Tippet Lies

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
It's not really surprising that sizes and strengths vary. Company's are there to make a profit. A little manipulation to find their market share is standard operation. Marketing and hype rule the day. Just look at the fly lines. Is it really a 6# or maybe a7#.? Well, spend another $100 to find out which one you like. Buyer beware..
No, but when people rely on a product to do what it says on the tin, it should do what it says on the tin. Marketing claims are one thing, saying something breaks at 11.9lbs when it breaks at 9.8 is crap.

Also, if I were pursuing an IGFA tippet class record, and my tippet stated it was 12lb, but it turns out to break at 16lb, then I'm not gonna qualify for the record because IGFA is gonna test my tippet and check my fish against the 15lb class.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Jake I guess I wasn't clear.

Lets just take RIO 4x as an example. How many different spools of that are you testing?

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No, but when people rely on a product to do what it says on the tin, it should do what it says on the tin. Marketing claims are one thing, saying something breaks at 11.9lbs when it breaks at 9.8 is crap.

Also, if I were pursuing an IGFA tippet class record, and my tippet stated it was 12lb, but it turns out to break at 16lb, then I'm not gonna qualify for the record because IGFA is gonna test my tippet and check my fish against the 15lb class.
Never do in search of a class tippet record unless you use gauranteed rated material OR send the actual material you plan to use to IGFA for testing before you go. Then you'll know for sure.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Never do in search of a class tippet record unless you use gauranteed rated material OR send the actual material you plan to use to IGFA for testing before you go. Then you'll know for sure.
Agreed. I’ve never gone in search of a record at all, but was using that as an example of why way underselling tippet rating might be undesirable.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
Following. I just had half a dozen flies break off mid-tippet yesterday and would love to read the results when available. Thank you for doing this!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Perhaps, but what if a person is fishing what they think is 5lb, catches a whopper of a fish, sends it in, and learns that they were fishing with 7lb? It'd probably be a frustrating experience that can be fairly easily avoided.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jake I guess I wasn't clear.

Lets just take RIO 4x as an example. How many different spools of that are you testing?
So far, four different "flavors" of RIO 4x.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Following. I just had half a dozen flies break off mid-tippet yesterday and would love to read the results when available. Thank you for doing this!
You're welcome. I've been there, which was part of the genesis for the whole undertaking.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For years I have miked every spool of tippet I buy and written the actual diameter on the spool. My number seldom matches what is printed on the spool. And, yes Virginia, .0005 does make a difference. Calipers usually only read in .001 increments whereas micrometers read in .0001 increments, lots of room for error there.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A lot of the stuff I fish, I don’t think diameter really matters. That is to both me and the fish.
Some fish just aren’t really leader shy, so if you want to use 20 lb test for SRC, go for it. You’ll still catch fish.
SF