Substitute for size 22 hackle

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Those will probably work! Ostrich gets pretty wet though.
When I've been out of decent hackle that size I just tie a sparse 18 or 20 and then literally clip the hackle short. Hasn't seemed to matter. When it's that small, you just need the right color, the right size and, most importantly, the right presentation. But as @mcswny said, any decent dry fly hackle (which you will want anyway) will have some that size. Good luck!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tied up some 22 midges using ostrich with a supporting layer of peacock. Think it will work?
I’d like to not have to by 22 hackle if possible.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark, I've got some very small grizzly if you'd like me to send you some

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Mark, I've got some very small grizzly if you'd like me to send you some
Likewise. Also have grizz dyed dun, blue dun, brown, ginger, ginger variant, cream, furnace and others. More than I will ever use as I really don't tie small dries any more. The key to efficiently produced quality dries, especially small ones, starts with the proper materials.

At that size, ostrich herl would be a good substitute and even drowned would still be effective. Skinny peacock herl from an eye could work too.

Kado

Steelhead
Tried them on a central OR river yesterday. They floated enough to fish with, but got no love, A hatch never really occurred and I didn't see anyone hooking up....although Santa was out wetting a line. He also seemed to have no !uck with the local fish. I think they were doing a YouTube video.
I think true tackle would've floated higher....not sure if better results though.
Thanks for ideas everyone. Hope you get a chance to get out.
Mark