The Top Saltwater Fly Rod Game Fish?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I've been thinking about ranking the world's top fly fishing saltwater game fish species for several years. It is a completely subjective exercise, but over time it has opened my eyes to many overlooked fishing opportunities. This time of year it is fun to read about fish species I've never hooked and their habitats I've never visited. For me the top criteria are (1) the species eats a well cast fly versus trolling (2) fight dynamic - jumps & runs (3) strength of fight & endurance (4) visual and nature of the eat (5) challenge of enticing the species to eat a fly (6) size of the fish species (7) habitats where the fish lives. From the list of fish species below (taken in part from a salt gear magazine article), how would you rank your top 20 favorites? Please add other species if not listed.

Blue Marlin
Tarpon
Mako Shark
Black Marlin
Striped Marlin
Dorado (mahi mahi)
Swordfish
Sailfish (Pacific or Atlantic)
White Marlin
Bluefin Tuna
Snook (Atlantic or Pacific)
Yellowfin Tuna
Permit (Atlantic or Indo-Pacific)
Roosterfish
Chinook Salmon
Coho Salmon
King Threadfin (or giant African)
Spearfish
Giant Trevally
Barramundi
Wahoo
Talang Queenfish
Black Papuan Snapper
Thresher Shark
Bonefish
Blacktip Shark
Cobia
Yellowtail (California or Southern)
Dogtooth Tuna
Opah
White Sturgeon
Red Drum
King Mackerel
Blackfin Tuna
Tripletail
Striped Bass
Leerfish
Great Barracuda
Narrowbarred Mackerel
Cubera Snapper
Jack Crevalle
Kahawai
White Seabass
Red Steenbras
Bluefin Trevally
Bluefish
Albacore Tuna
Napoleon Wrasse
Triggerfish (Titan or Yellowmargin)
Bumphead Parrotfish
Bohar Snapper
Blue Bastards
Golden Trevally
Kob (Dusky or Silver)
Spotted Grunter

It's a difficult exercise with no right or wrong answers.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don't see surf perch on there! :LOL: :LOL:

I haven't caught enough saltwater species to make a decent list, but Mako's are right at the top of the list for me (have never fished for them, just seems like it's kinda up my alley).

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Holy smokes Dimebrite :) won't take long for me since I would have only like 6 in my list haha

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I haven't seen with my own eyes or hooked most of the fish species in the list above. I've only read about many of them or watched angling videos. A few of these fish are really intriguing for future trips. Others, like swordfish and opah are unlikely fly rod catches. My ever changing rankings based on my experiences, impressions, and hopes looks something like this:

Tarpon
Permit
Roosterfish
Milkfish
Barramundi
Dorado
Dogtooth tuna
Black Papuan Snapper
Bonefish
Giant trevally
Cobia
Golden trevally
Mako shark
Bluefin tuna
Blue Marlin
Striped Marlin
Sailfish
Yellowfin tuna
Yellowtail
Blue bastards

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I can only rank the ones I have encountered, maybe something like this:

Adult tarpon
Bonefish
Albacore
Baby tarpon
Coho
Redfish
Chum
Cutties
Rezzies

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I think I know which one of these should be at the top of the list.
Hint: it starts with 'Ma', and ends with 'ko'.
View attachment 46901
I'm sure a few folks on here will tell me I'm wrong, and I honestly haven't done this fishery yet... but I know a handful of people who have gone after makos and all say it's rarely as exciting as the videos and pictures make you think. You basically sit around with a chum slick waiting for one you're interested in targeting to swim up. Once they eat, you let them run and eventually drive the hook home. It's mostly just a slog to get them in and not the 50mph flips you see on youtube. At least not as commonly as you'd think.

When I asked two of my good buddies if they'd do it again or would recommend me going, both emphatically said "definitely not."

As far as my favorite saltwater fish on a fly rod, I really, really like dorado. They just have it all, and the fight never lasts so long it becomes a chore. They're a great size, have spectacular aerials, and don't sound/dive down deep.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm sure a few folks on here will tell me I'm wrong, and I honestly haven't done this fishery yet... but I know a handful of people who have gone after makos and all say it's rarely as exciting as the videos and pictures make you think. You basically sit around with a chum slick waiting for one you're interested in targeting to swim up. Once they eat, you let them run and eventually drive the hook home. It's mostly just a slog to get them in and not the 50mph flips you see on youtube. At least not as commonly as you'd think.

When I asked two of my good buddies if they'd do it again or would recommend me going, both emphatically said "definitely not."

As far as my favorite saltwater fish on a fly rod, I really, really like dorado. They just have it all, and the fight never lasts so long it becomes a chore. They're a great size, have spectacular aerials, and don't sound/dive down deep.
I've heard that before too (that aerials aren't a for sure thing). I'd still want to give it a whirl for the chance at epic aerials.

Agreed on mahi-mahi. So much fun. Beautiful fish. And they are delicious.

Mingo

Life of the Party
Cool thread, so many incredible species to try for...

One of my most thrilling was a a brief fly rod battle, using a 14 wt, with a 6-7 foot tiger shark that chased a 25 lb yellowfin a friend was fighting. I had a big streamer tied on a 60 lb fluoro leader and I made a cast and ... I'll be damned if the shark didn't turn and eat the fly. That first run is something I'll never forget. It eventually cut my leader, of course, but I'll never forget that fight.

I admit to a weird fetish for unusual fly rod encounters with fish that "are not supposed to eat flies", but occasionally do. Like surgeonfish, local parrot species etc.

mems

Steelhead

Milkfish are the hardest to get to eat and one of the toughest to land, no teeth

Inshore I like big bones

Omilu, bluefinned trevally are abundant and great fighters

Ahi this size are fun on a flyrod, big ones suck and I don't care what Silverfly dreams of
I have not caught a sailfish yet, but that is on the list
Happy New Year to all
If things work out we might be back on CI in April, first group, keeping our fingers crossed.