The Top Saltwater Fly Rod Game Fish?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter

Milkfish are the hardest to get to eat and one of the toughest to land, no teeth

Inshore I like big bones

Omilu, bluefinned trevally are abundant and great fighters

Ahi this size are fun on a flyrod, big ones suck and I don't care what Silverfly dreams of
I have not caught a sailfish yet, but that is on the list
Happy New Year to all
If things work out we might be back on CI in April, first group, keeping our fingers crossed.

You should occasionally post pictures of yourself holding fish.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Ok Ok, it seems as if some folks don't know just how amazing surf perch really are.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

2PlNDU7.jpg

919q7EY.jpg

mems

Steelhead
Dime check out this story I found on flylords. I have caught triggers and they are fun, but they like to go into their hole and then it is over. The guy catches long nosed emperors and we call them sweetlips on Christmas Island but he catches some other sweetlips in the Indian Ocean and Red Sea. Albula don't read the article you won't like it, the guy is holding fish.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Dime check out this story I found on flylords. I have caught triggers and they are fun, but they like to go into their hole and then it is over. The guy catches long nosed emperors and we call them sweetlips on Christmas Island but he catches some other sweetlips in the Indian Ocean and Red Sea. Albula don't read the article you won't like it, the guy is holding fish.
Cool article Don! I've caught titan triggers, yellowmargin triggers, Napoleon wrasse, spangled emperors, and long nose emperors. Most are a challenge to feed a fly and Napoleon wrasse are super powerful. I would love to have shots at some blue bastards down in Australia! I've generally overlooked parrotfish, except bumphead parrotfish, and will give them more casts on the future.

mems

Steelhead
Triggers are fun, they love crabs. On Christmas Island they spook easily. I think it is because everyone throws flies at them all day long. The waiving tails make them super easy to spot.
Sweet lips there are a surprise they come out of nowhere and look like rocks with pink lipstick, but man are they good eating.
Parrot fish, here we call them uhu are delicious but have only seen guys spearing them. I have heard guys have caught them with pieces of coral on a hook.
Hooked one bumphead out by Korean Wreck on CI with a crab fly but it ran over the edge and was gone in seconds. Super strong fish.
Best place I have been for triggers was Palmyra. Must have been the lack of pressure. Surgeon fish are crazy strong and fun to catch.
Post some pics of your triggers, those teeth are crazy.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Yellowmargin Triggerfish.jpg
20200606_215309.jpg
Sweet Lips.jpg
Here you go Don. Yellowmargin trigger, Titan trigger, and a long nose emperor. Triggers are moody, so I don't target them seriously unless the tide is slack and their body language looks hungry. Emperors are fun. Very common in the Seychelles, but over harvested for food in other atoll locations.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm sure a few folks on here will tell me I'm wrong, and I honestly haven't done this fishery yet... but I know a handful of people who have gone after makos and all say it's rarely as exciting as the videos and pictures make you think. You basically sit around with a chum slick waiting for one you're interested in targeting to swim up. Once they eat, you let them run and eventually drive the hook home. It's mostly just a slog to get them in and not the 50mph flips you see on youtube. At least not as commonly as you'd think.

When I asked two of my good buddies if they'd do it again or would recommend me going, both emphatically said "definitely not."

As far as my favorite saltwater fish on a fly rod, I really, really like dorado. They just have it all, and the fight never lasts so long it becomes a chore. They're a great size, have spectacular aerials, and don't sound/dive down deep.
And grilled make tasty tacos…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

Milkfish are the hardest to get to eat and one of the toughest to land, no teeth

Inshore I like big bones

Omilu, bluefinned trevally are abundant and great fighters

Ahi this size are fun on a flyrod, big ones suck and I don't care what Silverfly dreams of
I have not caught a sailfish yet, but that is on the list
Happy New Year to all
If things work out we might be back on CI in April, first group, keeping our fingers crossed.

I have to agree about the awa…I speared one many years ago and it took off like a rocket…I felt it in my shoulder later…

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok Ok, it seems as if some folks don't know just how amazing surf perch really are.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

2PlNDU7.jpg

919q7EY.jpg

They abolutely have a spot on my list. Red tails might not be huge, jump, or provde visual eats. BUT, they're aggressive, fight hard, are beautiful, and delicious. I think the best part though, is experiencing and trying to figure out the surf as fly fishing venue. There's a lot more going on than what one see's at first glance. Beautiful fish in a beautiful place. What's not to like?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
They abolutely have a spot on my list. Red tails might not be huge, jump, or provde visual eats. BUT, they're aggressive, fight hard, are beautiful, and delicious. I think the best part though, is experiencing and trying to figure out the surf as fly fishing venue. There's a lot more going on than what one see's at first glance. Beautiful fish in a beautiful place. What's not to like?
actually, very true....it's also a workout....