The "How was your weekend?" thread...

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Hosted my parents + brother’s family for cider pressing. Got that done Saturday morning while it was relatively cool…and before the yellow jackets got bad. Made several gallons of apple and about a gallon of pear cider. It’s delicious fresh and cooks down into nice stuff like syrup, apple butter, cider caramel, and mixed into apple sauce as a sweetener.

In the afternoon I played music in Thorp with a couple of weird old guys :D
16C02594-05EF-4A69-A064-E60D00EC13FB.jpeg

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
It typically begins with a "workbench," and doesn't stop until you finally have a serviceable workshop. Good luck! . . . and about those window trims, wouldn't it be a preferable sequence to replace the windows first, and then refinish the trim work?

Yup, will not stop at the workbench

... and about those windows, that's what I thought, but the window guy suggested the other way, then just a few touch-ups as needed after the new windows go in (he's apparently very careful). Guess the thinking is, don't have to be so careful with the paint on the old windows, new ones, you would need to be very careful.

cheers

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Hosted my parents + brother’s family for cider pressing. Got that done Saturday morning while it was relatively cool…and before the yellow jackets got bad. Made several gallons of apple and about a gallon of pear cider. It’s delicious fresh and cooks down into nice stuff like syrup, apple butter, cider caramel, and mixed into apple sauce as a sweetener.

In the afternoon I played music in Thorp with a couple of weird old guys :D
View attachment 35085
We do the apple pressing as well, and the syrup has become my primary focus after the job. I reduce to 1/8-1/10 volume in a large nonstick pot. While the juice is boiling it will deposit the sediments along the sides of the pot. Periodically reducing the heat and wiping off the sides of the pot really clarifies the product without wasting any. The finest old fashioneds known to man are at hand!!

Screenshot_20221003-105447_Photos.jpg

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Still batting 1000 for the skunk after fishing Creede, Colorado; Kayak Point; and the Green River in Auburn. The past 60 days have been unforgiving. I’ve definitely not been fishing enough to have a solid game plan.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was able to sneak away from the family this weekend:

Hiked the 12 mile Obsidian trail up on Mckenzie Pass on Saturday and then fished a few various blue line tributaries of the Mckenzie on Sunday (yes, I did hook a fish in the eddy across the river, and yes, it immediately dumped down the rapid). It was fantastic. Honestly felt like mid summer though, it was warm.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 7.44.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 7.44.38 AM.png

longputt

Steelhead
It was in no hurry to leave, it was leaving but not fast, so I got a really close look (actually kind of made me a little nervous I'm not sure a 9' for 5wt is the right caliber for a bear). I thought it was wet but it wasn't, it was actually two-toned with really black ears.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well here I go again. Two days ago my provider said she would be referring me to an ENT and a cardiologist due to irregular heartbeats. So Thurs night after a couple cocktails I said screw it I'm going fishing. So friday am I load my pontoon in the truck and head for my favorite little lake . After 70 miles and still a few miles short of my destination I realized I had forgotten my air pump. Hoping I'd get lucky enough to run into another guy with a pontoon I kept on going knowing at the least I would have a nice ride in a beautiful forest. When I got there, sure enough there was a pickup at the launch with a pontoon. I told the owner of my plight and he said don't feel bad I just drove all the way here and forgot my oars, but I do have a pump. He even pumped up my boat for me and in gratitude I gave him four of my favorite patterns for that lake and then he went home. Me? I went fishing, caught a few nice trout and had great day on the water. I would post a photo but I also forgot my camera.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Well here I go again. Two days ago my provider said she would be referring me to an ENT and a cardiologist due to irregular heartbeats. So Thurs night after a couple cocktails I said screw it I'm going fishing. So friday am I load my pontoon in the truck and head for my favorite little lake . After 70 miles and still a few miles short of my destination I realized I had forgotten my air pump. Hoping I'd get lucky enough to run into another guy with a pontoon I kept on going knowing at the least I would have a nice ride in a beautiful forest. When I got there, sure enough there was a pickup at the launch with a pontoon. I told the owner of my plight and he said don't feel bad I just drove all the way here and forgot my oars, but I do have a pump. He even pumped up my boat for me and in gratitude I gave him four of my favorite patterns for that lake and then he went home. Me? I went fishing, caught a few nice trout and had great day on the water. I would post a photo but I also forgot my camera.

Way to get out there and glad someone had a pump for you to use. I hope all is well with your health.

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I fished my way up a watershed the other day. Going from my smoke-free home town through very smoky foothills, and up past it all to a freestone stream.
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.23.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.23.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.24.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.24.59 AM.png

The last pic is part of a couple hundred yards of water that has always been magical for me. I hadn’t been up here for a while, and it was nice to see it again. When I moved from Montana (that was 27 years ago- impossible!) I was nervous about leaving all the great water that was so close to home. This was the river that convinced me things would be all right.

Nothing happening down low, but fishing was great up high. Hopper-droppers, with most of the action on the dropper.

People have talked about their favorite gear- this is it for me. An old Orvis mid-flex 4-weight with a Ross Colorado reel. I would love suggestions as to what I might replace the rod with if and when I ever need to.
Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 5.57.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 7.30.46 AM.png

I was about halfway into my drive to the river when I realized I forgot my wading stick. I just plain can’t fish rivers without it anymore... so what to do… I made a quick very early morning stop at Freddy Meyer’s which led to a mop and bunjee strap purchase. Back in the game.
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 6.22.35 AM.png

G_Smolt

Legend
Had a decent day today. Started out mid-watershed, pickin' garnets with my bride.
20221016_194252.jpg
Moved down the watershed a bit and stomped around (waderless) with a borrowed fly pole and 2 flies.
20221016_194320.jpg
Y'all should wash your trout more. They're all dirty.
20221016_194411.jpg
Mid-afternoon was a good time to visit the local beer makers.
20221016_194233.jpg
Finished up the afternoon with chips and seltzies under the watchful eyes of the lawn crew.
20221016_194154.jpg
Good day indeed.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
20221016_112329.jpg20221015_100202.jpg20221015_100129.jpg20221016_111749.jpg20221015_100142.jpgmy weekend was nice, I snuck out of work early, got a silver on the fly in the evening while wet wading, Saturday I started off tossing dries to rising cutthroat with great success. Got another silver mid day with sun on the water. Sunday was the same with some cutthroat to hand; I had a vicious strike and fight that ended with the fish coming off then getting into another silver and another cutthroat. Have a good week everyone

Last edited: