Trailer flooring

Sagebrush

Smolt
I have a custom trailer that we use to haul my larger pontoon boat and camping gear, and when the boat stands are removed I can use as a standard utility trailer. The flooring is 7" wide slats with gaps which allow road spray during the wet season. I'm thinking of screwing in a couple of sheets of plywood for a solid floor. Is this a sound idea? If yes what thickness? Should I treat it? I can also lay a tarp on the floor but it's one more thing to mess with on trips. Also, this trailer is garaged, so not exposed to the elements when not in use

Attachments

• 20210813_143646.jpg
    20210813_143646.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
You could always cover what you got with some cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting. Probably wouldn’t last forever but have had that on some of my trailers in the past and it worked fine.

Sagebrush

Smolt
You could always cover what you got with some cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting. Probably wouldn’t last forever but have had that on some of my trailers in the past and it worked fine.
Never thought of carpet, doesn't that get really dirty and hard to dry out?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Home Depot has these pieces of carpet in gray or beige that I think are 6 x 8.
I used this as flooring in a tent and discovered it is waterproof. I now line the floor of my truck bed with it.

If you just want some wood you can use and abuse get some treated 1/2" plywood.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Home Depot has these pieces of carpet in gray or beige that I think are 6 x 8.
I used this as flooring in a tent and discovered it is waterproof. I now line the floor of my truck bed with it.

If you just want some wood you can use and abuse get some treated 1/2" plywood.
I use a couple of these outside of my RV, under the awning. I like to cook outside when weather is not too bad and set up a plastic top folding table with a propane grill and electric frying pan. Keeps dirt and leaves from being tracked into trailer. The carpet dries quickly and vacuums up nicely. Appears to hold up very well so far after years. Good product.

Sagebrush

Smolt
I'll take a look at the carpeting. I could likely use some light screws with washers to keep it from sliding around.
Really interesting, I was not expecting these solutions instead of plywood. if I decide on plywood what do you recommend to treat it?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I'll take a look at the carpeting. I could likely use some light screws with washers to keep it from sliding around.
Really interesting, I was not expecting these solutions instead of plywood. if I decide on plywood what do you recommend to treat it?
Just buy it treated from the lumber yard. Use those finish washers and screws for the carpet.
So...you could wrap the plywood in the carpet and fasten it to the underside and just let the ply and carpet lay in there. Makes for easy removal to let the boards underneath dry out if needed.

Sagebrush

Smolt
Just buy it treated from the lumber yard. Use those finish washers and screws for the carpet.
So...you could wrap the plywood in the carpet and fasten it to the underside and just let the ply and carpet lay in there. Makes for easy removal to let the boards underneath dry out if needed.
That is a great idea!

CRO

Steelhead
a thin sheet of aluminum on plate(.064) thick or more screwed down on top of those planks is another choice. It can be purchased in 4' X 8' ft sheets. Cost per sheet? You dont need certified aircraft grade material. It doesnt take any special care and will last a life time. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Sagebrush

Smolt
Where do you get this aluminum?
Shiplap Apitong trailer decking looks like it would be a good option if I was completely re-decking the trailer.