flyfishing I fished Henry's in Id. quite a bit. We paddled hard up wind then drifted and stripped flys nailed big fish. We covered lots of water. Winds can get big at Henry's causing big waves and swamping small boats. I guess I just don't understand what happens in pyramid. If it is so windy you need to be stationed on a ladder how does one cast in that wind or cover water past 100ft circle of your ladder? Do people cast 360 off the ladder then pick it up and move and cast again to cover water?
Henry’s is maybe a couple miles across and 20’ deep at most, a typical shallow trout lake. Pyramid is 5 miles across at the narrowest, 12 at the widest, maybe 20-25 miles long, and well over 300’ deep. It’s a giant bowl, with very steep drops from most of the shoreline. It’s also contained entirely within the Paiute reservation and most of the shoreline is nowhere near any kind of road. You don’t want to get blown across the lake, and you don’t need to get too far from shore before you are over very deep water.

It’s a winter fishery, when water near shore is cool enough for trout. The ladders are mostly to get you out of the water for added warmth. The fishing game is not about finding the fish, covering water. More of a waiting game - the fish cruise constantly. You need to have your rig in the water they come through. It’s not for everyone. Lots of people have trips like @ifsteve reported and then never return.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
The key to Pyramid is the ladder. But choices must be made. Aluminum, fiberglass, carbon, or bamboo? Step, platform, or a telescoping ladder? 6 foot, 8 foot, 10 foot, or 12 footer? Non slip rubber feet upgrades should be considered. Finally, adding some padding to the perch is very important, like yoga mat foam. Several top ladder manufacturers to consider, so test them out at your local hardware store before committing.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just got back from my annual trip to Pyramid and it was very very tough.

We fished Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and all day Saturday. We had bright sun the entire time except for a few hours of hazy overcast on Saturday afternoon. We did have two sessions with decent in our face wind and good wave action into the beach but the fish didn't respond.

Tactics used:
1. Sinking lines and stripping the usual Pyramid stuff ( I used the RIO OBS I/5/7 which I started using last year). Used both switch rods and 9ft SHers.
2. Indicators on both 9ft SHers and Switch rods. I used the RIO Switch Chucker on my Redington Chromer. Really liked that setup.
3. Two guys used spin rods a fair bit with large spoons.

So here are the "results" - 4 guys fished pretty hard and we landed 6 fish total with the biggest being under 5#.

Let me add a little more context to this group too.
Two guys have extensive stillwater experience, in fact, almost all of our trout fishing is on stillwaters.
One guy has a decent amount of stillwater experience but doesn't fish near as often as the first two guys.
One guy doesn't fish a lot and he ended up using the spin rod most of the time.

And FWIW we saw very few fish caught by others!

Just a very tough trip and in looking over our logs we think you can break your Pyramid Trips into equal percentages as follows:
1 in 3 trips will be pretty good with numerous sessions where you are getting fish.
1 in 3 trips will be ok with at least one session where you are getting into fish.
1 in 3 trips will suck like this one.

Certainly you will never catch a fish sitting in your living room and at the P every cast has the potential to result in a double digit fish. But it is also important for guys who haven't been there to hear the truth and not just set their expectations based upon IG and FB posts. I have no problem going on a trip and when its a bust telling people so and this one as a massive bust.
Well, at least you didnt have to worry about running into shark infested surf to avoid being trampled to death by a crazed elephant. ;)

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I used to fly to Reno quite a ways back with my own heavy milk crate and after downing a 2 liter soda would turn that bottle into a float by adding a small rope. It gave me nice mobility and just enough height when the whitecaps were tolerable. Illegal to use now because too many folks either lost them to the sandy bottom because of no float or they just said to hell with it while thawing out in their warm vehicles and headed for the blackjack tables and buffets back in Reno.

It was more about the scenery and the history of the place than the fishing for me. Now that the Pilot strain are back in I am interested in going back for a good freezing.

I'd personally would never get in or on a floating device in that lake.

rateeee.jpg

Who remembers Del Canty in magazines? (these are browns from flaming gorge I believe). I used to envision fishing Pyramid like this until I saw its vastness and its wind.
Del.jpg

gettyimages-161909333-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
The “vastness” should be quite a bit larger with all the past few years of snow pack, rain, and runoff.
Isn’t Pyramid only a microcosm of a much larger ancient lake basin??

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
The “vastness” should be quite a bit larger with all the past few years of snow pack, rain, and runoff.
Isn’t Pyramid only a microcosm of a much larger ancient lake basin??
Yes, it is the remnant of the ancient Lake Lahontan. Those giant cutthroat had a lot more room to roam and evolve.

Pretty cool stuff

Wpdms_shdrlfi020l_lake_lahontan_b.jpg

reading.. 12,500 years ago it reached its max size
1920px-Lake_bonneville_map.svg.png

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
As I understand it there is only one beach where ladders are in use. After my research I decided the only way I would get my pontoon on there is with an electric motor, oars, and fins. I would also pick my day and time carefully and stay away from the ladder beach.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
About 30 years back you could drive to the famous Pyramid Rock and also hit the northern natural hot springs area of Needle Rocks area. The tribe closed large bunch of it so was glad to see it when I did. If I was tubing or in a pontoon boat I'd bring a few extra meals as you might get pushed 10 miles down the lake and get there just in time for the wind to push you back.

There were also more areas you could find coves and walk and cast. Not sure access allows anymore. Not likely.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 5.42.54 PM.png

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As I understand it there is only one beach where ladders are in use. After my research I decided the only way I would get my pontoon on there is with an electric motor, oars, and fins. I would also pick my day and time carefully and stay away from the ladder beach.
Not sure where in the heck that you heard this but its not even remotely accurate. I have personally fished lots of different beaches there from a ladder.

And for those interested in going there you really need to read Rob Anderson's blog on what is happening at that Lake. The fishery is vastly changed now. The when to go and how to fish it can be much different now due to the behavior of the Pilot Peak strain of fish. Much different critter than the Summit strain.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ditto what is being said about the ladders - most of the beaches that I fished are ladder beaches. Personally, ladder fishing at Pyramid isn't my thing but I have buddies that are obsessed with the fishery. They are hard core lake guys with pontoon boats and float tubes but never ever use them there. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that it's not the best way to access the fishery.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Not sure where in the heck that you heard this but its not even remotely accurate. I have personally fished lots of different beaches there from a ladder.

And for those interested in going there you really need to read Rob Anderson's blog on what is happening at that Lake. The fishery is vastly changed now. The when to go and how to fish it can be much different now due to the behavior of the Pilot Peak strain of fish. Much different critter than the Summit strain.
Got a link for that? Thanks for the correction!