Tri-tip Steaks

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'd do more like 135 for 2-6 hours, then sear it in a smoking hot cast iron and butter.

131 is where collagen renders to gelatin, but warmer is more time efficient
That's why I go 135. But chilling it (sometimes even overnight for the next day) definitely allows for easy searing with minimal actual cooking of the inside. That combined with my overall time of 5+ hrs also allows for complete rendering of any connective tissue and the fa t that's there tastes like a flavor burst of seasoned butter.

Zak

Legend
Oven, gas grill and cast iron skillet.

For steak, my usual process is a 12-24h dry brine, followed by sear and shift. It doesn’t work well, for these cuts.

I’m thinking that I will need to skip the dry brine entirely and go for a reverse sear. That is more screwing around than I would like, though. I’m considering buying a torch, so I can get a sear with minimal cooking of the inside.

Just to be clear, with everyone, the meat is not the whole tri-tip; imagine slicing a tri-tip in half, so you have two ~1-2in tri-tip pieces, then cut along the grain to create steaks. The are mostly triangular, like the photo below. The muscle fibers are huge, like a flank steak. However, unlike a flank steak, they are very tightly bound.

View attachment 73292
That changes things! I thought you had the Costco 2-pack of tri tip roasts (which a good deal and delicious). Disregard what I said, I'm not sure how to cook your steaks.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'd do more like 135 for 2-6 hours, then sear it in a smoking hot cast iron and butter.

131 is where collagen renders to gelatin, but warmer is more time efficient
copy...I need to drag out my sous vide immersion unit and chamber vacuum sealer that I haven't used in years...

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I see all the uses for coffee grounds on the recipe sites and shrudder.
Probably some are ok, even good I suppose.
I had one dish rubbed that way out to dinner once, it was fair, but in my plebeian opinion it would have been better without, but then again I am just a Mossback hillbilly who has never even been to Soap Lake...
:)

I think they're just trying to save on the garbage bill by not having to pay to throw out the coffee grounds.
They do go well on a compost pile however, and a guy I know used to spread the unbrewed grounds on his lawn for fertilizer. He worked at Starbucks and got the roasted beans that didn't pass muster for free.
His lawn was nice...

Zak

Legend
Should I roast a nice light Ethiopian for a rub, or a bold, dark Sumatra? ;)

This is definitely new to me as well, though I'm typically behind on such things.
Coffee crusted beef is one of life's great pleasures. Here's the rub recipe from the NYT recipie I linked above (I double it for two tri tip roasts, and I use Chimayo chile powder instead of cayenne pepper, add cumin, and usually leave out the cinnamon):

INGREDIENTS​

Yield:About ⅓ cup
  • 2tablespoons finely ground coffee
  • 1½tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1½tablespoons granulated garlic
  • 1heaping teaspoon black pepper
  • 1tablespoon brown sugar
  • ¼teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼teaspoon ground cloves
  • ¼teaspoon cinnamon

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It seems there are easier cuts to deal with…but what do I know.
Agree. Used to buy them all the time but after a while switched to other cuts. We like flatirons but they are better with a marinade. Lately have been using New York or ribeye cuts. The flatiron marinade we use is

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup Worcestershire
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup (or less) soy sauce
Seasoning (we like Trader Joe’s Everyday seasoning)

Marinade for at least 3 hours. Cook on a hot grill and rest. Reduce the marinade on the stove and add baking powder to thicken. Use as a topping for the steak.

Recipe also works well for mallard duck breasts.

Reactions: Zak

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Are any of you using Meater?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter

I use a MeatStick. When I researched it, it was the better option; higher maximum temperature, more size options and longer signal range. They are very cool. I wouldn’t want to not have one, now.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
The tri-tip is a roast not a steak. Goggle Santa Maria style BBQ.
Santa Maria CA is where the tri-tip originated. Their are recipes for
tri-tip included.

I’m going to try a very slow reverse sear; basically a roast.

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I just bought 2. based on my sample size of one, it works great! :LOL:

pretty nice in that within one unit you get a real ambient temp plus internal.

For my use (generally slow and low), it'll work great.

Russell

Steelhead
Don’t do steaks. Tri tip is a roast. We do plenty down here in ca. Susie q seasoning smoked with a little red oak. They have good marbling that doesn’t need to be slow cooked or rendered. Cook like a prime rib roast. Medium rare. To 125 and rest for 20 minutes. Use cast iron and reverse sear in the oven works great too.