Spring like razor clams!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I only recently got into razors the last couple years and seriously regret not doing it sooner. A ton of fun to dig em. Cleaning is a bit of a hassle but those things are soooooo damn good it's totally worth it.

After using several cheap ones I sprung for a top end clam gun and it made life so much easier. People that are experienced with the old school shovels though are a pleasure to watch and man they can load up on clams quickly

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Is this guy using salt? Is this a thing?

I have no idea what creature this headless person is salting out of the beach sand but I can't imagine what he's doing would be considered legal or ethical on this state's tidelands. Unless razor clams shed their shells I dont think we're looking at razors or it's another member of the family unbeknownst to me.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I only recently got into razors the last couple years and seriously regret not doing it sooner. A ton of fun to dig em. Cleaning is a bit of a hassle but those things are soooooo damn good it's totally worth it.

After using several cheap ones I sprung for a top end clam gun and it made life so much easier. People that are experienced with the old school shovels though are a pleasure to watch and man they can load up on clams quickly
I watched my cousin on Long Beach Peninsula dig two clams in 14 seconds with his shovel. He grew up there. I was a lot slower! This was in early January and we were on the beach with 50+ mph wind. They are tasty. I ate the last of mine earlier this week.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I have no idea what creature this headless person is salting out of the beach sand but I can't imagine what he's doing would be considered legal or ethical on this state's tidelands. Unless razor clams shed their shells I dont think we're looking at razors or it's another member of the family unbeknownst to me.
I’m thinking these are the east coast razor clam. Totally different deal.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Whoa! I did not know that. Paging @Cabezon
I don't know that much about razor clams, even in WA. It took some internet digging, but there are records (see here, table 1) of the similar jackknife clam (Ensis lees or E. americanus (invalid name) in Washington where it must be invasive. The jackknife clam has become an invasive pest in Europe. In some states, like Massachusetts, it is legal to use a salt solution to drive the clams to the surface (see here) for harvest. I do remember from growing up in the Boston area that we were warned about handling these because the sharp edges of the shell could cut a hand or fingers run along the edge of the shell.
Steve

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
“we were warned about handling these because the sharp edges of the shell could cut a hand or fingers run along the edge of the shell.”

Hence the name jackknife and razor.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I don't know that much about razor clams, even in WA. It took some internet digging, but there are records (see here, table 1) of the similar jackknife clam (Ensis lees or E. americanus (invalid name) in Washington where it must be invasive. The jackknife clam has become an invasive pest in Europe. In some states, like Massachusetts, it is legal to use a salt solution to drive the clams to the surface (see here) for harvest. I do remember from growing up in the Boston area that we were warned about handling these because the sharp edges of the shell could cut a hand or fingers run along the edge of the shell.
Steve

Steve,
Good info. If invasive, I wonder how long they’ve been in our area. I found this reference about coastal tribes in BC harvesting them.
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Steve,
Good info. If invasive, I wonder how long they’ve been in our area. I found this reference about coastal tribes in BC harvesting them.
SF

Hmmmm, I wonder about the thoroughness / accuracy of that link as there is NO mention of razor clams and I know that coastal tribes harvested razor clams as the shells have been found in clam middens (garbage heaps). One wonders if the authors are lumping both razor clams and jackknife clams together.
Steve

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Hmmmm, I wonder about the thoroughness / accuracy of that link as there is NO mention of razor clams and I know that coastal tribes harvested razor clams as the shells have been found in clam middens (garbage heaps). One wonders if the authors are lumping both razor clams and jackknife clams together.
Steve

Could be!
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I found these fossilized clams earlier this year. They resemble small razor type clams. I wonder if they are an extinct species? I’ll have to do some internet digging.

View attachment 101912

Those are really cool. Could they also possibly be mussels?
SF

Smokey Bear

Forum Supporter
SF
I found these fossilized clams earlier this year. They resemble small razor type clams. I wonder if they are an extinct species? I’ll have to do some internet digging.

View attachment 101912
Those look like freshwater mussels. Very cool find! And nice digging pun! Where did you find them? No specifics, just curious if near the salt or inland?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
SF
Those look like freshwater mussels. Very cool find! And nice digging pun! Where did you find them? No specifics, just curious if near the salt or inland?
Hmm, after looking at some freshwater mussels you both might be onto something. They were found near saltwater.

Smokey Bear

Forum Supporter
Hmm, after looking at some freshwater mussels you both might be onto something. They were found near saltwater.
We have some property on the Little Klickitat river and it is loaded with them. Live one’s.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
They look too squared off to be any of the three species of freshwater mussels that we have around here in the PNW nowadays, and given they were found near salt, it seems more likely they’re a saltwater species. But I don’t know. I just happen to be pretty familiar with freshwater mussels of the PNW.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Have been cleaning out sheds and nooks and crannies on our farm and have come across all the goods (and junk) of what 100 years of accumulation creates. I need to gather the clam guns up and check the conditions of them.
As a small kid those clam trips were cold and wet. I lost my love of this gray ocean on those very trips. I have to tell myself that fleece and neck gaiters and windproof gloves have come along ways. I am fine being cold anywhere but the thought of going to the coast in Winter to dig clams throws me back into a polar expedition 80 below freezing shiverfest.
Razor clams were treasured fare along with little wild blackberries and honeycomb straight from the hive to my grandparents.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

View attachment 101912
The Willamette River has a freshwater looking version of the coastal razor clam; also mussels too. Illegal to harvest either…the tribes might be able to.