The Mountain Bike Thread

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Got a new aggressive hardtail over the winter. Mostly because I volunteer to run an elementary school MTB club and I don't need the FS bike to keep up with those kids.

But it's actually turned out to be a fun and interesting challenge to ride it on my own rides. You really have to pick your lines carefully if you are trying to go at any speed down tech stuff.
I built myself up one as well…. I find it every bit as capable as my 170mm trail bike, with the exception of braking over the chunder and roots. I do pick my lines a little more carefully just to ease the pain on my rear wheel, but the tire inserts really help take the sting off.

I’m thinking with a weight weenie wheel/tire swap I could pull off some shorter bike packing fishing trips. IMG_9590.jpeg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
but the tire inserts really help take the sting off.
I generally do not run aggressively enough to benefit from inserts. but I've been thinking of finding one of the lighter ones for my rear wheel on the hardtail.

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I generally do not run aggressively enough to benefit from inserts. but I've been thinking of finding one of the lighter ones for my rear wheel on the hardtail.
Vittoria air liner, 100% weighs next to nothing, doesnt rattle around, it'll let your ride it out with single digit psi if there's a slow leak that wont seal or you burped it and dont have a pump or co2

Hem

Life of the Party
Just got back from a family gathering near Cle Elum. 40 something people, good excuse for three of us to go ride each day for a few hours.
I have to say the trail system outside of Rosalyn is top notch. What a blast.
No pictures were taken unfortunately.
Kudos to the folks who mapped out those trails.

Dave M

Smolt
Anyone else around here do any mountain biking? If so, I thought we might like to have a thread to post rides and whatnot. Even better if you can combine biking and fishing? I admit, I have yet to have a situation where that was possible, but I know a few buddies in OR who have done it.
I used to, but being an aging hardwood floorman forced me to quit. Cold turkey! I miss the shit out of it. Still have my 2009 Santa Cruz Heckler sitting in the garage. All clean and lonely.
I think about riding, then think better of it. I see all the new fangled Carbon 29ers and drool.
But being 2 months short of 60 makes it easy to just say no.
😒

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I used to, but being an aging hardwood floorman forced me to quit. Cold turkey! I miss the shit out of it. Still have my 2009 Santa Cruz Heckler sitting in the garage. All clean and lonely.
I think about riding, then think better of it. I see all the new fangled Carbon 29ers and drool.
😒
I mean, I see a lot of older dudes up on my local trails. I'm always impressed.

Dave M

Smolt
Oh totally dude. Whistler is a bucket list for me. I got my 20 year old daughter into it as well. I am down here by Capital Forest. After my surgery I will go join that club/group also and introduce myself. I wont have a bike till I pay a few debts off but I figure it would still be fun to go out there and volunteer to help on the maintenance crew or something. Atleast they will know me before they see me on a bike ha ha
Whistler is MTB Mecca!!
Had a seasons pass 6 yrs. in a row from 05 to 2010.
Expensive but fun!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I used to ride quite a bit, but have been too busy fishing the last 2 years. Tough problem I know. :cool: The bug is back though. I'll probably go for a short ride tomorrow morning. I can ride decent little trails right from my house so don't have to worry about some dumbass breaking my rig.

My bike is a 2018 Nukeproof Scout 27.5 hardtail. It's the Sport trim which is their lowest that year, but still great components for under $900. I'm almost 6'4" so I need an XL and I had a damned hard time finding one (in any brand) in stock in the US. Chain Reaction cycles had this one for $849 and only $69 to ship it across the pond. Nukeproof is an English brand, but the bikes are made in Poland. The Scout is a really fun hardtail with way slack geometry, perfect for my long back. And I'm one of those flat pedal BMX types so it's perfect for me.

I've added RaceFace Chester pedals, ODI waffle grips and a PNW Rainier IR dropper. BTW, if you're new to the MTB game and happen to ride a hardtail, make a dropper your first mod.

She's purty-
20210413_185424_HDR.jpg

This is the old steed that she replaced. I miss it sometimes...and then I go ride the Nukeproof and forget all about it. Haha! It was pretty sick for it's time though! I added the Drake fork, bars (off my KTM!), grips and neck.

