Stolen Gear Alert

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
So did you have to put a dollar in the swear jar everytime you picked your kids up from school and they saw your car?
Lol.You know, they never mentioned that.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
My god. This is what I’ve been waiting for. I’m so sorry this has been such a nightmare.
Ah, it's not been that bad. There's only one jerkoff in the story, and lots of good folks doing their best.

Being without the rods and reels sucked, but it's been interesting, illuminating, and I ended up getting a better insurance company. It also emphasized how cool most people are. The calling around was the worst(?) part of it, but most of that was done when I'd normally be in the car listening to podcasts. If I were a victim of a worse crime or more seriously impacted I might not have this same outlook, but at the end of the day it's just fishing equipment.

MT406

Steelhead
Hopefully the dirtbag gets some jail time. Unfortunately, there are too many dirtbags in this world. Just as many people stealing things as committing insurance fraud. Therefore, insurance companies require serial numbers and or proof of purchase. Anything of considerable worth, I document and submit to my insurance for coverage.

Air Tags are cheap insurance for lost or misplaced items, not the case for stolen items. If the thief has a smartphone (Android/Apple) they will be alerted via message that an Air Tag is moving with them. Defeats the whole purpose. I’ve yet to find a decent alternative.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hopefully the dirtbag gets some jail time. Unfortunately, there are too many dirtbags in this world. Just as many people stealing things as committing insurance fraud. Therefore, insurance companies require serial numbers and or proof of purchase. Anything of considerable worth, I document and submit to my insurance for coverage.

Air Tags are cheap insurance for lost or misplaced items, not the case for stolen items. If the thief has a smartphone (Android/Apple) they will be alerted via message that an Air Tag is moving with them. Defeats the whole purpose. I’ve yet to find a decent alternative.
Good point about the thief being alerted. I never thought about that.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No good deed goes unpunished.

Divad

Whitefish
On the AirTag a reminder to disable the speaker on those you intend to do this with. It’s a rather intrusive worthwhile process, thieves can scan for an AirTag and receive an audible feedback. This hack prevents that possibility.

Hoping you get it all back soon in Oly Jake. I hate thieves.

Thank you for the followup.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Painful process from beginning to end. Glad there was some resolution to it tho the time involved must have been a downer. Here’s hoping for a better ‘24.
Too bad the dirtbag who stole your equipment couldn’t have his hands introduced to a commercial garbage disposal for 3 minutes each.
People: Meth makes you stupid….who the F steals from someone 6’7” x 290 indicated by a 4XL/Lge jacket?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

So Apple alerts the thief? Figures. As if I couldn't hate apple as a product and company any more.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
So Apple alerts the thief? Figures. As if I couldn't hate apple as a product and company any more.
I put one in the car today and used the kid’s emergency phone to test. Though I can see it on the map on my phone when I look for it, I don’t get notified on the kid phone it’s there.

Apparently, it would only alert them if I marked the item as lost and they were close to it. So I guess leave it in passive mode if it’s stolen?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Update: My rods and reels(?) have been located, and I hope to be in possession of them soon. See my post at the end of this thread.
I'm so glad! you were able to recover your stolen stuff, and sorry to hear that you had to go through that ordeal!
Theft is something that gives many of us concern while out pursuing our fishing passion. We assess what the risk means to us, and may take steps that can limit us or at least pose some inconvenience to avoid.

Honestly, when I read the update I wondered does all this affect what you had posted as your Literally Every Day Carry going forward?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm so glad! you were able to recover your stolen stuff, and sorry to hear that you had to go through that ordeal!
Theft is something that gives many of us concern while out pursuing our fishing passion. We assess what the risk means to us, and may take steps that can limit us or at least pose some inconvenience to avoid.

Honestly, when I read the update I wondered does all this affect what you had posted as your Literally Every Day Carry going forward?
I changed insurance companies, made sure my policy covers everything, listed everything with them, and went back to it.

Usually I've got my important/expensive gear with me when I'm fishing, or hidden in locked storage in the car. I figure I have had my vehicles similarly equipped for 20 years and, minus some time spent overseas, which is several thousand days of fishing and/or being ready to fish, and one night where I wasn't. This morning I woke up and was fishing on a beach ~20 minutes later--and I live 15 minutes from that beach. I’m not gonna let one asshole in 40 years of fishing ruin my flow.

Edit: Considering breakages, I’m actually a bigger threat to my ability to go fishing than a thief. Sent three rods in for repairs in August.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I changed insurance companies, made sure my policy covers everything, listed everything with them, and went back to it.
One more question... Do you mind sharing your new insurance company? Do you find that the coverage is better than your previous company, and has less onerous requirements to cover a loss?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
One more question... Do you mind sharing your new insurance company? Do you find that the coverage is better than your previous company, and has less onerous requirements to cover a loss?
I don't want to give any of these predatory companies free advertising, but I went with an agriculturally-named one as they had a lot of flexibility in their offerings and I'd heard a lot of good things about them from friends. They're a bit more than the last company, but it's a premium I'm happy to pay.

Had a dealing with them recently when I was rear-ended. A few years back Totally Not Horace Mann refused to pay for medical treatment by my doctor until I'd been checked by their own flunkie. This despite my being rear-ended, a police report finding the other driver at fault, and the fact that the other driver's insurance was ultimately paying for everything. Was rear-ended recently (get off your phones, people!) while covered by agriculturally-named insurance company. They happily paid for everything until the other company paid up and my point of contact with them even suggested other things to me that I could do. They're still charging me a heck of a lot more per quarter than I'll ever see as benefit from them, but that's the nature of the game.

Last edited:

MT406

Steelhead
Happens every time I take my wife’s rig since she has an Apple Tag on her key chain. The audible hack might buy you a little bit of time before they find it, or get annoyed/paranoid enough to toss what ever they stole out the window.

IMG_7620.jpeg

Last edited: