Substitute for size 22 hackle

Kado

Steelhead
Tied up some 22 midges using ostrich with a supporting layer of peacock. Think it will work?
I’d like to not have to by 22 hackle if possible.
Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 24

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Alternate could be snowshoe hare in a dubbing loop? Or a small foam bubble like an emerger? Possibly cdc. If you dont want to buy hackle. I would think ostrich would absorb water fast and sink like marabou.

Kado

Steelhead
I was worried about the softness of it. Well…..until I can find a decent cape, I’ll give these a try this weekend. Does floatant help?
Alternate could be snowshoe hare in a dubbing loop? Or a small foam bubble like an emerger? Possibly cdc. If you dont want to buy hackle. I would think ostrich would absorb water fast and sink like marabou.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was worried about the softness of it. Well…..until I can find a decent cape, I’ll give these a try this weekend. Does floatant help?
Everyone is going to tell you to never by a dryfly cape sight unseen (or any natural materials for that matter). But for me, it’s my local shops almost never have whiting capes in stock (were anadromous country after all). If you order online, at least order from a site that shows you the exact cape or saddle your ordering.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Floatant wouldn't hurt. Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, here's kinda what I'm talking about with cdc or foam, except I would put some buggy dubbing around the base of the foam wing.
1000003572.jpg

1000003573.jpg

Lots of ways to float a tiny fly without tiny hackle.

*don't put floatant on cdc.

RCF

Life of the Party
At size 22, how much does a hackle really matter? I believe it is more about shape, color, proportions. Ostrich should be all you need IMHO.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
A fly that small does not have much weight, especially with a light wire hook. Therefore, it doesn't take much of an increase in surface area, which is what the cdc or snowshoe hair provide, to keep the fly floating. You can false cast or use fly drying powder once the fly gets dunked.
Steve

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
Everyone is going to tell you to never by a dryfly cape sight unseen (or any natural materials for that matter). But for me, it’s my local shops almost never have whiting capes in stock (were anadromous country after all). If you order online, at least order from a site that shows you the exact cape or saddle your ordering.
I have a few shops that will order a couple and let me choose if they don't have it in stock.. only works if you're not in a hurry though. Some materials you do want to pick in person.. I would argue that most you do unless it a synthetic material..

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
What color you need? I am quite certain I have some that I will never use. And no ostrich is not a suitable sub for a dry.

Kado

Steelhead
Thanks for input everyone. I have no choice but to try these as a buddy and I will try and hit a couple streams around Bend this weekend. Ill let you know how it goes.

The quality of the capes and saddles these days is outstanding. Whiting has good descriptions on the sizes of hackle that are available on the different grades. I have no problem buying them online anymore.