Tigers (the musky variety) patterns.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Speaking of "what's on the inside"....

Tied in a big game shank (probably close to 3"), I attached 2 split rings off the back. Currently have a 4/0 Owner Herring hook attached. On the shank, I have foam on the top and about 1/3 of the way down, there are small dumbbell eyes underneath to both counter balance and provide instability. Lots of bucktail, some nayat, saddle hackles, a touch of flash and a bit of titan dub for the head.....oh, and a couple shades of brown copic marker.

1000002147.jpg

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am very interested in large fly construction. Some of the floats, keeling techniques, other additives to get the desired action. Can’t wait swim some things

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of "what's on the inside"....

Tied in a big game shank (probably close to 3"), I attached 2 split rings off the back. Currently have a 4/0 Owner Herring hook attached. On the shank, I have foam on the top and about 1/3 of the way down, there are small dumbbell eyes underneath to both counter balance and provide instability. Lots of bucktail, some nayat, saddle hackles, a touch of flash and a bit of titan dub for the head.....oh, and a couple shades of brown copic marker.

View attachment 49991
I like the use of the marker
I add brown but it is material. Adds a lot of bulk
Coloring the white is a great change up

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I like the use of the marker
I add brown but it is material. Adds a lot of bulk
Coloring the white is a great change up
The copic markers hold their color pretty well...way better than sharpies. Then again, it also depends on materials. The titan dubbing holds color really well.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
Thought I’d test out my haul from the expo. Probably won’t be able to get them wet until next month

77BF7C12-00D9-41BE-A8B6-B89405AB176E.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Latest in my evolution of what I mostly fish...a 40mm shank off the back and schlappen for the tail. Otherwise mostly the same...😆

This one got eaten yesterday.
1000009982.jpg
1000009983.jpg

Went a little more seasonal for today's vise time...
1000010051.jpg
1000010050.jpg

These both come in just a touch over 8", so on the small side for Midwest musky guys, but right in the sweet spot for our tigers out here.

I heard a great line from a Midwest musky guide regarding size, "if you just finished eating Thanksgiving dinner and someone offered you another drumstick or a few potato chips, you're gonna take the potato chips nearly every time, right?"

Point being, our tigers have an overabundance of food at their disposal (when was the last time you saw a skinny one?), so I've gradually gone back down to offering them potato chips.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Point being, our tigers have an overabundance of food at their disposal (when was the last time you saw a skinny one?), so I've gradually gone back down to offering them potato chips.
This was my experience during my week of bull trout fishing this summer (I’m like 2 months late on the report). Where I normally fish 5-7” flies on a hard strip, the 3-4” game changers out performed like 15-1.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Latest in my evolution of what I mostly fish...a 40mm shank off the back and schlappen for the tail. Otherwise mostly the same...😆

This one got eaten yesterday.
View attachment 83300
View attachment 83301

Went a little more seasonal for today's vise time...
View attachment 83302
View attachment 83303

These both come in just a touch over 8", so on the small side for Midwest musky guys, but right in the sweet spot for our tigers out here.

I heard a great line from a Midwest musky guide regarding size, "if you just finished eating Thanksgiving dinner and someone offered you another drumstick or a few potato chips, you're gonna take the potato chips nearly every time, right?"

Some of my largest marlin were caught on small aku lures…elephants do eat peanuts.