Snow Shred Season 23/24

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 6.56.55 AM.png

This legit makes me very sad/frustrated. Are the ski areas even going to be able to stay open if this keeps up? Is everything going to be on fire all summer? What a bad year for snow.

Reactions: JS

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While the skiing sucks with the fluctuating temperatures, most the snowpack in Oregon measured by SWE is good. Washington snowpack is similar to the levels in NE Oregon. Unfortunately I bought a season pass this year for skiing at an area in SE Washington. Hoping for a better second half of the ski season. I have seen many other years with a slow start have a strong finish. Since I started skiing at age 7, my observation record is long.

IMG_2949.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
While the skiing sucks with the fluctuating temperatures, most the snowpack in Oregon measured by SWE is good. Washington snowpack is similar to the levels in NE Oregon.
I guess my concern is that those snowpack levels aren't going to stay if we keep having stretches of 7000-8000 ft freezing levels and significant rain events.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm heading to Spokane/Spokane Valley next week for work and I'm bringing my fly rod because temps are supposed to be in the upper 40s and low 50s.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I really wished I could have gotten out yesterday or today.
Pontus said today was a lot better than yesterday. Today was super fun smooth cream cheese up high, a bouncy chunder midsection, and then saturated but smooth-ish lower. Yesterday was bouncy chunder everywhere.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We just got back from our family ski road trip in Utah, wyoming and Idaho. Hit some of the big resorts and had decent snow but my favorite day was hitting legendary Pomerelle!!!

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Snowing hard in interior Norcal. Mostly just snow blowing but a quick powsurf this afternoon behind the house. Too much snow for that even. Two sledders I talked with said the hill across the street has 7 feet on it and it is still dumping. No doubt some wind transfer. Pali valley had a 109 mph gust last night.