Three flavors

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Here is what did the damage, actual fly. I tend to like them sparse. The buggy tail is a must. Indicator, 17' down, 3-5" strips to let it pulsate. Fish meal.
@Ronbow-san,
I can't tell from your photograph exactly what you have for eyes on your balanced damselfly nymph. If you don't mind, please share.
Thanks
Pat

Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
They look like the now famous glass bead on mono eyes.🤩🤩
I've messed around with glass beads glued/fused/stuck/broken on monofilament a few times. I struggle to get any consistency but it does seem like maybe some small green glass beads on Ronbow's fly might be neat (for the fisherman, anyway).

I may have missed the opportunity to hang one of these under an indicator at the lake you've caught big browns in as lakes are starting to ice up. Lenore's south end is frozen this morning and Alkali was about half frozen....

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Pat, these are black beads, on a piece of mono, melted in with a candle flame. Hook holder on the mono between beads melts in to just the right proportion. Some trial and error to get the right amount of mono. And have a fire extinguisher handy...o_O... I do them in black, green and clear.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Pat, these are black beads, on a piece of mono, melted in with a candle flame. Hook holder on the mono between beads melts in to just the right proportion. Some trial and error to get the right amount of mono. And have a fire extinguisher handy...o_O... I do them in black, green and clear.
Thanks, Ron!
(@troutpocket - thread drift) Years ago DK and I were fishing the Thompson, I can't remember the name of the run, when Joe Kambeitz came out of the woods to the rivers edge. Joe was known as "One Armed Joe" (literally). He watched us fish the run and stepped in behind and began working the run. Guess what? He hooke and landed a steelhead fishing behind us. Humbling to say the least! ;-) Joe handed me one of his flies - same pattern he'd been using to coax a strike: The Squamish Poacher. Joe's pattern had green glass beads tied into this "shrimp" pattern. Again, years ago, I tied copies of Joe's fly and built a supply of "glass bead eyes", I just found my "stash" of these eyes so I tied up a poor copy of your balanced damselfly nymph.

IMG_1810.jpgDSCF2707.JPG
If the lakes don't ice over before the end of November, I'd like to suspend this below an indicator..........crude!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Also have a tungsten bead just behind the eyes. Build up just a bit of a thorax, with semi seal, and then bodkin tease out longer fibers to make legs.
I wish I'd thought of a tungsten bead behind the eyes as the pattern I tied will sink very slowly (split shot needed to get to 17'! ;-))