Survival fishing and Alone Season 9

Chadk

Life of the Party
As a side conversatino to this post: https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/usless-hunting-fishing-report.6101/ I wanted to bring up a few things:

1) Anyone watch Alone Season 9 where they were limited to 'fly fishing only' up on Labrador for beautiful brook trout? My kids and I enjoy watching this show. This one resonated well with us as it included fly fishing and grouse hunting - 2 of our favorite things.

2) Somewhat inspired by that show, on a recent hunt, I opted to leave the fly rod/reel home and to with a 'survival kit' approach. 4 flies and a the remnants of a spool of 6lb max UG mono line. The target creeks is very small and overgrown. Very limited access and the areas you can reach, dapping is the best approach given the many logs and branches you have to fight through. I also planned to focus more on grouse hunting and wanted to minimize the weight of my overall backpacking gear.

Once camp was set up, I decided to go try a few of my favorite spots from the past when I had an actual fly rod. As noted in that report linked above, this entire drainage was severely impacted by a fire not long ago. It changed quite a bit - opening up access considerably. Unfortunately, the brookie and cuttie population hasn't fully rebounded yet, so after an hour of sampling a few spots that would normally hold multiple fish, I decided to let them be. I only managed to find one fish - a 6 inch chunky brookie that took the dry fly aggressively.

Back to my question though - anyone every use a stick as your fishing rod? It was harder than I expected to find a good stick rod. Of course, the fire situation didn't help much. I was looking for 10 to 12 foot sticks with a little flex and as light weight as possible. Found one that did the job, but was heavier and harder to wield than I expected. What I found was that even dapping was hard as even a slight breeze and it was challenging to get my fly into the desired spot. Any attempt as 'casting' was laughable. The length of the stick was essential in reaching the target. The length of the line needed to be in the right zone - too much and you get tangled and less accurate. Too short and you can't drive it down into the sweet spot as well. Seemed like about 8 feet of line on the 10 ft stick worked best.

Anyone else ever try this? I suppose I could have gone full tenkara and brought a section of floating line that would have helped some, but definitely would have needed to spend more time finding a better stick with more fly rod like handling. Bottom line, in a survival scenario, a bit of mono line and a few flies in a small creek would get the job done.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
That season of alone was an all timer for me. The guy that dyed his hair like 6 colors to tie flies with? What a stud.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I watched season 1 and then started season 2 (with Fowler and his slingshot) while I was recovering last winter. I quit watching it because my wife was giving me so much shit about the young lady contestant that just loved to get naked outdoors. Hey for ratings right? It wasn't interesting enough to continue on :LOL: I might revisit it if they have a fly fishing series.

Chadk

Life of the Party
That season of alone was an all timer for me. The guy that dyed his hair like 6 colors to tie flies with? What a stud.
Yeah, the hair was a good creative idea, but ultimately wasn't much of an impact. He would have been better off using grouse feathers and squirrel fur.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I watched season 1 and then started season 2 (with Fowler and his slingshot) while I was recovering last winter. I quit watching it because my wife was giving me so much shit about the young lady contestant that just loved to get naked outdoors. Hey for ratings right? It wasn't interesting enough to continue on :LOL: I might revisit it if they have a fly fishing series.
I don't recall anyone getting naked. Maybe I didn't watch season 2. A few times dudes strip down to go swim or bathe - but typically the point is to show how much weight they lost since they started. Usually they lose quite a bit in just 3 or 4 weeks. Some end up getting pulled out early because they are starving and could cause permanent issues/death of allowed to continue.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I have used a willow switch, shoe lace and some tippet to fish supper small water in the past, probably been 25 yrs or more

Supper fun with the little guys!

RCF

Life of the Party
I have used a willow switch, shoe lace and some tippet to fish supper small water in the past, probably been 25 yrs or more

Supper fun with the little guys!
That is how I learned to fish. My first rod was a bamboo branch/frond. Shoe laces work great. I was living in the Deep South and catching pan fish. This was over 60 years ago...

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
As a side conversatino to this post: https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/usless-hunting-fishing-report.6101/ I wanted to bring up a few things:

1) Anyone watch Alone Season 9 where they were limited to 'fly fishing only' up on Labrador for beautiful brook trout? My kids and I enjoy watching this show. This one resonated well with us as it included fly fishing and grouse hunting - 2 of our favorite things.

2) Somewhat inspired by that show, on a recent hunt, I opted to leave the fly rod/reel home and to with a 'survival kit' approach. 4 flies and a the remnants of a spool of 6lb max UG mono line. The target creeks is very small and overgrown. Very limited access and the areas you can reach, dapping is the best approach given the many logs and branches you have to fight through. I also planned to focus more on grouse hunting and wanted to minimize the weight of my overall backpacking gear.

Once camp was set up, I decided to go try a few of my favorite spots from the past when I had an actual fly rod. As noted in that report linked above, this entire drainage was severely impacted by a fire not long ago. It changed quite a bit - opening up access considerably. Unfortunately, the brookie and cuttie population hasn't fully rebounded yet, so after an hour of sampling a few spots that would normally hold multiple fish, I decided to let them be. I only managed to find one fish - a 6 inch chunky brookie that took the dry fly aggressively.

Back to my question though - anyone every use a stick as your fishing rod? It was harder than I expected to find a good stick rod. Of course, the fire situation didn't help much. I was looking for 10 to 12 foot sticks with a little flex and as light weight as possible. Found one that did the job, but was heavier and harder to wield than I expected. What I found was that even dapping was hard as even a slight breeze and it was challenging to get my fly into the desired spot. Any attempt as 'casting' was laughable. The length of the stick was essential in reaching the target. The length of the line needed to be in the right zone - too much and you get tangled and less accurate. Too short and you can't drive it down into the sweet spot as well. Seemed like about 8 feet of line on the 10 ft stick worked best.

Anyone else ever try this? I suppose I could have gone full tenkara and brought a section of floating line that would have helped some, but definitely would have needed to spend more time finding a better stick with more fly rod like handling. Bottom line, in a survival scenario, a bit of mono line and a few flies in a small creek would get the job done.
I've tried it and have often set up young kids with stick and a bit of tippet to nymph with. What works best for me is a long stick and a short bit of tippet and slowly moving the stick out over the lie.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
My pops would make me a stick with line and a worm on a hook. He'd show me where to fish it and then take off to do a little "real" fishing while I sat there with my mom. I seem to recall that I outfished him once...

EB590

Steelhead
I was in the middle of a several hour drive a few years back and stopped in the middle of nowhere to eat. There was what looked like a drainage ditch across the street from the bar i ate at and when I looked in it I saw 3 or 4 decent sized largemouth (3ish lbs).

I had a fly rod in my truck, but for some reason no reel. I had a cone head zonker and a one shot sized spool of maxima 8# Chameleon.

I said f it and strung the mono through the glass 4 weight, tied the zonker on. I had to cast about 25'. The first attempt landed at my feet. The second attempt I made one false cast and made a halfway decent cast. I let the zonker sit and fished I'd like I'd fish a tube jig and a bass ate. I'd love to say I landed it but it went into some vegetation and I broke it off trying to horse it out.

At that point I just laughed, got back in my car and continued my drive.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When I was a high schooler, I was backpacking with a friend through an Appalachian river valley and we came across a shallow, shrinking pool of a disconnected high water channel, which had a bunch of sunfish in it. I caught a couple by hand but found that using a stick to just bash them, or the water right next to them, was enough to stun them and scoop them up. We built a fire and consumed them immediately.

Reactions: Zak