NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
It is different because big oil actively and aggressively lied to the public on this issue. They knew fully of the climate threat of fossil fuels, their own scientists were on it since the 1970s. Yet their PR machine lied for decades and decades, said there was no threat, they lied about it to our elected leaders to oppose legislation and keep getting their tax cuts, to keep funding their oil wars in the middle east. Really awful evil stuff, for our country, and for the world. They’re also uniquely capitalized and positioned to do something about the problem, to work on alternatives, yet instead they used their resources to deny and deflect, to actively lie to us.
So what is the alternative available on a massive scale? There isn’t one. I burn 200,000 lbs to haul 290 SOB to AKL to go fly fishing/vacation/whatever and with modern technology there is nothing that can power that mode of transportation safely while conforming to the laws of physics. I’m not saying there aren’t alternatives being presented but there is a reason fossil fuels continue to be heavily utilized. Cost, accessibility, and weight will decided the future. That is the dilemma with battery technology, it is a constant game of catch up, want more range, need more weight, which further reduces performance up to an absolute limitation.

Scottybs

Forum Supporter
The article didn't say. There's a lot of oil royalty money up there though...

The cost of doing nothing could be pretty steep.

Greg one of my good buddies house went up in smoke in the Santa Rosa fire, it sucks but shit happens. As I’ve stated before I am not against seeking out cleaner fuel sources but it‘s going to come down to the cost of energy. you can’t expect society to turn on a dime and increase their costs out of their budget massively, especially when they are barely making ends meet.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In all honesty after thinking about it for a bit the real message of the film was pretty clear. That message is do what you do and don't change your actions but provide lip service to try and influence others to change theirs. That maybe wasn't the intent but that's what it is. Talk is cheap. Especially hypocritical talk.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In all honesty after thinking about it for a bit the real message of the film was pretty clear. That message is do what you do and don't change your actions but provide lip service to try and influence others to change theirs. That maybe wasn't the intent but that's what it is. Talk is cheap. Especially hypocritical talk.
Not quite so keep thinking! Hint: we’ve already covered the actual message from the film numerous times.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
…I burn 200,000 lbs to haul 290 SOB to AKL to go fly fishing/vacation/whatever…

100 tons of carbon * $50/ton offset cost / 290 seats equals $17.24 per seat. Use a different offset cost if you’d like. We can afford to keep flying.

Is it fair that rich Americans get to fly fish in Alaska with less guilt if they pay for cleaner coal plants in India? I don’t know — but if the tech and the money work then I also don’t really care.

I don’t see why offsets can’t help. A lot. Believe it or not, there’s only one atmosphere.

Easy to set up, and administer? No. But it’s the most complex problem in human history so maybe we ought to expect some challenges.

Scottybs

Forum Supporter
100 tons of carbon * $50/ton offset cost / 290 seats equals $17.24 per seat. Use a different offset cost if you’d like. We can afford to keep flying.

Is it fair that rich Americans get to fly fish in Alaska with less guilt if they pay for cleaner coal plants in India? I don’t know — but if the tech and the money work then I also don’t really care.

I don’t see why offsets can’t help. A lot. Believe it or not, there’s only one atmosphere.

Easy to set up, and administer? No. But it’s the most complex problem in human history so maybe we ought to expect some

Carbon offset credits=wealth redistribution…a scam… no thanks… so let me get this straight, now that we‘re opening Pandora’s Box… we pay for a developing nations power source and we then we outsource our jobs to them with more capability. Damn…what a concept. Sorry but a big no. I’ll plant a few new trees in my back yard and keep hauling folks across the globe. You do you. BTW AKL is Aukland, NZ.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Greg one of my good buddies house went up in smoke in the Santa Rosa fire, it sucks but shit happens. As I’ve stated before I am not against seeking out cleaner fuel sources but it‘s going to come down to the cost of energy. you can’t expect society to turn on a dime and increase their costs out of their budget massively, especially when they are barely making ends meet.
You're right, it costs money. And as the film also illustrates, change is hard.

But there's some good news here. Solar costs have come down by roughly 50% in the last decade, and installations are rapidly increasing, as this report illustrates;

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
This might be of interest to you as a pilot... a nearby commercial Airline outfit that's trying to do their part.

They even have an electric Beaver on floats (hey, it's a start)

Scottybs

Forum Supporter
This might be of interest to you as a pilot... a nearby commercial Airline outfit that's trying to do their part.

They even have an electric Beaver on floats (hey, it's a start)

Greg,

I think it’s great for airplanes that operate short segments. Less emissions and also less chance for spills in to waterways in the case of Harbourair. I also think that it will be great for primary training aircraft. But as I mentioned earlier, current designs have very firm limitations, so when people cling to their ideals and speak in absolutes, it’s very flawed. To your post above concerning solar, I’m very happy to see the gains in solar, if I had a roof that faced south and didn‘t live on the wet side of the state, I would definitely install. Cheers.

Last edited:

SSPey

loco alto!
I’m not sure that anyone is grounding flights because of CO2 emissions, but we’ve lost 40-50 years of progress towards alternatives in all sorts of ways because of big oil’s lies and obfuscation, and it is still an uphill battle. We know how to make jet fuel from logging slash piles, think of all the slash piles burned over those decades, with no co-benefits realized.

Will it all be free? No. Neither was the clean air act, clean water act, etc. Is it necessary? Depends if one thinks we should be stewards or maximally selfish. When there’s talk of transitions, it is too often mis-portrayed as an absolute reversal to the stone age. Good fun stuff didn’t cease to exist when we switched to LEDs.

Scottybs

Forum Supporter
. We know how to make jet fuel from logging slash piles, think of all the slash piles burned over those decades, with no co-benefits realized.

SSPey,

I have no doubt that the oil industry has been watching out for their own for the last 100 years, that’s the nature of the beast with any entity. Yes, you can make fuels from all sorts of stuff, the problem is scale, accessibility and transportation of the raw materials. Aviation bio fuels have their limitations and are a marketing tool aimed at a segment of consumer, nothing more. The cost to produce these fuels is something like 4x compared to traditional Jet-A last I read, and again the scale, impossible to implement.

Last edited:

SSPey

loco alto!
Part of the high cost is lack of development of the product for 40-50 years. Likewise, sell fossil fuel for its real cost (someone elaborated on this in a prior post) and the 4x factor shrinks fast

Scottybs

Forum Supporter
Sell fossil fuel for its real cost (someone elaborated on this in a prior post) and the 4x factor shrinks fast
See that falls apart too, as all of these “sustainable“ fuels have massive subsidies baked into them, and we’re still back at square one. And again, scale, there is nothing on the table that could ramp up to the massive amounts of oil consumed everyday. Realistic solutions are going to be a lot more challenging than falling into a left or right mindset and realizing there is no absolute victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.