Usless hunting / fishing report

Earlier this summer we noticed that they closed the forest service road to our favorite camp spot and grouse hunting area due to washouts. So one of my daughters and I backpacked the 2.5 miles up the steep road in the 85 degree heat only to find our favorite campsite completely burned out. The big fir and pine trees we set up our tents under for shade and rain cover - just burnt matchsticks from last years big fire. Almost a decade of memories there. One of our primary "deer camp" locations.

The entire landscape had changed. But despite the fire being only a year ago, the greenery was quickly filling in and wildlife was abundant. Bugs, amphibians, reptiles, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, deer - moving right back in. We jumped a few deer from their beds, saw tons of tracks and sign. Even some fresh bear and cougar scat.

The fish population took a big hit. I did manage to catch and release a small but healthy / well fed brook trout, so I think another year or 2 and it will bounce back. In the past, I could bushwhack into a few spots of the overgrown creek and dap up several brookies and cutties consistently. On the plus side, the majority of the downed logs and piles and piles of dead trees and branches littering the entire valley (aka fuel) have been cleared out making moving around off the road and trails and following the creek much easier.

But we came for the grouse this time. No sign of them. We figured as dumb and slow as they are, any in the area would have died. They can't fly fast or far, and seek shelter as well as roost in the thick brushy branches of mature pine and fir trees. Exactly the spots hit hardest by the fires.

So after a little scouting, we came up with a plan B for finding grouse. We packed up the next morning and set out for another area about 20 miles away where I found grouse while deer hunting in the years before.

My daughter was discouraged and I could tell was leaning toward just heading home. Hiking around in the heat wasn't much fun. No tree cover made it worse. And no grouse - well, it was a downer for sure. But I always have a backup plan or 2 up my sleeve...

We drove to my spot and I hyped it up. I was 90% sure we'd at least see some. Getting the shot was a another thing.

After 5 minutes on the overgrown road/trail, we startled a grouse and it took off. No shot for me and my shotgun, but I tracked it to the tree it landed on and we started to move in. But as we walked, we heard rustling in the original tree on the ground. Sure enough, a grouse pops straight up and looks right at my daughter about 10 feet off the ground and 15 feet from her face. "Take your shot". Her old marline 22 bolt action cracks and mr. grouse hits the deck with only a few flaps before expiring. Success! I was good at this point. But knew the better spot was up ahead. So we pushed on.

After 10 more minutes, we were in the sweet spot I had been hyping up. Got to the far side and hit the jackpot. Several grouse start taking off in multiple directions. I miss a few miserably as they fly - not well versed in taking birds on the wing.... One just happens to land about 10 yards from me up in a tree with a perfect view - normally I'd let her have the shot, but she's still 20 yards away and tells me to take it. I take the shot with my 20 gauge and remove the birds head completely. It flaps around like the proverbial chicken with it's head cut off - and settles right at our feet just as she caught up with me as if I was delivered right to us.

We poked around a bit more, but decided we were ready for lunch and had enough fun for the day.

Pics from the burn area:

On the way up, before the burn zone - no idea what to expect, but hopeful....
11111380609499_10161953306816554_7125142466427030211_n.jpg

In the heart of the burn. This was all green like the pic above until the fire....
11111379193473_10161953306086554_199354144352891984_n.jpg

111111379270407_10161953308576554_302891466663258944_n.jpg

11111380665237_10161953308681554_2771214472209263195_n.jpg

11111378959844_10161953305991554_5915430170470523298_n.jpg

Our old camp spot. No sign of the old camp. It had been used for decades by us and some old timers as a base camp for deer. Even the decades old nails in the trees used to hang lanterns and such - gone. Used to be a nice cool spot out of the sun and wind. The old camp spots for tents - all deep ash and now covered in tall fire weeds.
11111380590961_10161953309176554_7916825487024124934_n.jpg

11111380611252_10161953309091554_2219718204100969919_n.jpg

Pics of the happy hunter:

11111379296177_10161953320701554_7038086380663825521_n.jpg
11111380648263_10161953373691554_8064283978866464458_n.jpg

FYI - a hoodie around the waist makes a great improvised game bag ;)

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If your reports are useless, I fear mine are terribly useless :)
Good job on some birds. Hoping to do my first upland hunt early October. Excited

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
Great pictures and story! Thanks for taking us along!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So tough to lose favorite spots. Glad you had a plan B! Enjoy it man, it goes way too fast.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
What a great report, loved it! My father was severely disabled WWII veteran so we only hunted doves a few times, no walking required. He told me many stories of his life hunting and fishing the wilds of New Mexico. I’m so glad you and your daughter have this connection, Thanks for sharing it!

