This Ain't Good...As A Matter Of Fact, Damn Sad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just want to say I have some of the nicest neighbors here in this small community, until they get behind the wheel of their motor vehicle.
Then all bets are off and ya better get out of the way. (honk, honk)
As for the rude ole asshat.
He has no trust cause when he had someone help him in the state of WA they ripped him off.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Tribal up...
That appears to be the default position of the human, regardless of anything else.
:)

Fixing the blame is always easier than fixing the problems.
The world is long on problems, short on solutions. If you want to help, volunteer somewhere using whatever skills you have, because there's somone out there who would love to learn what you can teach them.
Regardless of your knowledge and skill, there's someone that would benefit from your ability to lend them a hand up through sharing your experience.
It's a very rewarding experience for both parties.

Otherwise...
Put a cork in it.
😁🤣😁🤣

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As an admirer of “the greatest generation” I must admit at times I worry about the younger generations but then a story like the OP posted renews my faith. Or, on a note closer to home, my youngest grandson went to Home Depot on an errand for his mother and approaching the entrance he observed a fellow yelling at a man selling strawberries by the flat from back of his truck near the entrance. Racist slurs insinuating the man was a welfare recipient and worse. My grandson walked up to the vendor and bought all his strawberries.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
As an admirer of “the greatest generation” I must admit at times I worry about the younger generations but then a story like the OP posted renews my faith. Or, on a note closer to home, my youngest grandson went to Home Depot on an errand for his mother and approaching the entrance he observed a fellow yelling at a man selling strawberries by the flat from back of his truck near the entrance. Racist slurs insinuating the man was a welfare recipient and worse. My grandson walked up to the vendor and bought all his strawberries.
Awesome...

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
We’ve been forming tribes since we were living in caves and we won’t evolve out of it any time soon.
Forming tribes was natural social evolution: person, immediate family, clan, then tribe, followed by city/state and then nation/state. Tribalism is natural and logical, but just as natural social evolutinary processes were cooperation and alliances. I think the relatively recent reversion to tribalism is facilitated by contemporary instant mass communication, forming insular bubble and echo chambers. News media learned long ago that, "If it bleeds, it leads." Social media followed up right away when comments that divide get way more hits or likes than remarks about the "ties that bind." I think society has the capacity to evolve beyond this hopefully momentary (in the evolutionary sense) social setback and continue evolving mutual aid and support because these are the constructs that have propelled humanity forward over time. We'd better; otherwise we'll simply blow each other off the face of the earth. And the earth doesn't care either way.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
My son turned 21 in April and he is an incredible human being. So are his friends. All through his schooling and now into his adulthood it's been painfully obvious that the young people he's around on average are much more sensitive, compassionate, open minded, tolerant etc than the kids I was around growing up.

I dont fear for my son and the youth of today, rather I fear that the rest of the world is going to be strongly resistant to the changes our youth will push for.

To me it's very obvious that our youth today have so many qualities that were sorely lacking even just when I was in school.

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
My son turned 21 in April and he is an incredible human being. So are his friends. All through his schooling and now into his adulthood it's been painfully obvious that the young people he's around on average are much more sensitive, compassionate, open minded, tolerant etc than the kids I was around growing up.

I dont fear for my son and the youth of today, rather I fear that the rest of the world is going to be strongly resistant to the changes our youth will push for.

To me it's very obvious that our youth today have so many qualities that were sorely lacking even just when I was in school.
I was about to say almost exactly the same thing!

I will add that there's a vast, HUGE difference between young folks I interact with in person, and the online behavior of what I assume in some cases are the same generation.
A lot of my daughters' friends are abandoning social media because it's just so mean, on average. As they say - go touch grass!

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The boomer mentality. Your generation dumped a giant mess onto future generations and just looks the other way. The least you could do is accept a little responsibility.
Did I hit a nerve ? I raised two responsible hard working men , and from what I see so far the same with my older grandchildren. I’m definitely a boomer , worked hard for the same company for 42 years . But ya, I dumped two great contributors to society on you . But you explain to me exactly what I dumped on you . I took full responsibility on what I dumped on you .

I’m 75 years old .Tell me just how old are you , and then I’ll know what I’m dealing with , and what mentality. Before I retired I ran a steel fabrication shop, and pretty sure I dealt with your mentality daily .

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I look at my teenage kids and their friends, and I believe there is hope (except in their music selection:)).
There are always ass hats in every generation…
I don’t disagree, and yes the ass hats have been here forever .

Sure there is hope , but do you worry that your kids hanging out at the mall , or in school , and there is a good chance someone could shot them ? Thats more or less the point of my post ,and a small part of what’s going on in this country . It was not a thought when my kids were in school , but there is now for my grandkids.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Me too , a great admirer of the greatest generation, that would be my parents, and raised this boomer , that supposedly fucked everything up , but they have to have someone to blame .

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I doubt that is possible at scale, as long as politicians, celebrities and the media continue to fuel the fire of disdain for “the others”. It is highly profitable and they’ve become very good at it.

