The thumbs up is my new thing

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I've found myself giving a lot of thumbs ups lately. I think it works better than the two finger salute, a tip of the hat, a wave, or any other gesture. It is also appropriate for so many situations.

For example, when you float past another boat on the river, nod the head and throw 'em a thumbs up. Catch a cute girl making eye contact at the coffee bar, a smile and a thumbs up leaves her curious. When you drain a 20 foot birdie putt and walking to the hole to get your ball, thumbs up to the gallery. When you are looking to cross the street on your jog and a car stops to let you pass, thumbs up.

It is versatile, kind of different, and be super cool if done right.

Thoughts? What other situations do you find yourself in where the thumbs up could be the move?

200.gif

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've found myself giving a lot of thumbs ups lately. I think it works better than the two finger salute, a tip of the hat, a wave, or any other gesture. It is also appropriate for so many situations.

For example, when you float past another boat on the river, nod the head and throw 'em a thumbs up. Catch a cute girl making eye contact at the coffee bar, a smile and a thumbs up leaves her curious. When you drain a 20 foot birdie putt and walking to the hole to get your ball, thumbs up to the gallery. When you are looking to cross the street on your jog and a car stops to let you pass, thumbs up.

It is versatile, kind of different, and be super cool if done right.

Thoughts? What other situations do you find yourself in where the thumbs up could be the move?

200.gif
I'm a fan of the thumbs up. Something of a tangent: I have lived in a lot of different places around the country (MA, VT, NH, WI, MT, ID, NV, AZ, NM, & WA) and I enjoy paying attention to the diferent ways people wave across the the top of the steering wheel when a car passes in the opposite direction. Raised index finger, raised four fingers, raised four fingers with a slide toward the pinkie, palm tilt - it is like a dialect or regional accent!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've always been a thumbs up guy myself. I approve (y)

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
1663949171955.jpeg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I go through phases. Thumbs up (y). "Rock on" metal horns 🤘. These days I'm rolling with the "hang loose" shaka 🤙 a lot of the time (apparently we only have a sideways version in the emoji database).

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love throwing a thumbs-up at pissy drivers instead of a middle finger. Seems to really confuse the other guy and hopefully even diffuse his/her rage a little. Not sure if it's just my age or what, but there sure seem to be a lot of them out there lately.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Just don't do it in the middle east part of the world. They're not down with it. :)

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
A broken thumb and a massive cast on his right hand didn’t stop Clay Matthews from giving a thumbs up with his left hand as a way of saying “I’m okay.” Gotta respect a guy who communicates that way, and gives his all on the field of play.

4734531F-7FF1-4939-B6B1-56F9D7C7CEAA.jpeg

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I personally like to throw a smile and a Vulcan Live Long and Prosper sign 🖖

If they're a sci fi geek, you'll make their day! If they're not, they'll most likely just be confused - which is also fun :D

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
First off, Swimmy is a Red Bull (sugar free) guy, so he's never going to meet any girl at a coffee bar. And I'm pretty sure the young lady in the convenience store where Swimmy bought his Red Bull was actually checking me out, not him.

Second, if you have to think about what your sign or "thing" is, you're not doing it right.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Also a thumbs up, very versital, have been using the double thumbs up at chest height recently.

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I love throwing a thumbs-up at pissy drivers instead of a middle finger. Seems to really confuse the other guy and hopefully even diffuse his/her rage a little. Not sure if it's just my age or what, but there sure seem to be a lot of them out there lately.
In our household, we've started throwing the thumbs-down to these drivers.

Sort of like a good 6wt, thumbs are versatile instruments.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
First off, Swimmy is a Red Bull (sugar free) guy, so he's never going to meet any girl at a coffee bar. And I'm pretty sure the young lady in the convenience store where Swimmy bought his Red Bull was actually checking me out, not him.

Second, if you have to think about what your sign or "thing" is, you're not doing it right.
I gotta know... is @swimmy a 8/12oz slam quickly redbull guy or a 24oz sip can slowly all day redbull guy.

Redbull + OJ tastes like a smarties candy

Redbull + OJ + Citron vodka + ice = tic-tac (one of wife's favorite drinks)

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Nothing tops this...the less head movement the better, but the big smile is crucial to the move.
It says ' Yeah..we got this...we know it...Yup'

Comes with its own music, which a thumbs up doesn't...
:)