Stuff in the Sky

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Full lunar eclipse Tuesday AM. Provided clear skies (forecast looks good) I will get the start of it here, and a bit of totality, but then likely too low for the whole thing - Pacific Time should be ideal (have I mentioned I hate Eastern Time, always have, even growing up with it - I'm gonna start a petition).

Clear skies and Cheers
The odds of winning the 2 Billion $ lottery are better for me than to see a lunar eclipse in November on this miserable rainy coast.

Hope you guys get some good viewing in

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The odds of winning the 2 Billion $ lottery are better for me than to see a lunar eclipse in November on this miserable rainy coast.

Hope you guys get some good viewing in
We got a 50/50 shot at clear skies. I'm usually up by 2:00 so I'm going to to be looking.
1667867783648.png

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Struck out here. Now it will be likely be clear skies at night for a week!😖

Only have to wait 3 more years for the next at bat. Looking forward to seeing photos from everyone.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Missed it here. Was driving to work when it happened. Did notice a big bright full moon as I got in the car, tho. Always like that.. Usually can't see anything due to cloud cover or urban light pollution

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Cue cheesy music...

... And now, it's time for everyone's favorite gameshow, Name That Nebula!!! (wild cheers from the studio audience).

In a low authoritative voice: "This emission nebula, discovered by William Herschel on 3 November 1787, is found in the constellation Cassiopeia. The nebula's gorgeous fiery red color is driven by the radiation emanating Melotte 15, the loose open cluster of stars that lies at the center of this nebula. Its close neighbor, with whom it is often paired, is whimsically called the soul nebula. Name that Nebula"

Heart nebula-PS-vibrance copy.jpg

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Heart nebula?

Ding ding ding (wild and passionate applause from the studio audience) - Yes, indeed, it is the Heart Nebula (IC 1805). As our winner, Mr. Melton receives an assortment of "ada boys" and "well done's" and Jim F, you do not go home empty handed, you will receive some wonderful parting gifts (a thanks for participating).

And that wraps up this edition of... "Name That Nebula!!!" Until next time, clear skies.

Cheers

Last edited:

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Ding ding ding (wild and passionate applause from the studio audience) - Yes, indeed, it is the Heart Nebula (IC 1805). As our winner, Mr. Melton receives an assortment of "ada boys" and "well done's" and Jim F, you do not go home empty handed, you will receive some wonderful parting gifts (a thanks for participating).

And that wraps up this edition of... "Name That Nebula!!!" Until next time, clear skies.

Cheers
Hmmm, this game seems very nebulous.

Tip your waitresses, I'm here all week. ;)

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Mark your calendars, Comet C/2022 E3 will likely be visible to the naked eye in late January first half of February, and on February 10 and 11, will be right next to Mars - could be quite a sight.

Let's hope for clear skies!!

cheers

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Here's hoping!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
We had a bit of a cold snap, meaning clear and relatively dry skies. Took advantage to try and get a relatively faint, but interesting target. The Lion Nebula (SH 2-132; SH for "Sharpless") is a faint/weak emission nebula in the constellation Cepheus. It is thought to be approximately 1794 light years from our solar system. It's visual magnitude is unknown/unlisted. I really could use more integration time, so the next clear night?

If you look very closely (and and even better at the linked image), you can actually see 2 lions, the large full-sized nebula with blue body, red/pink head, and a small lion face/body in upper left of the head region.

The Lion Nebula (SH 2-132); 40 x 300s light exposures; 30 Darks; OIII/H-alpha duo-narrowband filter:

Lionshead-PS-2-cropped-vibrance-Stars-Del copy.jpg

Check out this image, something I aspire to:

Cheers

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
The Triangulum Galaxy (M33, NGC 598), oddly found in the constellation Triangulum, is a bright spiral galaxy, that under the most favorable dark skies is vaguely visible to the naked eye. Latest estimates have the Triangulum galaxy some 3.1 million light years away from us, making it the most distant bit of stuff visible without optical aid. It is the third-largest galaxy in the Local Group, after the Andromeda Galaxy (M 31) and our own Milky Way. The Triangulum was likely discovered by Giovanni Batista Hodierna before 1654, who may have grouped it together with the open cluster NGC 752. The galaxy was independently rediscovered by Charles Messier in 1764, who catalogued it as M 33.

The Triangulum Galaxy (M 33, NGC 598): 25 x 240s light exposures; 20 Darks; multispectrum broadband filter:

Triangulum-PS-vibrance-stars-del copy.jpg

The Triangulum also has a couple of interesting features; NGC 604 (upper right) is an HII-rich star-forming nebula (see https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/images/ngc-604.html for a Hubble image). HD 9483 (star in center left) is an 8th magnitude Double Star; it is not actually part of the Triangulum Galaxy, being at a mere distance of about 733 light years away.

Triangulum-PS-vibrance-stars-del-cropped copy.jpg

Cheers

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks, needed these after the underwhelming show the Leonids gave me. Rising at my normal 0330-0400 time and standing on the deck with coffee in hand in 37° air was not real uplifting. Everything was so clear tho it held my interest until daybreak after which I went looking for False Albacore who seemed to be aligned with the Leonids!?