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
Earlier this summer we noticed that they closed the forest service road to our favorite camp spot and grouse hunting area due to washouts. So one of my daughters and I backpacked the 2.5 miles up the steep road in the 85 degree heat only to find our favorite campsite completely burned out. The big fir and pine trees we set up our tents under for shade and rain cover - just burnt matchsticks from last years big fire. Almost a decade of memories there. One of our primary "deer camp" locations.

The entire landscape had changed. But despite the fire being only a year ago, the greenery was quickly filling in and wildlife was abundant. Bugs, amphibians, reptiles, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, deer - moving right back in. We jumped a few deer from their beds, saw tons of tracks and sign. Even some fresh bear and cougar scat.

The fish population took a big hit. I did manage to catch and release a small but healthy / well fed brook trout, so I think another year or 2 and it will bounce back. In the past, I could bushwhack into a few spots of the overgrown creek and dap up several brookies and cutties consistently. On the plus side, the majority of the downed logs and piles and piles of dead trees and branches littering the entire valley (aka fuel) have been cleared out making moving around off the road and trails and following the creek much easier.

But we came for the grouse this time. No sign of them. We figured as dumb and slow as they are, any in the area would have died. They can't fly fast or far, and seek shelter as well as roost in the thick brushy branches of mature pine and fir trees. Exactly the spots hit hardest by the fires.

So after a little scouting, we came up with a plan B for finding grouse. We packed up the next morning and set out for another area about 20 miles away where I found grouse while deer hunting in the years before.

My daughter was discouraged and I could tell was leaning toward just heading home. Hiking around in the heat wasn't much fun. No tree cover made it worse. And no grouse - well, it was a downer for sure. But I always have a backup plan or 2 up my sleeve...

We drove to my spot and I hyped it up. I was 90% sure we'd at least see some. Getting the shot was a another thing.

After 5 minutes on the overgrown road/trail, we startled a grouse and it took off. No shot for me and my shotgun, but I tracked it to the tree it landed on and we started to move in. But as we walked, we heard rustling in the original tree on the ground. Sure enough, a grouse pops straight up and looks right at my daughter about 10 feet off the ground and 15 feet from her face. "Take your shot". Her old marline 22 bolt action cracks and mr. grouse hits the deck with only a few flaps before expiring. Success! I was good at this point. But knew the better spot was up ahead. So we pushed on.

After 10 more minutes, we were in the sweet spot I had been hyping up. Got to the far side and hit the jackpot. Several grouse start taking off in multiple directions. I miss a few miserably as they fly - not well versed in taking birds on the wing.... One just happens to land about 10 yards from me up in a tree with a perfect view - normally I'd let her have the shot, but she's still 20 yards away and tells me to take it. I take the shot with my 20 gauge and remove the birds head completely. It flaps around like the proverbial chicken with it's head cut off - and settles right at our feet just as she caught up with me as if I was delivered right to us.

We poked around a bit more, but decided we were ready for lunch and had enough fun for the day.

Pics from the burn area:

On the way up, before the burn zone - no idea what to expect, but hopeful....
View attachment 82763

In the heart of the burn. This was all green like the pic above until the fire....
View attachment 82764

View attachment 82765

View attachment 82766

View attachment 82767

Our old camp spot. No sign of the old camp. It had been used for decades by us and some old timers as a base camp for deer. Even the decades old nails in the trees used to hang lanterns and such - gone. Used to be a nice cool spot out of the sun and wind. The old camp spots for tents - all deep ash and now covered in tall fire weeds.
View attachment 82768

View attachment 82769

Pics of the happy hunter:

View attachment 82761
View attachment 82762

FYI - a hoodie around the waist makes a great improvised game bag ;)
So badass, man. Well done, dad!!!