The thumbs up is my new thing

Chadk

Life of the Party
Something I noticed when I moved here is how some Americans give you a nonchalant "yep" or "mhm", in response to you saying thanks. I mainly noticed it in dining scenarios, when I thanked the waiter.

It is so weird. I thought they were pissed off about something. It's not just me, either; many foreigners that I know have noticed the same thing.

Edit: To clarify, they are not actually in a bad mood and this is just how they respond to gratitude. It's some kind of strange cultural thing.
Try Chick-fil-A sometime. They have southern hospitality down pretty well. Only place in the Seattle area where 18 year olds smile and say "my pleasure" when you thank them.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I've always wondered why guys in some sports go around smacking eachother on the butt.

Actually, I think we should steal that and work it into fly fishing. Face it, gear fisherman already think we are gay... So now, after landing a fish, instead of a selfie or taking a hero shot of your buddy, just give him a pat on his tushy. Who's in???

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've always wondered why guys in some sports go around smacking eachother on the butt.

Actually, I think we should steal that and work it into fly fishing. Face it, gear fisherman already think we are gay... So now, after landing a fish, instead of a selfie or taking a hero shot of your buddy, just give him a pat on his tushy. Who's in???
That made me giggle. I get the best hugs from my son or the grandkids post fish release.

Last edited:

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Swimmy to the coffee bar girl:

I NEVER go double thumbs up.

I gotta know... is @swimmy a 8/12oz slam quickly redbull guy or a 24oz sip can slowly all day redbull guy.

Double12 oz'er Stone Cold style

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Something I noticed when I moved here is how some Americans give you a nonchalant "yep" or "mhm", in response to you saying thanks. I mainly noticed it in dining scenarios, when I thanked the waiter.

This is another situation where the thumbs up is awesome.

I actually did a thread on this back on WFF. I thought it was funny as fuck but the usual wet blankets showed up and tried to ruin the fun.

BriGuy

Life of the Party

Just imagine the sound of a good butt slap on waders. Let's do this! 🖐

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
I've found myself giving a lot of thumbs ups lately. I think it works better than the two finger salute, a tip of the hat, a wave, or any other gesture. It is also appropriate for so many situations.

For example, when you float past another boat on the river, nod the head and throw 'em a thumbs up. Catch a cute girl making eye contact at the coffee bar, a smile and a thumbs up leaves her curious. When you drain a 20 foot birdie putt and walking to the hole to get your ball, thumbs up to the gallery. When you are looking to cross the street on your jog and a car stops to let you pass, thumbs up.

It is versatile, kind of different, and be super cool if done right.

Thoughts? What other situations do you find yourself in where the thumbs up could be the move?

200.gif
Get it. Always loved the thumbs up.