Tippet Lies

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
In the process of doing an exhaustive review of tippets, I found that many companies are messing with us and I figured I’d take a break and mention that. No agenda or horse in the race , just surprised by how far off so many of the spools were from the claims.

If your tippet’s marketing says it’s “strong”, it’s more likely than not that it’s got a significantly larger diameter than you think—sometimes a whole tippet class or more higher—or it may be complete and total bullshit. One company, for example, has a “STRONG” tippet that consistently underperforms by 30% across all weight classes (12.9lb tippet breaks at 9.8lb). Another's 12lb tippet breaks at well over 15lbs across all "types".

If your tippet’s marketing says it’s “supple” or alludes to how “sensitive” it is, chances are it’s actually thinner than most tippets in that class—sometimes a whole tippet class lower—or made with weaker-for-same-diameter material. One company’s 12lb tippet, marketed for its suppleness, breaks at 9.8 lbs.

In fact, of the brands tested so far, only one company tested so far has stayed within 10% of claimed diameters and strengths for all of its spools.

EDIT: Removed stated number of brands tested as the final tally may be higher or lower.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like Maxima and SA as they always mic out and just work. Edit: Curious to see your results.

Attachments

• 20230929_133102.jpg
    20230929_133102.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 5

RCF

Life of the Party
Here comes an award winning, unbiased research paper/test. Looking forward to it...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Here comes an award winning, unbiased research paper/test. Looking forward to it...
Glad to hear you're looking forward to reading it with an open mind.

Calipers and force gauges don't really know whose line is being tested, but I'll try to keep them unbiased and honest for you.

My whole point here was to say “dang, these companies are misrepresenting a lot of their products in important-to-fishing ways”.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Lemme guess, Rio was ovehyped and under delivered. At least their "strong" fluoro does for me.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
This sounds like the infamous freezer test on tippet strength...

*following*

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Jake -
Since I just ordered a spool that has STRONG rather prominently printed on the spool, I'm very (very) curious as to where this brand stands. When I'm fishing small chironomids in stillwaters that have BIG fish I want the tippet that is too thick for small eyes and I want tippet that's strong, knots well and has abraision resistance..... (is there such a thing?). Looking forward to your printed report./Pat

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Please include data on perfection loop break strength for each tippet.
That'd be many knots! Maybe when the field has been narrowed a bit I'll test with the one in each material in each class that's closest to its stated diameter and strength.

I recommend caution when making such statements. Say something like that in the wrong crowd and you may find yourself reviewing dozens and dozens spools of tippet.

Divad

Whitefish
The Rio Strong Fluoro I used a couple summers ago had me breaking off way too much, 0x and 1x stuff was poo. Posted about it here and the consensus was Maxima for mono, and for fluoro many different opinions were present. G_Smolt’s recommendation of SunLine Sniper has been my trusted goto ever since. It’s stupidly strong, not the thinnest but I trust the hell out of it and now use the 10lb and 14lb religiously.

If you need those 0x and 1x spools to test happy to send them. I tend to only use ‘fly tippet’ now for trout situations and not big game.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I use Rio powerflex for trout. Not because I think it's good or better than others but because I know how to use it.
What I mean by that is I know how their tippet diameters match various sized hooks.
The actual size or strength does not matter to me.
One caveat. I rarely care if I land trout if they get off before I get them in. That's great
I rarely break off trout with powerflex. I classify it as good enough.
Their tapered leaders are just barely good enough..

The Rio 4X I was using this summer was dogshit. I usually have no issues with the Rio tippet altho the 5X has been prone to flat breaking on bigger fish in the past. I just figured it was me setting the hook too hard. Really curious to see the results.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
It's not really surprising that sizes and strengths vary. Company's are there to make a profit. A little manipulation to find their market share is standard operation. Marketing and hype rule the day. Just look at the fly lines. Is it really a 6# or maybe a7#.? Well, spend another $100 to find out which one you like. Buyer beware..

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
How many different spools are you testing for each company and tippet size?
Right now it’s 2, 4, and 6x. One or two lines of nylon and fluoro for most brands, more for some brands. Also testing 12 and 15lb mono.

Have not obtained a full lineup for each brand, and despite requests for new stuff, some of the spools seem to be fairly old. Very incomplete lineups and spools that are too old might not be tested to try and keep things more fair and representative.

Rio, Trout Hunter, SA, Seaguar, Frog Hair, Umpqua, Maxima, and P-line are among the brands being tested.

I think what I’ll do, when the time comes, is describe the methodology and post the data. Right now, though, it’s going to be a while. I just saw a surprising trend and thought to share it.