NFR Tree ID

Non-fishing related

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I didn't find any specific tree ID threads so I'll go first. Was walking the lower acreage this morning and noticed a lot of these scrubby trees all over. I'm planning on cutting them down if they are nothing special to clean up the area.
20221112_102306.jpg
20221112_102310.jpg
20221112_102529.jpg
???

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Hawthorn?
Thanks, that gives me a place to start looking online. Definitely looks like it, leaf shape and berry. Wiki says they are native to North America, not sure about this particular variety. Now are they useful for anything?

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
They have very hard wood, & fruits are eaten by birds. The bark of black hawthorn was used to treat venereal disease, thin blood, reduce swelling and strengthen heart.
There is a European cultivar that has naturalized. Yours look more like that variety. Deeply lobed leaves (oak like), showy white blooms and clumps of scarlet fruits that stay on trees over winter.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
They have very hard wood, & fruits are eaten by birds. The bark of black hawthorn was used to treat venereal disease, thin blood, reduce swelling and strengthen heart.
There is a European cultivar that has naturalized. Yours look more like that variety. Deeply lobed leaves (oak like), showy white blooms and clumps of scarlet fruits that stay on trees over winter.
Yea I'm thinking it's the English variety. Looks like the native one has dark berries and more rounded leaves. Found an interesting tidbit that the English variety planted with ash and oak makes the sacred trio and attracts fairies 🧚‍♀️ accidentally told the kids so now we're keeping them, or at least 1.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
We have a lot of those same European transplants that have naturalized and spread on and near our place. Most of the spring blossoms are white, but some of them have pink blossoms.

The wildlife really likes them. Now that the berries have been frozen a time or two and softened, the Robins are in there thick gorging on them. The rabbits like to eat the leaves and twigs up as high as they are able while standing on their back legs. It’s kind of funny watching them.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I agree with the Common (English) Hawthorn ID. Those things can be an invasive PITA. You can cut them down, and they’ll stump sprout. The root wads are a real bear to dig out too—deep and extensive. Yes, the birds and wildlife use and spread the berries, which is part of why they are successful invaders. (See Greg’s comments above)

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Evidently it's one of the best fire woods out there, burns hot and long with little smoke. I think I'll whack and stack it since it's invasive, maybe plant a native one for the Faerie trio. Amazingly there's an internet forum called the 'firewood hoarders club.' I'm taking a deep dive right now.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I have two hawthorn trees in my yard. Not sure the varieties. I haven’t had any invasive type issues from the ones I have. I’ve seen some young, fruit born saplings but they are easy to weed and I’ve found their root structure to be relatively shallow. Just like the other comments point out, hawthorns are a wildlife magnet and pump out huge amounts of edible fruit. Lots of birds show up to eat the berries but scrub jays and squirrels seem to be particularly fond of them, at least in my yard.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Since this is about trees, I'll add a free that us growing all over Montana. The Russian Olive. They are a bitch to mow around as they have long thorn's. There was a small grove of them where we were living in Silver Star. Lived there almost a year. The fruit is small and I never saw any birds of animals there. I also had two apple trees which the deer just loved to eat.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Since this is about trees, I'll add a free that us growing all over Montana. The Russian Olive. They are a bitch to mow around as they have long thorn's. There was a small grove of them where we were living in Silver Star. Lived there almost a year. The fruit is small and I never saw any birds of animals there. I also had two apple trees which the deer just loved to eat.
Is Russian Olive also called Tamarisk?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Game plan is to rip root wads out with a chain and tractor. Don't need anymore invasives. I have 400 + yards of fence line overcome with Himalayan blackberry up to 8feet tall and downed Alders to clean up also o_O