Tri-tip Steaks

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Costco had prime tri-tip “steaks”, for $9/lb. I figured that I can tolerate some experimentation, at that price. However, I have no idea what to do with them. Despite some impressive marbling, they are quite tough. Grilling has resulted in disappointing results. Any suggestions?

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Marinade over night. Pull out of the fridge/cooler 3-4 hours before cooking.
Sear like a mofo for 8-10 mins one side. It should be burnt as hell when you flip.
Sear like a mofo another 8-10 mins other side
Wrap in a couple layers of tinfoil and let sit for 20-30 mins.
You can tell rare-medium doneness by how jiggly it is when you wrap it.

You gotta sear the shit out of it to keep the juices in. Then you let it cook itself in its own juices. Said juices will moisten the burnt outside. Key to a good sear is plenty of charcoal and grill down by them hot ass charcoal.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Rub with kosher salt, Black pepper n garlic powder, smoke at 250 until 115-120 degrees. Crank up temp and smoke for 10 minutes or less until 135-140° pull of and rest!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
They always end up pretty good if I go slow and low on the Traeger, but I've started to sous vide mine with outstanding results. My routine is marinade for several hours in your vacuum sealed bag (I like a mustard/soy/garlic base), then I'll sous vide for 6-7 hours at 135, then chill, then sear on the charcoal grill until you have a nice sear on all sides.....stack your charcoal up in one side so it gets nice and hot. I'll also take all juices left in the bag, reduced that down a little bit, strain it and use as an au jus. It's actually way more simple than it sounds but my results have been outstanding. Tri-tip is an incredibly flavorful cut and will be extremely tender if you cook it right.

Zak

Legend
Dry rub with coffee grounds, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, a (very) little clove powder, maybe Chile powder. Then into the fridge in ziplock bags over night or freeze for later.

Day of cooking, bring steaks to room temperature and get one side of your grill ripping hot. Sear steaks 3-5 minutes on each side, then move to cool side of grill and turn down heat. Use a meat thermometer to check interior temp and remove from grill when center is at 130-135F. Rest for 20 minutes, and slice across the grain on a bias. There are two grains in each tritip, running in different directions.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Dry rub with coffee grounds, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, a (very) little clove powder, maybe Chile powder. Then into the fridge in ziplock bags over night or freeze for later.

Day of cooking, bring steaks to room temperature and get one side of your grill ripping hot. Sear steaks 3-5 minutes on each side, then move to cool side of grill and turn down heat. Use a meat thermometer to check interior temp and remove from grill when center is at 130-135F. Rest for 20 minutes, and slice across the grain on a bias. There are two grains in each tritip, running in different directions.
that's the third way I'd do it! All three yield excellent results.

Skimr

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I’m another one who cooks it like Zak. 130 degree internal, cover and rest, thin cut across grain. Perfect every time. Never any leftovers. The rub is instant espresso, chocolate powder, cayenne pepper and a couple of other spices.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_2604.jpeg
Generously season with coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper…sear both sides on grill, then move coals to one side or place ceramic insert on one side for indirect heat, cover and cook to internal temp of 125…pull off grill, tent with foil and rest 20 minutes. Slice across the grain…

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Tri tip has a decent amount of internal connective tissue which needs to hit 131° to begin rendering. The more time above that number, the more tender it we be. However over 145 you're venturing into well done territory, and it does not have enough connective tissue to overcome overcooking.

If not sous vide, my procedure looks like this:

Pull meat out for 2 hours before cooking. Season when you pull it out, let the meat warm up. This is critical to even cooking and keeping it in the 131-140 window of goodness.

Whether gas or charcoal start with indirect heat in the 200° temp range. Increase indirect heat every few minutes until the internal temp of the tritip is 115. Wouldnt go above 300 ambient temp.

When at 115 put the heat on it. Good and hard until the color is how you like it. Internal temp should be in the 130 range.

Wrap in butcher paper and tinfoil and a towel. Wait an hour or 2, ideally. Cut across the grain, and it's a swirling grain.

There you go, no big deal. 5 hours max

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tri tip has a decent amount of internal connective tissue which needs to hit 131° to begin rendering. The more time above that number, the more tender it we be. However over 145 you're venturing into well done territory, and it does not have enough connective tissue to overcome overcooking.

If not sous vide, my procedure looks like this:

Pull meat out for 2 hours before cooking. Season when you pull it out, let the meat warm up. This is critical to even cooking and keeping it in the 131-140 window of goodness.

Whether gas or charcoal start with indirect heat in the 200° temp range. Increase indirect heat every few minutes until the internal temp of the tritip is 115. Wouldnt go above 300 ambient temp.

When at 115 put the heat on it. Good and hard until the color is how you like it. Internal temp should be in the 130 range.

Wrap in butcher paper and tinfoil and a towel. Wait an hour or 2, ideally. Cut across the grain, and it's a swirling grain.

There you go, no big deal. 5 hours max
If you are doing it sous vide, you would have the water at 131?…and how long?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
What do you have as options to cook them with? E.g. propane grill, charcoal grill, cast iron, smoker?

Oven, gas grill and cast iron skillet.

For steak, my usual process is a 12-24h dry brine, followed by sear and shift. It doesn’t work well, for these cuts.

I’m thinking that I will need to skip the dry brine entirely and go for a reverse sear. That is more screwing around than I would like, though. I’m considering buying a torch, so I can get a sear with minimal cooking of the inside.

Just to be clear, with everyone, the meat is not the whole tri-tip; imagine slicing a tri-tip in half, so you have two ~1-2in tri-tip pieces, then cut along the grain to create steaks. The are mostly triangular, like the photo below. The muscle fibers are huge, like a flank steak. However, unlike a flank steak, they are very tightly bound.

1689618999214.jpeg

Last edited: