This Ain't Good...As A Matter Of Fact, Damn Sad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'd be lying if I said I don't worry about something like that. But are we really going to blame this strictly on them? Think these young kids committing mass shootings aren't influenced by their older parents? Every single story I can recall reading about a mass shooter inckudes details of their older parents who neglected, abused, or otherwise contributed to these young people commiting these acts. Who are the people running this country, creating laws and systems that help lead these people to feeling so frustrated and hopeless that they take things to the extreme? This is not a problem created by the youth of our society. These are problems that have been building for many generations.

I also worry far less about things that may have been a serious problem with past generations.

I dont worry that if my son was to come out as gay that he would be ridiculed, harassed, and generally hated to the point that maybe he couldn't take it and decided to take his own life.

I dont worry that if my son falls in love with a woman of color and had interracial children that their lives will be made significantly tougher due to ignorance and hatred.

I dont worry about my son feeling so pressured to not admit weakness that he doesn't feel comfortable reaching out for help when the stress of the world or mental health becomes a major issue.

I dont worry that my son and the younger folks he associates with are going to continue to trash this planet and the environment without a second thought.

I never had to worry that my son, who is a big guy like myself, was going to be endlessly picked on in school for his size to the point that he hated waking up in the morning to go to school like I once was.

I could go on and on. Things change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. It's easy to look back at a period of time and think how much better we had it then, but let's be realistic here, our younger generations have managed to conquer many issues that were once prevalent in our society and I have full confidence they will continue to do so. They face issues today that weren't even thought of just a few generations ago, and they do so head on. I for one am excited to think about what sort of world these young people could create if the rest of us would just get out of their way.
You think that gay guy or girl in school isn’t getting bullied , what world are you living in ? Or that black girl here in Utah that committed suicide because she was being bullied because of her race . Yes let’s get out of those young people’s way , that’s the answer . They will surely solve the world’s ills .

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Edited. I know better than to get involved with these kinds of conversations here.

My apologies. Too much time on my hands these days.
No need to apologize, differences in the outlook of the future . Plus the fact you are a different generation than I am . I don’t know who’s to blame , but the problems exist , and they sure don’t seem to be getting better .

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Well...things are looking up. The Russians are now bombing food instead of people.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The boomer mentality. Your generation dumped a giant mess onto future generations and just looks the other way. The least you could do is accept a little responsibility.
Well that was the best approach of that generation. Today’s mess will be the remnants of mining for batteries for all of the EVs. Seems like every generation dumps a giant mess for future generations.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well that was the best approach of that generation. Today’s mess will be the remnants of mining for batteries for all of the EVs. Seems like every generation dumps a giant mess for future generations.
That can't go on forever...

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
I'd be lying if I said I don't worry about something like that. But are we really going to blame this strictly on them? Think these young kids committing mass shootings aren't influenced by their older parents? Every single story I can recall reading about a mass shooter inckudes details of their older parents who neglected, abused, or otherwise contributed to these young people commiting these acts. Who are the people running this country, creating laws and systems that help lead these people to feeling so frustrated and hopeless that they take things to the extreme? This is not a problem created by the youth of our society. These are problems that have been building for many generations.

I also worry far less about things that may have been a serious problem with past generations.

I dont worry that if my son was to come out as gay that he would be ridiculed, harassed, and generally hated to the point that maybe he couldn't take it and decided to take his own life.

I dont worry that if my son falls in love with a woman of color and had interracial children that their lives will be made significantly tougher due to ignorance and hatred.

I dont worry about my son feeling so pressured to not admit weakness that he doesn't feel comfortable reaching out for help when the stress of the world or mental health becomes a major issue.

I dont worry that my son and the younger folks he associates with are going to continue to trash this planet and the environment without a second thought.

I never had to worry that my son, who is a big guy like myself, was going to be endlessly picked on in school for his size to the point that he hated waking up in the morning to go to school like I once was.

I could go on and on. Things change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. It's easy to look back at a period of time and think how much better we had it then, but let's be realistic here, our younger generations have managed to conquer many issues that were once prevalent in our society and I have full confidence they will continue to do so. They face issues today that weren't even thought of just a few generations ago, and they do so head on. I for one am excited to think about what sort of world these young people could create if the rest of us would just get out of their way.
Think about it… there weren’t too many school shootings and still plenty of unlocked firearms in peoples houses back when we were youth and when diplomacy failed and fists were thrown, feelings were hurt, but we learned how to handle conflict and became friends. Bullying was checked. Our school system has neutered our children of being able to go back to coded response and defend themselves, the victim becomes the villain.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Think about it… there weren’t too many school shootings and still plenty of unlocked firearms in peoples houses back when we were youth and when diplomacy failed and fists were thrown, feelings were hurt, but we learned how to handle conflict and became friends. Bullying was checked. Our school system has neutered our children of being able to go back to coded response and defend themselves, the victim becomes the villain.

Bullying was checked? Right, unless you happened to be the gay kid, the foreign kid, the fat kid, the kid with glasses, the kid who studied too much, the kid with autism, the kid who preferred to play D&D over football, the kid who joined ROTC, the kid whose parents could only afford Kmart brand shoes, the kid who was too sensitive, the kid who had any sort of physical handicap etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Bullying was checked? Right, unless you happened to be the gay kid, the foreign kid, the fat kid, the kid with glasses, the kid who studied too much, the kid with autism, the kid who preferred to play D&D over football, the kid who joined ROTC, the kid who's parents could only afford Kmart brand shoes, the kid who was too sensitive, the kid who had any sort of physical handicap etc etc etc.
Everyone gets bullied in one way or another and it's the same generation after generation and its not limited to juveniles.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
From the sounds of a few of these posts, some here have never been a part of a marginalized group in their life nor do they have empathy for those that have (or are). That last bit is what is truly sad here...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
My experience... Not much physical or verbal "bullying" in the classic sense happened during my grades k through 12, with rare exceptions. I went through school in a more affluent area, sold middle class suburbs. Bullying happened psychologically in the form of cliques and class level assignments. Sure teachers and admins were all over anything physical or overt, but from a young age your place in the pecking order was set. I was poor, very very very poor, from k-8th grade, things got better money wise in HS. Mail order catalog Arizona jeans company, no name shoes etc. If you didn't have the cool clothes you were out, not associated with. Not on the football/basketball/baseball teams, out. Despite the cliques, everyone did seem to find their own group of friends.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
From the sounds of a few of these posts, some here have never been a part of a marginalized group in their life nor do they have empathy for those that have (or are). That last bit is what is truly sad here...
Some people don't see individuals as being part of groups they see them as individuals.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I generally avoid these inane threads but if that's all you got you're a serious dumb shit.

Insightful rebuttal to what factually happened during those generations. Look forward to hearing more of these intellectual gems.

Just to be clear, the purpose of that post wasn’t to denigrate past generations; the purpose was to point out the rosy retrospection. That should have been obvious, but maybe not to everyone…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.