Spey on The Beach

DKL

Steelhead
In addition to salad, you need more room around you. At some locations at certain times of the year, you won't be allowed the room; at least, not where you wanted to fish. You also need to be in the water, so you are standing where fish would be or are. I was guilty of showing up to a beach and immediately walking into the water to my knees when I first starting fishing beaches, bit it didn't take me long to realize I was penalizing myself. I think the biggest reason against using one for me is I can't respond to a fish that shows itself as quick as I can with a single hander.

c1eddy

Freshly Spawned
In the short time and few outings I've tried fishing a two-hander with sustained anchor casts, I always have a backup plan (from a different line to a complete setup) with me that I can overhead cast with. Crowded beaches, salad, surf can definitely put the kibosh on sustained anchor casting...but when it's possible I find it a fun way to fish and saves wear and tear on my elbow.
You also need to be in the water, so you are standing where fish would be or are. I was guilty of showing up to a beach and immediately walking into the water to my knees when I first starting fishing beaches, bit it didn't take me long to realize I was penalizing myself. I think the biggest reason against using one for me is I can't respond to a fish that shows itself as quick as I can with a single hander.
Have not seen flyfishers fishing coho that were not wading, so not sure how this would be considered a disadvantage. Agree that it would certainly put you at a disadvantage for responding quickly to a fish that has shown itself...though this (casting to a fish that has shown itself) has been a rarity for me in my limited experiences wading the beach. It may be that I need to find new beaches to fish?

DKL

Steelhead
Have not seen flyfishers fishing coho that were not wading, so not sure how this would be considered a disadvantage.
I agree, most wade, but it isn’t necessary. I have cast to and caught coho in less than a foot of water. I remember one in particular that broke the water right next to the person standing in the water, and they were just 2 feet from shore at the most. I quickly cast right to the person and hooked a nice coho. I think people naturally wade because they must get the fly as far out from shore as possible because the fish are way out there. Sure, they are often way out there, but they are in close too, and no matter how far out you cast you’ll always wish it was further. When wading, I also question if you are actually fishing any further out. You have now essentially reduced the length of your rod, your back cast is more at risk of hitting the beach behind you. I see that all the time. I do wade, but it is under specific circumstances. If there is salad or some physical obstruction I can avoid by doing so. One technique you can use if you want to wade and stay up high is to bring and stand on a milk crate or other item that keeps you elevated above the surface. Don’t get me wrong, wade if you want to, but it certainly isn’t necessary most of the time.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I would agree wading isn't necessary all the time, but its can be advantageous much of the time.

Totally beach dependant of course, as well as the ability of the caster, but coho are most likely to be caught in the rips where the bait is generally pushed, and on many beaches wading out to reach this water is often the way to go.

I've caught coho with dry feet, but I've caught WAY more coho waded out to maybe my knees or mid thigh. A lot of good coho beaches are flat for a decent ways out before dropping off. Since these drop offs, often focused around points, are what helps create the rips, getting out a bit often helps.

Of course there are many variables at play, and fish will come right up to the beach at times, but usually only if they have a reason to....I.E. food. I find with coho that the food isn't often tight to the shore, so I generally don't feel I'm missing much by wading out a bit.

Of course there is such a thing as wading too deep. Herring Dan was the king of this. Standing chest deep right smack in the rip was his signature move.

As with all of Puget Sound fishing there are very few black and white rules, so I'd always encourage anyone to do what works best for them. With the constant changing environment on the sound it's also important to be aware what's happening around you and adapt accordingly. It's part of what makes the fishing so enjoyable to me.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I totally agree with the above. A good rule of thumb is to wade out only as far as you need to, then stay put, trying not to tap dance around on the gravel, as coho quickly become aware of you and spook easily. I see far too many people plunging into the water, like a lab chasing a stick, and get one or two casts on top of the fish before they disappear. My best practise is to cast in front of the school, then let my fly swing into them, rather than casting on top and spooking them.