The Mountain Bike Thread

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
More of a roadie here, but when I look at 29" MTB wheels and tires, all I see is a lot of unsprung weight. Does this mean that MTBers aren't the weight weenies that roadies tend to be?
Some are, but the advantages of wheel size and tire grip generally "outweigh" the disadvantages of the extra weight. It's the same wheel size that road bikes use, and you don't see roadies going down to 26" wheels to save weight. Tires it's just a grip and durability vs weight tradeoff. That balance is different for someone racing XC vs someone doing general trail riding, vs someone riding lift assisted downhill. Same goes for wheel build (strength vs weight).

Itchy Dog

Steelhead
Mid travel 27.5 or Mid travel 29er I am still on the heavy side and I enjoyed my last giant trance well. I am wanting something affordable in the 2-3k range that I can get back into the swing of things with. My local hill is capital forest and plan on doing the easy going stuff for now but my goal is to hit whistlers modest stuff next year. I am thinking anything in the 140-160 range for the front is prefered. I don't put any thought into the climbability of the bike cause if I want the bike to climb better I just need to lose 10 more pounds LOL. So enjoy being a little overbiked for the downhill stuff

Bikes im looking at:

Kona process 150 or the 140
Transition sentinal or scout
specialized stump jumper
giant trance or reign

What I would ultimately love to find is a lightly used transition or Kona cause I want a "washington" bike LOL
Add the Santa Cruz Bronson to your list. It’s a great all arounder and as of 2021 (I believe) comes with a mixed (MX) wheelset (mullet): 29er (business) up front and 27.5 (party) in the rear. In other words you get the best of both worlds in rollover ability with the larger front wheel and nimbleness out back.

Last edited:

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Thanks man. I also just found the YT bikes too and that Jeffsy is looking like a top contendor
YT, Polygon, Commencal, Canyon, etc (more popping up faster than I can keep track of) direct to consumer brands are definitely worth looking at. The Ripmo AF at these prices are tough to beat though. Ripley AF is probably also worth considering though depending on how much travel you want.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
YT, Polygon, Commencal, Canyon, etc (more popping up faster than I can keep track of) direct to consumer brands are definitely worth looking at. The Ripmo AF at these prices are tough to beat though. Ripley AF is probably also worth considering though depending on how much travel you want.
I know that there is a hot topic when it comes to buying local for all kinds of things. Are these direct to consumer brands "accepted" within the community? I am sure there are snobs everywhere but was curious?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I know that there is a hot topic when it comes to buying local for all kinds of things. Are these direct to consumer brands "accepted" within the community? I am sure there are snobs everywhere but was curious?
While I'm no bike snob there are advantages to buying from a local bike shop just as there is with local flyshops.

I had a front tire blowout (literally blew off the rim and damaged the rim on the road) on a new bike on the first day's ride and had a new wheel and tire replaced by the shop within the same day.

I wrench, but for some things I expect a shop to make right. Don't expect a local shop to give a shit about a problem with a mail-order bike.

Last edited:

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
While I'm no bike snob there are advantages to buying from a local bike shop just as there is with local flyshops.

I had a front tire blowout (literally blew off the rim and damaged the rim on the road) on a new bike on the first day's ride and had a new wheel and tire replaced by the shop within the same day.

I wrench, but for some things I expect a shop to make right. Don't expect a local shop to give shit about a problem with a mail-order bike.
Thats what I figured. MTB community are some the the most chill folks I have ever been around and are definitely my kind of folks. I have a pretty high mechanical aptitude and have already built bikes before so the direct to consumer option is a big plus for me cause I love putting crap together anyway. My wife said if i had wings Id be tinkerbell LOL.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I would say so yes. I mean tons of big brands are offering direct to consumer bikes anyways. In my 13 years of mountain biking I've never bought my personal bike from a bike shop, and I've only taken stuff in a couple times. They'll still happily take your money to work on your bike, just don't expect them to bend over backwards for you if you never buy anything from them.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would say so yes. I mean tons of big brands are offering direct to consumer bikes anyways. In my 13 years of mountain biking I've never bought my personal bike from a bike shop, and I've only taken stuff in a couple times. They'll still happily take your money to work on your bike, just don't expect them to bend over backwards for you if you never buy anything from them.
Yeah, well said. That reminds me I had a similar situation with my last bike shop in idaho, they did the bending over backwards thing one time and I went and brought back a case of beer for the team (managerial approval ofcourse). Another example how this community kicks ass.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Yeah, well said. That reminds me I had a similar situation with my last bike shop in idaho, they did the bending over backwards thing one time and I went and brought back a case of beer for the team (managerial approval ofcourse). Another example how this community kicks ass.
Yeah it's a pretty relaxed industry mostly. I don't really have any good shop local to me, so I've mainly just learned to be self sufficient in the purchasing and wrenching of my bikes.

Divad

Whitefish
“Let me just throw some new sealant in” turned into…
“Let me fix the rim tape” turned into…
“Cassette could use a cleaning” then oops popped off the hub body and holy moly turned into…
02D22B0D-D1BA-48BC-A16A-014EB37BF07A.jpeg

Found a full set of ceramic bearings for the Hope hubs on sale for $60. After seeing this I know what the problem(s) was… saved a couple hundred in servicing costs.

Pivot bearings and rear shock come fall, boo 👻

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Believe me...I'm a fan of sealed bearings and have FS and hardtail mtn bikes but having wrenched on my bikes for over 50 years there's a lot to be said for rigid frames, friction shifters, cable brakes, and rebuildable hubs and cranksets. System complexity has its downsides. I wouldn't consider long distance touring on my newer bikes and my full suspension legs did pretty well on ski resort downhills/climbs with 26" tires, rigid fork and frame back in the day. Tearing into my high end Fox shocks to replace seals, etc...is terrifying.

Last edited:

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
Heading up to bachelor today for a few hrs. Anyone else on here local to the Bend area that rides Mt Bachelor?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Got a new aggressive hardtail over the winter. Mostly because I volunteer to run an elementary school MTB club and I don't need the FS bike to keep up with those kids.

But it's actually turned out to be a fun and interesting challenge to ride it on my own rides. You really have to pick your lines carefully if you are trying to go at any speed down tech stuff.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
i bought a FS MTB thinking it would unlock my fitness goals. Turns out I am still fat and lazy, even with owning a MTB. I need to sell it, or ride the damn thing. I cant make up my mind.
You guys speak a foreign language with these bikes. I keep thinking about buying a MB but the terminology is mystifying ;-)