Spring like razor clams!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Kerri and I dug razor clams today.....sunny, no wind and limits in 25 minutes! Low minus tide at 4:29, we started digging around 3:40 and on the road at 4:15. Fished for surf perch for about 1/2 hour but the tide was going out too fast. Fresh razors for dinner tomorrow!! :D

Bring me half a dozen of those and I’ll park my truck fully in the woods the next time I fish that lake we frequent ;).

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
@Bambooflyguy

Sounds like fun.

I’ve never done it before…did you use a clam gun? Shovel? Hands?

Not looking to crowd you on the beach….just curious as to how it’s done

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Ha! Thanks… I was being uber lazy this morning and figured I’d just ask.

Doing a Google search can be pretty taxing on a Saturday morning 😴🤪

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
@Bambooflyguy

Sounds like fun.

I’ve never done it before…did you use a clam gun? Shovel? Hands?

Not looking to crowd you on the beach….just curious as to how it’s done
I’ve been digging razor clams with my family since the early sixties. I always use a clam shovel.....I dig down by the water where the clams are close to the surface. A couple of scoops then dig with my hand. Once you feel the clam, it’s a tug of war! These suckers fight back! Then you have the waves coming in and the sand and water filling the hole.....it’s a yummy, fun challenge. The best part is a bowl of butter in the microwave, dried dill and bbq lightly!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Razor clams are the best!

To answer MD's question about clam digging implements, it goes like this: the traditional clam shovel (they don't make those longer narrow curved blade style any longer) is properly referred to as a "clam gun." People call the long clam tubes a clam gun, but that is incorrect, because, well, they are clam tubes. Mrs. Salmo has an old family heirloom clam gun of the old style, and with that gun she is a clam digging machine.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Razor clams are the best!

To answer MD's question about clam digging implements, it goes like this: the traditional clam shovel (they don't make those longer narrow curved blade style any longer) is properly referred to as a "clam gun." People call the long clam tubes a clam gun, but that is incorrect, because, well, they are clam tubes. Mrs. Salmo has an old family heirloom clam gun of the old style, and with that gun she is a clam digging machine.
I have one that has seen better days (rusting at the handle junction) that my grandfather bought 40-50 years ago. Oh how that shovel, when gun, outperforms everything else on the beach. I would how much it would cost a fabricator to make a replica?

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
what are the clams like this time of year? I only find myself digging in the fall. do they get weird with the seasons changing like some other shellfish?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Always enjoyed digging them but haven't done so in years. We always used to dig near Iron Springs. I need to get back at it.
My mom made a mean razor clam fritter back in the day. Absolutely delicious.....
SF