Strange, Weird, Funny Border crossings

Too many to count.

Was it coming in from Cuba via Cancun in 1996 with a full plant press (I’m a botanist), which the agents insisted on pulling completely apart and asking me to tell them what each specimen was and why I had brought it with me from Cuba, or maybe the time I was leaving Bogota for Miami in 1975 after hitching around South America when someone came up behind me and gripped me firmly at the elbow while directing me into a little unmarked room where I was strip searched and my rucksack completely torn apart, because they thought I was an emerald smuggler?

Instead of those, how about the time I drove the AlCan to Alaska in 1978 with a couple other guys to climb Mt Hunter. We had all our gear and supplies for 6 weeks on the mountain crammed into an old ‘66 Ford van. We had crossed into Canada at a sleepy little crossing on the Idaho panhandle, where the Canadian agent didn’t even check IDs. We didn’t discover until a couple days later when we were stopped by the Mounties that one of my partners, Glenn, had left his wallet at home with all of his ID ( the Mounty just admonished him not to drive any more).

A few days later we had to cross the border back into Alaska. That’s when the $#!T hit the fan. We had found an expired union card with Glenn’s name on it on the floor under the seat and we were about able to BS through customs when they found a wallet under a bunch of junk at the bottom of the glove box. It belonged to someone from South Dakota who none of us knew. Glenn had found it when he was camping in the Needles the year before and meant to send it to the guy, but had forgotten about it.

I‘ll let your imagination take it from there. It should include several iterations of accusations of foul play and/or identity theft, multiple phone calls to try verify the existence of the wallet’s owner, and a stripping down and repacking of the van. Many hours later we were let go and on our way. Yes, we did succeed in climbing Mt. Hunter by the first direct ascent of the north ridge from the Tokasitna Glacier. 51 days on the mountain, including 19 days of continuous bad weather on the glacier after the climb before the plane could land to fly us out. But this thread isn’t about strange flight layovers, so I’ll leave that part out.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
@Richard Olmstead, that is seriously badass. My story is just dumb.

Back in 1975 I did the train tour of Europe with my college roommate Sam. We’re heading from Amsterdam to France to meet up with some friends, and of course had to bring some contraband with us. I’ve got a gram or two of something sticky wrapped in tinfoil that I oh-so-cleverly stash in the lavatory to retrieve once we’re safely across the border.

Except we get to the border, the train stops and the conductors say “Changez!” Oh crap; we have to get off this train and onto another one going into France. I hastily grab my precious little tidbit, stick it in a matchbox, and tuck it into my belt pouch carrying my passport, travelers checks, and other can’t lose items. We grab our backpacks, hop on the next train, and settle in the back row trying not to look suspicious or too nervous.

Of course we didn’t fool the Gendarmes who proceeded to split us up and meticulously go through our backpacks. All this time my Chit is still in the belt pouch. They were big, and intimidating, and we knew that the French authorities didn’t mess around. Eventually, with a distinct sense of disappointment at not finding anything, they grumpily stamped our passports and went on their way.

At the very next stop we got off the train and walked away from the station as quickly as we could, expecting at every moment to feel a heavy hand on our shoulder and one of those Gendarmes to arrest us. It took a good 15 minutes before we finally started to calm down and believe we’d really made it.

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
This was about 1980 or so. I bought a VW Westphalia camper from Riviera Motors in Portland and took delivery in Antwerp where I had friends. We were supposed to travel around together but when I arrived, they were initiating divorce proceedings. I decided to drive to Salzburg where I knew an exchange student friend from school. Crossing the border into Germany was nothing. I just showed my passport and stopped to exchange currency. I drove on the autobahn until I got tired of being passed by BMWs and Mercedes doing 120 plus mph and got onto two lane roads and went exploring for a couple of days. I was on a country two-lane road when I crossed into Austria. There was a German guard shack and 20 meters away an Austrian guard shack. The two German guards spoke very little English, I had some phrase books. They demanded to see all paperwork on the bus even though it had German tourist plates. Purchase papers, insurance papers, driving license / permit. I had everything. Then they wanted to see the original pink copy of the application for insurance that I had filled out back in Portland. That I did not have. I got a bit flustered but remembered that I had also brought a bunch of paperwork from the dealer, thankfully the pink copy was there. They took all the papers and disappeared into their guard shack for about 5 minutes. When they finally came out, they handed all the paperwork back and told me in broken English “You have a German plate, you must have a Duetsch sticker.” I followed them into the shack and bought the sticker, put it on the rear of the bus and they finally allowed me to proceed. I then drove to the Austrian guard shack. The Austrian guard looked at my passport, smiled knowingly, and waved me through. All this time there were no other cars that came through the crossing. The rest of border crossings were smooth sailing.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Like most, have my share of border stories near and far for sure. I traveled and worked support for a band who traveled with about 15 people total. Riding a tour bus across 20 or so countries through Europe was always interesting. Work visas were also in the equation in many situations. Since the traveling was during the night between shows, it was often crossing boarders at any late hour. Sometimes we were marched out of our sleep bunks in sweats and socks in countries like Slovenia or Austria for a shakedown in early am hours.
The worst issue on that side of the world was flying into a show in Israel and we would be stopped and separated multiple times at the airport then grilled about peoples names as they were pointed to from 20 yards away. Looking like a bunch of freaks didn't help any.

Worst shakedown in North America was returning to the US after a track meet in college from Vancouver. BC.
I was in a van that only had 5 of us and about 30 personal duffle bags and all the poles for vaulting, hammers, javelins, etc. It was already dark when we hit the border to drive all the way back to eastern WA.
For some stupid reason the hurdler dude driving the van decided to play funny man with a US customs guy who was not impressed. We got the feared total vehicle teardown. After about a two hour dumping of everything we then attempted to repack things that would not fit. Not even close. We ended up dumping contents of bags into any cubby hole things would fit ( roof rack was jammed with gear already). Pre-cell era. It was the most uncomfortable 8 hour drive after the boarder fiasco ever. Once back (after short sleep) we had to scatter the stuff and have people fish their personal belongings out. Ugh.

Had some interesting late night fishing trip returns to the US via Montana/Canada borders as well. My luck has been consistently crappy there as well. Always coming back is the issue.

In Nepal security met our plane with swords so that was pretty unnerving, but totally normal I learned.

Last edited:

EB590

Steelhead
Went to a friends wedding in Whistler. Handed over my passport to the border agent. "Sir please pull over there and go inside". Wife (girlfriend at the time) looking at me with raised eyebrows. Pretty sure I knew what it was about. Walked up to the counter, counter lady was very unfriendly. "Sir I see you have a DUI on your record". Sheepishly I reply "yeah but it was from 5 years ago". Counter lady says something about Canadian law, blah, blah, blah. I explain to her multiple times that I'm a groomsman in the wedding. She relents, but points to the counter behind me. I walk up to the next unfriendly counter lady, "That'll be $250". The ultimate Canadian shakedown. I hand over my credit card and then proceed to Whistler. Wife (girlfriend at the time) is not happy with me.
That's actually not bad... I couldn't go for 10 years after mine, but sometimes if I attempted to cross they let me - this was before you needed a passport to cross the border so things might be different now.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Went to a friends wedding in Whistler. Handed over my passport to the border agent. "Sir please pull over there and go inside". Wife (girlfriend at the time) looking at me with raised eyebrows. Pretty sure I knew what it was about. Walked up to the counter, counter lady was very unfriendly. "Sir I see you have a DUI on your record". Sheepishly I reply "yeah but it was from 5 years ago". Counter lady says something about Canadian law, blah, blah, blah. I explain to her multiple times that I'm a groomsman in the wedding. She relents, but points to the counter behind me. I walk up to the next unfriendly counter lady, "That'll be $250". The ultimate Canadian shakedown. I hand over my credit card and then proceed to Whistler. Wife (girlfriend at the time) is not happy with me.
It's called a Minister's Pass. It happened to me on my first crossing back in the early 90s. At least the $250 was in Canadian dollars.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in the mid 80's my wife and I were driving into the USA at the border crossing in Sault Ste Marie, upper Michigan. Our old Datsun has a little plastic digital clock was glued onto our dash. The clock had two pinholes in its housing used to change the time...just shove the end of a paper clip into the pinhole, press firmly, and the hour or minute would advance. So......we always kept a large paper clip with one end pulled out in the car's empty ash try (we are non-smokers so it was available). The US Border Agent at the crossing asked us to open the ash tray so they could look inside, and proceeded to be very interested in that large, partially extended paper clip. We became very flustered but excitedly demonstrated how we used the clip to change the clock time...not to hold a doobie...the agent's face turned from stern to quizzical, and then they let us through. A good laugh ensued!

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had a business trip in Tiverton, Ontario, along the Lake Superior shoreline. I flew into Detroit, and drove over the border at Sarnia. I had an official invitation from my company's Canada office so I wasn't worried, but this is what happened when I went to Canada customs.
I had to get out of the car and go to the office. I was 3rd in line.
The first guy was asked why he was crossing and gave a very sketch and vague story that he was going to meet a buddy in Sarnia. Where? He didn't know. What's the buddy's name? He couldn't remember the last name. Finally he admitted that he was crossing to go to the many strip clubs there. He was summarily refused entry.
The second guy said he had a van and trailer of goods full, and that he was moving in with his girlfriend in Canada. Does he have a residence visa, or applied for one? Nope. So he was also refused. The customs official gave him a long lecture about how you can't just decide to move to Canada without permission.
I was scared to death when I got to the front, but she took about half a look at the letter of invitation and waved me through.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Years ago, I rode my Harley to Vancouver, BC from the US.
As a cigar aficionado I enjoyed the "no Cuban embargo" on the Cuban cigars.
On my return trip through Customs, I had 4 Cuban cigars in my bag.
I did think about not saying anything about them but thought twice about taking the chance and told the border agent I had them in my possession.
The older gentleman smiled and told me to "destroy them by fire" and waved me through.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Okay, I apologize in advance to WW for the blatant hijack, but it's related to Customs and Immigration, honest!

I used to live in Indonesia. My wife was still in China with our 9-month old and flew directly to Bali, where we were to meet for vacation. I got there way early, as is my nature, and started chatting to the guard outside the baggage claim. I asked if I could go in to assist my wife, as she had a little one, a baby carriage, and luggage. He sadly shook his head. I understood, because it was an int'l flight. We sat there chatting in my pidgin Bahasa Indonesia, and he said to me, "Those are great sunglasses!" I smiled, took them off my head, and handed them to him, saying, "Here, try them on." "They look great on you, please keep them."

He waved me through customs and to the baggage claim. That's how it works, most places.
crazy how much Bali has changed...hadn't been back there since 80's surf trips (Java/G-Land)...met up with my son in 2006 (on a two year walk about with his gal after graduating college), plan was to hang/surf Bali and wait for a swell and then ferry over to G-land...what a swirl, Kuta beach surf schools clogging the beach with Russians in white UV outfits practicing their jump-ups, Uluwatu/Temples lineup a packed zoo, reports of a clogged G-land lineup...so changed gears and scored a quiet rental by uncrowded fun waves, good eats, cold beer...later flew home while son headed back to the Malaysia dive resort where he/gal were working on their Divemaster certification.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I've had dual Canadian/US citizenship since I was 10 years old. On a flight into Edmonton I went through Canadian customs in the Non-Canadian Citizen line. It came up, and he told me that I can go through the Canadian citizen line in the future. I don't even have a Canadian passport, only an ID card with a picture of my 10 year old self on it. I have never tried it but I feel like that is just asking for a major shake down. I had a buddy in Bham whose wife had dual citizenship and they had more problems getting across the border into Canada when it was brought up rather than just handing over a US Passport. I've always just done the same. Anyone with dual citizenship have any experiences with crossing the border and if its made it easier or worse?

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Once we took our lab Sally up to Canada under blankets in the back seat with the kids. She was a great dog, not a peep or even a wag. No fuss.

I crossed many times to do gigs in Canada during the 70's. The first one was the only exciting one. I was is Edgar, my '64 Dodge truck heading to the American border after a week in Kelowna at Mabel Murphy's. We had packed up and left at 2 am so we arrived at the Osoyoos border crossing at sunup. When we came over the hill and saw the crossing we were smoking our last joint. Windows went down and pot went out the window. The US crossing guard had a flattop with fenders and got us right out of the cab for a search. He found a couple of seeds on the floor and then told us that "if we didn't have drugs he would walk across that lake and there was only one man that could ever do that". In retrospect he let us go very easily. I'm Could have searched our persons and all the gear in the back of the truck.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I apologize for the long story but we had two interesting border crossings on a trip through Europe.

May 1973; a loooong time before 9/11. I had grown up in SEA and was in the USAF. I had flown commercial before and airport security was not a big deal. I do not even recall if carry-ons were screened-checked back then. McChordl was my first PCS and I took 30 days leave and flew on a “Travel Club” charter out of Vancouver B.C. RT to Germany for only $325 with a civilian HS friend to visit my brothers who were both stationed there in the US Army. We got a ride to the airport from a friend and encountered no issues on the way into Canada.

As we were about to touch down at Frankfurt Rhein-Main I could see a lot of various armored vehicles and German Army personnel lined up along the runway we were about to land on as far as I could see ahead looking sort of like this:
1705697914821.png
It made me wonder, what is going on here??! o_O

When we walked out of the jetway into the terminal there were soldiers with submachine guns in the "safe hang" position about every 100 feet as we walked towards baggage claim o_O. There was a USO desk in baggage claim and I walked up and asked one of the US soldiers at the desk “What is going on here??!
He told me “The Red Army Faction;” aka “Badder-Meinhoff Gang” had been engaging in “a series of bombings, assassinations, kidnappings, bank robberies, and shoot-outs with police” during the past 3 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction

We met my younger brother in Frankfurt and together took the train to surprise my older brother and his family at USAG Ansbach (Bavaria) for 3 days; he lived above a German bakery in town 😋 . Then for the next 21 days my friend and I proceeded on a sightseeing trip riding trains and hitchhiking through Austria, Switzerland, then back through Germany, through The Netherlands, and finally back to Frankfurt Rhein-Main. We had decided it was best to be on a train instead of hitchhiking when crossing the international borders and all were routine passport checks-stamps.

On the way back to the airport to fly out we stopped at a store where I stuffed my carry-on with bottled beer individually wrapped in newspaper because “real” German beer wasn't available in the US. When we got to airport security the agent opened my rather heavy carry-on and saw all the “items” wrapped in newspaper 🤔 . He took out the first bottle, unwrapped it and set it on the table. Repeat 2X more. Then he looked around in the bag and not seeing anything that looked different, he looked up at me with a quizzical look on his face and said, “Alles beir???” I replied “Ya!” 😃 He rolled his eyes :rolleyes: (thinking "dumb Amerikaner" ?), pushed my bag ahead and told me to go on through. We flew back to Vancouver and met our friend again for a ride home. No problems with Canadian Customs or reentering the US.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
As a surfer with a coupla dozen baja and mainland surf trips from 60's on, been through a bunch of both border and on the road searches.
Just out of the service in 72', four of us decided on a fall Baja run...ended up being pulled over at the #1 checkpoint south of Ensenada on our way to the 'Seven Sisters' ..emptied everything from our van onto the side of the road, board bags off the roof, everything searched...find nothing, sent us on our way.
Following night, with camp set-up at the 'Wall', one of the four in our crew wanderers off, and we soon start smelling pot...wtf, we had an agreement none of us would bring weed across the border...turned the screws when he came back to camp with glassy eyes, turned out he'd rolled a half dozen joints in dark brown papers and buried them in the bottom of a large can of cocoa mix, planning on hitting a few puffs every night...obviously without sharing...so we had no choice but to serve up immediate justice, which consisted of smoking up his entire stash that night.
The next fall we made the same trip...or rather three of us did

