The Ark Swap - my first fly swap on this site

WWKimba

Smolt

"Two and two, male and female, went into the ark with Noah, as God had commanded Noah." - Genesis 7:9

Though I've been hosting swaps on other sites for 12 years now - this is my first swap offering on PNW! For anyone not familiar with what a swap is please refer to my "Fly Swaps 101" post on this thread. ALL my fly swaps are open to ANY level/experience tyer AND ALL members of my swaps will receive a fly-tying gift from me for participating.

This swap will be open for from 6 tyers as a minimum number to hold the swap to 12 maximum tyers. The key dates for this swap are that the registration period is now open and will close on Friday, March 3rd and the flies must be in to me by Monday, April 3rd. What you'll need to send in is your flies with a toe tag attached to each fly, all placed in your swap box, with a SASE included and all this placed in your sending envelope. I'll PM my mailing address to each of you as you sign-up for the swap.

This swap is open to ALL level and experienced tyer. If you are new to swaps please read my "Fly Swaps 101" posting to answer any questions you may have. Also, if you are newer to tying flies PLEASE let me know as I love using my swaps as a tool to help you improve your tying skills! I've been tying for over 50 years and will be most happy to assisting you so you may have a great swap and learning experience!

To participate: Each of you will tie "2X2" fly pattern - 2X2's are patterns where you start with a hook and tying thread and add 2 other materials to complete the tie. The second "2" is that these patterns should take 2 minutes or less to tie and I STRICKLY enforce this time limit with my calendar!:rolleyes: Just keep things to 2 items or less and you'll be fine!;) The total number of flies that you will need to tie will be determined and posted by me the day after the registration ends. Please include your chosen pattern when you register. Signing up with a TBA/TBD is OK BUT the first one to include their pattern gets it! We don't want to see a bunch of Bivisibles sent in!:oops:

If you have any other questions or concerns, PLEASE contact me on this thread or by PM and I'll get right back to you.

Lastly, PLEASE have fun! I've never seen fly tying as anything but a fun hobby, and I hope that you feel the same way about this wonderful hobby!

Kim

1 - Travis Bile
2 - Long_Rod_Silvers - Blobs
3 - Zak - Usuals - received
4 - Jake -Nothing With An Attitude - received
5 - FontinalisFin - Modified Walt's Worm?? - received
6 - Squatchin - Foxy Minnow - received
7 - Wayne Kohan - CDC & Elk Caddis - received
8 - Gary Knowels - Squirrel Leech - received
9 - clarkman -Thisizdashit -received
10 -
11 -
12 -

BONUS: For those who want to know what a 2X2 can look like, a couple examples:

Parachute Midge Cluster
1675966729791.png

Al Beatty's Para-Glen

1675966832853.png

Partridge and Yellow
1675966997824.png

Last edited:

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Thanks for doing this, I was active on swaps for a few years on the old WFF and I've missed them. I like your 2x2 idea, sign me up please!

WWKimba

Smolt
You are in my friend and welcome. Please not I forgot to include that I'd like to post the name of your pattern ASAP. This is so someone doesn't come in and swoop it from you. I've updated the rules to include this! (I've been tying for over 50 years and that means one important thing - I'M OLD!! Unfortunately, so's my memory!)

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m in.

Either some Nothing With Attitude, or some kind of nymph.

Last edited:

WWKimba

Smolt
I'm in.....
Walts worm, does a bead count in the materials? Dubbing, rib, bead = 3

If the walts worm is a no go then I'll do a partridge and 'color' soft hackle.
For this swap only the hook and tying thread are free. BUT, if you were to pull a Frank Sawyer and use that rib material as the thread...:cool:

You are in either way!

Kim

WWKimba

Smolt
We now have 6 people registered which means that this swap is a go, but I think that we will get a few more involved! BTW, my fastest filling swap took only 22 minutes to fill on the FTF site! That site has about a dozen fine and experienced host with at least 3-6 overlapping swap choices running all 12 months - most I've seen since my FAOL days!

Kim

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
We now have 6 people registered which means that this swap is a go, but I think that we will get a few more involved! BTW, my fastest filling swap took only 22 minutes to fill on the FTF site! That site has about a dozen fine and experienced host with at least 3-6 overlapping swap choices running all 12 months - most I've seen since my FAOL days!

Kim
How's the engagement here vs the other Washington fly fishing forum?

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
You are in my friend and welcome. Please not I forgot to include that I'd like to post the name of your pattern ASAP. This is so someone doesn't come in and swoop it from you. I've updated the rules to include this! (I've been tying for over 50 years and that means one important thing - I'M OLD!! Unfortunately, so's my memory!)
I'll let you know what I'm tying as soon as I figure it out!

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
image.jpg
Shit prototype. I’m sure someone on earth has tied this before, but I don’t know who to give credit to. I’ll speed it up and make it cleaner, but it’s pheasant and wire.

Unless someone knows if it’s been named, I’m calling it the T-Bag special