Taking down animals

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Unhooking a seagull from a pink buzz bomb is pretty much an odd year ritual for me. I kept the streak going last year but their beaks will do a number on your hands given the opportunity.
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Unhooking a seagull from a pink buzz bomb is pretty much an odd year ritual for me. I kept the streak going last year but their beaks will do a number on your hands given the opportunity.
SF

I've had the "pleasure" of this ritual with a good handful of different birds, but by FAR my least favorite to deal with are Albatross. Seem to hook one once a season or so while tuna fishing offshore. Only two situations I've ever found myself dealing with animals on the ocean that put fear into me. First was a salmon shark that was harassing us and bit a 15 lb lingcod in half near the boat....the other is every time we've hooked an Albatross.

Those birds are soooo friggen big! It's hard to quite understand how large they are when you see them flying around or sitting on the water, but up close and personal and pissed off with a large hook somewhere in them they are absolutely terrifying. I don't pull the captain card too often when it comes to situations on a charter, but at this point that's one time when I nope the hell out and make my deckhand deal with it lol.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Jim F.

Found a Beaver dragging a trap & chain around one time. That exercise ruined a perfectly good army surplus coat by the time all was said and done.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I’ve dealt with seagulls a time or two. We’ve put towels over there eyes, they generally calm down enough to get them untangled .

We have had flickers fall down our chimney a few times over the years. Their beak is much more intimidating inside the house than when out in the wild.

Jim F.

Hauling a Great Blue Heron with a broken wing to help can be quite an adventure when the bird gets its head & (what seems like a 6') beak free. A GF & young Nephew lost control of the bird, necessitating a sudden emergency stop. I finally got it covered again with my coat (same WWII Army coat referenced earlier in this thread). Heron made a full recovery.

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I've had the "pleasure" of this ritual with a good handful of different birds, but by FAR my least favorite to deal with are Albatross. Seem to hook one once a season or so while tuna fishing offshore. Only two situations I've ever found myself dealing with animals on the ocean that put fear into me. First was a salmon shark that was harassing us and bit a 15 lb lingcod in half near the boat....the other is every time we've hooked an Albatross.

Those birds are soooo friggen big! It's hard to quite understand how large they are when you see them flying around or sitting on the water, but up close and personal and pissed off with a large hook somewhere in them they are absolutely terrifying. I don't pull the captain card too often when it comes to situations on a charter, but at this point that's one time when I nope the hell out and make my deckhand deal with it lol.
I was bluegill fishing with a little popper on a local pond last summer, and mama mallard was taking the kids for a swim.

I'm cognizant of the ducks desire to eat the popper, and I made sure to get it out of their way when they came through. At some point I look down at my phone, and suddenly my line comes tight, fish on!!

Nope, duckling on. And it's August, so it's more like a freeloading basically adult duck following its mama around like a loser. But the loser is hooked in the corner of the beak, and mama is PISSED!!

I strip the duck in, putting some serious bend in my 6'6 glass 3wt. Mama is in hot pursuit, doing her best to flap and quack that hook out of her babies mouth. I start letting her know that she cant spell smother without mother, and maybe some independence is just what her baby needs.

I've got the chick to my feet. Mama has decided to launch aerial attacks, launching herself into my head and battering me with her wings. In the commotion they both (actually, all 3 of us) become ensnared in the fly line. Finally I've got the quackers lassoed and can get to work. Get the hook out, unwrap the duckling and toss her to the pond. Mama finally let me unwrap her, staying relatively calm til the last of the line was off her. She then burst into my face again for one more battering before joining her brood in the pond.
Fuck a duck I say.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Hauling a Great Blue Heron with a broken wing to help can be quite an adventure when the bird gets its head & (what seems like a 6') beak free. A GF & young Nephew lost control of the bird, necessitating a sudden emergency stop. I finally got it covered again my coat (same WWII Army coat referenced earlier in this thread). Heron made a full recovery.
That’ll poke an eye out…!! 😳

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I was bluegill fishing with a little popper on a local pond last summer, and mama mallard was taking the kids for a swim.

I'm cognizant of the ducks desire to eat the popper, and I made sure to get it out of their way when they came through. At some point I look down at my phone, and suddenly my line comes tight, fish on!!

Nope, duckling on. And it's August, so it's more like a freeloading basically adult duck following its mama around like a loser. But the loser is hooked in the corner of the beak, and mama is PISSED!!

I strip the duck in, putting some serious bend in my 6'6 glass 3wt. Mama is in hot pursuit, doing her best to flap and quack that hook out of her babies mouth. I start letting her know that she cant spell smother without mother, and maybe some independence is just what her baby needs.

I've got the chick to my feet. Mama has decided to launch aerial attacks, launching herself into my head and battering me with her wings. In the commotion they both (actually, all 3 of us) become ensnared in the fly line. Finally I've got the quackers lassoed and can get to work. Get the hook out, unwrap the duckling and toss her to the pond. Mama finally let me unwrap her, staying relatively calm til the last of the line was off her. She then burst into my face again for one more battering before joining her brood in the pond.
Fuck a duck I say.
That’s a great visual read…
Wished it would have been caught on film!! 😁

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Well some dude in the Wuhan wet market was all "I can take this bat-eatin' Pangolin, no problem" then it hisses at him and whammo, we get this COVID comin' in.

Then some other dude in Africa's like "see that pox covered monkey? I can take that, for sure, I mean look at it, all covered in open sores" next thing we know we got this monkeypox comin' in.

Pretty soon some guy in Australia's like "see that Koala with chlamydia in its eyes, that there blind Koala? I can take that one...." next thing we know we got Koala Chlamydia comin' in
You do know there's now an Alaska Pox, right ?