20130325_121213.jpg

Fairly obvious I'm a sucker for blue & red bikes. Unless it's a BMX bike, then it has to be orange! Here's the old Redline I rescued from the bushes down the street in 2009. I had to pretty much rebuild it from the frame up. Probably stolen and dumped. I put out Craigslist ads and FB posts for a few weeks. When nobody came forward I rebuilt it.
It became my youngest son's neighborhood clanker so he wouldn't break is race bike doing dumb stuff on the pavement. I figured out it's a 1999 Redline XX.

DoubleX.jpg

Stacy

Hem

Life of the Party
😒
I turned 60 earlier this year.
Dammit, I'm not doing pedal assist just yet.
Career in building homes, moved 100 ton of materisl for certain, so I understand the wear and tear...career flooring is tough on the knees.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Career in building homes, moved 100 ton of materisl for certain, so I understand the wear and tear...career flooring is tough on the knees.
And, there, Josh, is the direct answer to your indirect question. Worn out knees that are old early from careers that destroy them. I put 17 extra years worth of wear on mine doing wiring on military vehicles. Trust me, it hurts us to stand up or even just get out the car sometimes. I cringe at what riding a bike is going to feel like.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Had a good short ride this morning. The idea of adding a pedal assist mid-drive motor like the Bafang 750w is appealing. I've ridden a mid-drive bike and they are really nice. You still get a workout, but easier to keep the heart rate in check. And you can cover more miles.
I'm 55 and all the trails I can ride from my house are up or down. The downhill is fun, of course, but the uphill is all granny gear stuff. That's where the pedal assist would be really nice. My bike would be a good conversion candidate. I don't need a throttle just a few watts helping me pedal.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Is anyone using liners, heavier tubes (Schwalbe, etc), or Slime and other goo injection to reduce punctures and flats?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
. I cringe at what riding a bike is going to feel like.
been through two knee repairs, daughter is a PT...there is nothing better for your knees than even cadence, low load spinning...it stretches ligaments and tendons in a good way, strengthens the quads which reduces load on the joint, and strimulates the production of synovial fluid which lubricates the joint. Low cost hack - pick up a used rigid that fits well, mount it on an indoor air or magnetic trainer, flick on the TV and start spinning...if not used, joints can only dry out and become more problematic

Last edited:

Hem

Life of the Party
been through two knee repairs, daughter is a PT...there is nothing better for your knees than even cadence, low load spinning...it stretches ligaments and tendons in a good way, strengthens the quads which reduces load on the joint, and strimulates the production of synovial fluid which lubricates the joint. Low cost hack - pick up a used rigid that fits well, mount it on an indoor air or magnetic trainer, flick on the TV and start spinning...if not used, joints can only dry out and become more problematic
I have a workout space in my shop with a variety of machines..concept 2 Rowing machine( 23 years old), Versa climber, Incline trainer, and a 30 year old Trek 10 speed on a resistance wheel. Most picked up used. Bar-bell I have had since 8th grade. It's a hodge podge, but nice to switch things up through the course of the year. Amazing everything still works with years of regular use.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a workout space in my shop with a variety of machines..concept 2 Rowing machine( 23 years old), Versa climber, Incline trainer, and a 30 year old Trek 10 speed on a resistance wheel. Most picked up used. Bar-bell I have had since 8th grade. It's a hodge podge, but nice to switch things up through the course of the year. Amazing everything still works with years of regular use.
How often do you use them! I have a friend who bought the most expensive Bow Flex System only to become a clothes rack after a month :unsure:

Divad

Whitefish
Is anyone using liners, heavier tubes (Schwalbe, etc), or Slime and other goo injection to reduce punctures and flats?
I am tubeless with Orange sealant + glitter. The glitter really helps fill holes that are too big for the sealant. If you can adapt your current wheels to some tubeless tires and tape I’d recommend it.

Else I’ve ran thick tubes in the past, not sure which ones they were. I touched all of them at the shop and went with the thickest ones.

Hem

Life of the Party
How often do you use them! I have a friend who bought the most expensive Bow Flex System only to become a clothes rack after a month :unsure:
I go through phases of using 2 or 3 devices 4 times a week. Been doing that for 30 years. I am not a fitness freak though. I work out to prepare me for the seasonal recreations I enjoy. Telemark skiing in the winter, backpacking, mountain biking, hunting, paddleboarding. I also NEED to keep the muscles firing for my work, construction only becomes more challenging with every year.
Yep, keeps the blood pressure in check too.
No dust here, unless I leave the garage door up when the wind is whipping the prairie. 😆