Stuff in the Sky

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Love how the moons change position in orbit around Jupiter in one Earth day. A near moons eclipse tonight (two just left of the planet)?
View attachment 36223View attachment 36231

Io and Europa also passed behind Jupiter last evening, though it was just around sunset (my time) and just above the horizon, so couldn't view - representation from SkySafari Pro:

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.39.41 AM.png

For anyone who might be interested, there is a pretty good open-source (free) astronomy program for finding/mapping/tracking stuff in the sky, including satellites - it will also provide a pretty good representation of what you can image with various different camera lens/telescope focal lengths.

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Tonight (well, tomorrow) at about 3:00 AM my time (Midnight for those fortunate enough to be Pacific - did I mention I hate Eastern time), Ganymede will cross Saturn, though I can't tell from my program whether it is in front or behind - I guess I will have to try and look and see.

cheers

Last edited:

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
Ah, the envy, the envy!

I started browsing for equipment, and after an hour, decided that if I ever wanted to get into astrophotography the way I would like, I'd have to sell my right kidney and left lung, among other things, so the cellphone will have to do. Sigh.

In any case, here are 5 blobs in the sky, presumably Jupiter and 4 of its moons. Sigh.

AL9nZEU6jr3Otx_dUlqF784QLVzCCPIvxwaXmIusT8dh8hMG2i_LOvcDJkXbE_zNw7KA-HVIIwzpie1lWubLvl55PekcBcNprYTQzJp48g0nbszSo2GSCdaGrhRrPP7yGZYP1FtQI11GZhhRatRLP64NOZEv=w1612-h197-no

Kenneth

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Tonight (well, tomorrow) at about 3:00 AM my time (Midnight for those fortunate enough to be Pacific - did I mention I hate Eastern time), Ganymede will cross Saturn, though I can't tell from my program whether it is in front or behind - I guess I will have to try and look and see.

cheers
I'm trying to model this in my head. If everyting spins counterclockwise looking down from north, then a moon should pass in front from left to right, and behind from right to left? Ah, makes my head hurt this early. I'll enjoy the pics a little, since it's time to go teach fractions anyway.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Ah, the envy, the envy!

I started browsing for equipment, and after an hour, decided that if I ever wanted to get into astrophotography the way I would like, I'd have to sell my right kidney and left lung, among other things, so the cellphone will have to do. Sigh.

In any case, here are 5 blobs in the sky, presumably Jupiter and 4 of its moons. Sigh.

AL9nZEU6jr3Otx_dUlqF784QLVzCCPIvxwaXmIusT8dh8hMG2i_LOvcDJkXbE_zNw7KA-HVIIwzpie1lWubLvl55PekcBcNprYTQzJp48g0nbszSo2GSCdaGrhRrPP7yGZYP1FtQI11GZhhRatRLP64NOZEv=w1612-h197-no

Kenneth

Indeed looks like Jupiter and moons - good capture.

It is amazing what you can capture with existing equipment that you might already have, ie, a decent long lens on a digital camera, and apparently with a cell phone - I bet if you pointed it in the right direction, you could possibly get some of the larger bright nebulae such as Orion, the problem would be holding the cellphone steady enough to take longer exposures.

But yeah, I've mentioned how this is a lot like fly fishing, always wanting another rod/telescope and can also be very specialized, ie, planetary/moon, solar system objects have different requirements than deep sky.

cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Well, we've been here before ( #6 ), but sometimes ya just have to revisit and do things better. I was "Not entirely happy" the first go around with the "Pacman" nebula (NGC 281). Just didn't think I was getting enough light. Thought the OIII: Halpha dual narrow pass filter might've been blocking too much light. At that time, I was using the Sony Alpha 77ii for grabbing images on the back of the Zenithstar 81, 5-minute exposures at ISO 3200. Since, then I upgraded to a dedicated, cooled ZWO ASI294 color camera; very sensitive and very low signal to noise ratio. Below is a stack of 65 x 4 minute exposures with the same filter, uncropped.