I think a lot of folks are worn out by all the division and have tuned out, which is great. However, I think it is too addictive for the majority to let go. We’ve been forming tribes since we were living in caves and we won’t evolve out of it any time soon.

Aliens visiting us is the best thing that could happen for humanity; they would instantly vaporize all of us. 😂
Fixed it for ya. ;)

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I don’t disagree, and yes the ass hats have been here forever .

Sure there is hope , but do you worry that your kids hanging out at the mall , or in school , and there is a good chance someone could shot them ? Thats more or less the point of my post ,and a small part of what’s going on in this country . It was not a thought when my kids were in school , but there is now for my grandkids.

I'd be lying if I said I don't worry about something like that. But are we really going to blame this strictly on them? Think these young kids committing mass shootings aren't influenced by their older parents? Every single story I can recall reading about a mass shooter inckudes details of their older parents who neglected, abused, or otherwise contributed to these young people commiting these acts. Who are the people running this country, creating laws and systems that help lead these people to feeling so frustrated and hopeless that they take things to the extreme? This is not a problem created by the youth of our society. These are problems that have been building for many generations.

I also worry far less about things that may have been a serious problem with past generations.

I dont worry that if my son was to come out as gay that he would be ridiculed, harassed, and generally hated to the point that maybe he couldn't take it and decided to take his own life.

I dont worry that if my son falls in love with a woman of color and had interracial children that their lives will be made significantly tougher due to ignorance and hatred.

I dont worry about my son feeling so pressured to not admit weakness that he doesn't feel comfortable reaching out for help when the stress of the world or mental health becomes a major issue.

I dont worry that my son and the younger folks he associates with are going to continue to trash this planet and the environment without a second thought.

I never had to worry that my son, who is a big guy like myself, was going to be endlessly picked on in school for his size to the point that he hated waking up in the morning to go to school like I once was.

I could go on and on. Things change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. It's easy to look back at a period of time and think how much better we had it then, but let's be realistic here, our younger generations have managed to conquer many issues that were once prevalent in our society and I have full confidence they will continue to do so. They face issues today that weren't even thought of just a few generations ago, and they do so head on. I for one am excited to think about what sort of world these young people could create if the rest of us would just get out of their way.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did I hit a nerve ? I raised two responsible hard working men , and from what I see so far the same with my older grandchildren. I’m definitely a boomer , worked hard for the same company for 42 years . But ya, I dumped two great contributors to society on you . But you explain to me exactly what I dumped on you . I took full responsibility on what I dumped on you .

I’m 75 years old .Tell me just how old are you , and then I’ll know what I’m dealing with , and what mentality. Before I retired I ran a steel fabrication shop, and pretty sure I dealt with your mentality daily .
What's your favorite Skynyrd album?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
PBEAO (Place Blame Early And Often)

I don't hesitate to agree that the Greatest Generation was indeed great. That is, they achieved great accomplishments. Some of that was the result of selfless service and commitment - thinking WWII and mass public education. And a lot of it was the result of directly exploiting a continent incredibly rich in natural resources, that combined with ingenuity and innovation made the US the most productive nation on the planet. Side effects of massive air and water pollution, along with the destruction of many of those formerly abundant natural resources, were acceptable - until they weren't. Then they, along with minimal aid of Baby Boomers (there just weren't that many of us of voting age yet) passed the Civil Rights Act, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, created the Environmental Protection Agency, and passed the Endangered Species Act. While that was going on they found time to give us the Vietnam War. Talk about driving a divisive wedge into the heart of society.

We Boomers nearly had it all. General affluence, educational opportunity, jobs pretty much everywhere. There we were, the Age of Aquarius, here to save planet Earth from our lesser selves. (At least that's what I naively thought.) Some of us, for better or worse, understood that there's tons more money in degrading the planet than there is in preserving it. So they stepped right into those shoes of the Greatest Generation and wedded themselves to the Harvard Business School textbook valuing quarterly profits over sustainability. The first Earth Day was held 51 years ago, and Greatest Generation and Boomer dedication resulted in a world that is environmentally significantly more degraded than it was then. This is our combined gift to Gen Xers, Ys, Zs, and Millenials. You're welcome for the good, and I for one, am sorry for the not so good. That's not how it was written in my play book. Some will say "Value Diversity." Well greed is part of that diversity, and greed has been winning across the generations.

When my oldest daughter was getting her Masters in Earth Science at Stanford in 1999 (a Gen Xer, I believe) there were 10 students getting their degrees in Earth Systems and nearly 50 getting their Masters in Oil and Gas. (Aside: the parents of the Earth Systems graduates mostly looked like modern day hippies while the parents of the Oil and Gas majors mostly looked like Oil company executives.) Go figure. It ain't just the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boomers.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Two teenagers are rebuffed by a guy having an unconscious moment, then this thread turns it into a conflict between American generations? This ridiculousness rhymes with Mickey Avalon.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Two teenagers are rebuffed by a guy having an unconscious moment, then this thread turns it into a conflict between American generations? This ridiculousness rhymes with Mickey Avalon.

That thought kept going through my head....then I read some posts by a few folks, like @Nick Clayton and others....that's what I'm taking away from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.