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Used to go Vancouver in the late 70's...more than once told the customs guy when he asked why we were going to Canada 'Strippers and beer'...
Never had a problem.
🤣
I think that if the kid had been forthright from the start he would have been allowed to pass through with no problem. It was the fact that initially, he lied about it.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've had dual Canadian/US citizenship since I was 10 years old. On a flight into Edmonton I went through Canadian customs in the Non-Canadian Citizen line. It came up, and he told me that I can go through the Canadian citizen line in the future. I don't even have a Canadian passport, only an ID card with a picture of my 10 year old self on it. I have never tried it but I feel like that is just asking for a major shake down. I had a buddy in Bham whose wife had dual citizenship and they had more problems getting across the border into Canada when it was brought up rather than just handing over a US Passport. I've always just done the same. Anyone with dual citizenship have any experiences with crossing the border and if its made it easier or worse?
I was born in Mexico to an American mother and a British (English/Irish) father who was, at time of my birth, British Consul to Northern Mexico. Consequently was registered with each embassy with passports as well as holding a Mexican passport which made re-entry into Mexico easier after annual trips to the States.
Forward 17 years to summer of ‘71, high school graduation and a trip with 2 friends from Portland to sunny Orange County, California where one friend’s older brother lived, close to the beach. The brother had a large house and he or a friend managed a nightclub and somebody was in the weed business, lots of parties, pretty girls and drinking. Got bored one afternoon and decided to go to Tijuana, as we left one of my buddies had scored some Orange Sunshine; why not, sounded like a good idea at the time.
The Orange Sunshine was just starting to take effect as we pulled up to checkpoint at border to enter TJ; an American border agent looked us over and asked our purpose of trip and ages: Driver was 18, OK; other passenger and I were both 17; “Sorry boys, as minors you can’t enter Mexico without a parent or legal guardian”.
Wait, what! I got mouthy and told him I was Mexican and he couldn’t stop me from going; bad idea!
“Out of the car, son; follow me.”
Walked me into a building and sat me down at a desk about 10 feet from a holding cell full of Mexican nationals who started yelling to put the “Rubio pollo” (blonde chicken) in with them.
That sobered me up pretty good and after twenty minutes of questioning and explanation, showing my Oregon driver’s license and Social Security card as proof of residency if not citizenship, I was allowed to leave and we had to turn around, no donkey show for us.
To answer the OPs question, the multi-citizenship helped me out of a jam my mouth had got me into. Still laugh about it when the three of us see each other about every decade.

Ok, here's part II of our AlCan adventures-in-border-crossing in 1978.

If you read my post above, you may have figured out that we were now in Alaska and would have to return to the continental US via Canada. We really didn't have any option; we were dirtbag climbers who had pooled our last dollars for this expedition and this was at a time before banks gave out credit cards like penny candy. Having Glenn fly back was not an option. Glenn's old Ford van we were traveling in was registered in Wyoming, which at the time was the only state in the US that didn't require auto insurance and, of course, it was uninsured. How we didn't know that car insurance was required in Canada, I'm not sure, but the same crossing guard at the border in BC, when we entered Canada previously, who didn't check ID also hadn't asked about insurance.

We had gotten off the mountain the day before, packed the van, and started driving. We were all climbing guides in the Tetons and were going to be 3 weeks late getting back for the guiding season, leaving the guide service both anxious about our safety (we had no way to communicate that we were delayed getting off the mountain) and short handed. So, we arrive at the Canadian border crossing late in the evening. We were able to talk our way through with Glenn's old union card for ID, but then they asked to see our car insurance. I did my best to explain that, knowing we would need it in Canada, we had purchased insurance just before leaving Wyoming, but the paperwork hadn't come through before we left. I had the insurance agent's name and phone number for my car on a card in my wallet and bluffed that I was sure that a quick call would confirm that everything was in order. We had no doubt that the agent could see right through the bluff when he jotted down the name and phone number and said that, since it was too late to call then, he would make a call first thing in the morning and if he found that we were lying, he would contact the Mounties in Haines Junction and have them stop us when we passed there the next day and impound our car. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure that was a counter-bluff, but we put the pedal to the metal and drove straight through the night to get past Haines Jct. before dawn. We drove the rest of the way home with our eyes on the rear view mirror half expecting a Mountie to pull us over.