NGC 281 is an emission nebula in the Cassiopeiae constellation. Still not sure that I see "Pacman", but overall, much happier with this image.

Pacman Nebula-PS-2-vibrance-2 copy.jpg

Approximately 100% crop:

Pacman Nebula-PS-2-vibrance-2-cropped.jpg

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
New from the JWST - the Pillars of Creation, which are embedded within the Eagle Nebula (AKA Star Queen) - My take on the Eagle is in #77, with the Pillars visible in the middle/central region of the Nebula

Go to https://esawebb.org/images/weic2216c/ for more information

1666213395201.png

Cheers

Last edited:

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
I downloaded the full sized TIFF earlier, and have just spent the last 15 minutes or so having my mind blown by the total immensity and intensity of the image. Makes you want to scream at the whole wonder of it, know what I mean?

Kenneth

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
I downloaded the full sized TIFF earlier, and have just spent the last 15 minutes or so having my mind blown by the total immensity and intensity of the image. Makes you want to scream at the whole wonder of it, know what I mean?

Kenneth
Yup!!

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
Here's the thing, I was initially looking at the image on a 27" monitor, and it was simply incredible.

Then I thought to myself, and it's astonishing why these thoughts don't occur sooner, "Wonder what this'll look like on a 12' (diagonal) screen?"

Behold, and here's where the mind gets truly bent out of shape:
AL9nZEXc8_EndRpapDUf1OCBjLgKyrKE6GV216GGWg2aiDmXTpUbYHkJ9J6tNVX26dGix4h5cs4QG2MG0dUhaXctBYNxQHTn3c4Ojqm-3Gz_W32fkDSO6dH0CyEjOlIq9NaWdfelgFOR63UgtMn-wbBXMQF7=w1599-h809-no

I heartily recommend this exercise in humility to anyone who's got a projector at home.

Kenneth

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
I will really need to revisit this one with darker skies and longer imaging time; the Witch Head Nebula (IC 2118), is a very large but very faint reflection nebula in the constellation Eridanus, about 2.5 degrees east of Rigel, in Orion. The Witch is primarily a light bluish hue with relatively little other color, which I suppose is fitting. She is illuminated by Rigel. Her bluish hue is caused not only by Rigel's color, but also because dust grains in the nebula reflect blue light more efficiently than they do red.

The Witch Head Nebula (IC 2118): 15 x 300 second light exposures, 15 darks with multispectra filter. I also played with some defraction to get "spiky" stars (at least for the largest brightest ones), something you do not normally get with a refractor scope:

Witchhead Nebula-PS-Vibrance copy.jpg

Information via SkySafari 6 Pro.

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
IC 1396 is large beautiful region of nebulosity, lit up by an open-star cluster in the constellation Cepheus. At its heart is the triple Struve 2816 and just below is the Elephant Trunk, the dark dense vein with a bright, fiery rim (IC 1396A).

All things considered, I'm not terribly disappointed with the below. I would certainly like more data (exposures), at least twice as much, darker sky (waxing moon, 87.6% illuminated), and less humidity - lens flogged up with dew half way through (dew shield heater is on the way); but ya make do with the hand dealt ya.

IC 1396: 30 x 300 second light exposures, 30 darks, OIII/H-alpha duo-narrowband filter:

Elephant trunk-PS-Vibrance copy.jpg

Heavily cropped to highlight the Elephant Trunk:

Elephant trunk-PS-Vibrance-cropped.jpg

cheers

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great images. These have been morning highlights for a while.
Abnormal local weather lately with higher humidity than usual.
Be prepared for tripod anchors this coming week Monday night thru Thursday. Ocean’s going to get angry.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Full lunar eclipse Tuesday AM. Provided clear skies (forecast looks good) I will get the start of it here, and a bit of totality, but then likely too low for the whole thing - Pacific Time should be ideal (have I mentioned I hate Eastern Time, always have, even growing up with it - I'm gonna start a petition).

Clear skies and Cheers