She asks why my room is messy? Consolidating residence.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Evan,

I love that shed!

I noticed something else, but can't see well enough. The overhang on the house is unpainted underneath. If the roof sheeting is plywood, that is probably OK. But if it is OSB, like your shed siding, it either needs to be painted or enclosed by a soffet. My neighbor had exposed unpainted OSB roof sheeting, and it began rotting and was part of the cause for an expensive roof repair job. Unpainted OSB is not rated to weather, even when it is on the underside. Just a heads up.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Evan,

I love that shed!

I noticed something else, but can't see well enough. The overhang on the house is unpainted underneath. If the roof sheeting is plywood, that is probably OK. But if it is OSB, like your shed siding, it either needs to be painted or enclosed by a soffet. My neighbor had exposed unpainted OSB roof sheeting, and it began rotting and was part of the cause for an expensive roof repair job. Unpainted OSB is not rated to weather, even when it is on the underside. Just a heads up.
Oh I know. It was just re-done and still needs paint. It's coming, but wasn't in a rush since it's plywood.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
one pile, two pile, pile 3 or 4...
That's the way to do it! I can identify with that. Much as I might like to have all my gear neatly and tidily organized, I finally realized that "free form" is more my style.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Making progress. That's half the collection. The rest will go on the other half of the loft, above where I'm standing in the photo. That's all my gear/trolling rods on that half. The fly rods will go on the other. But the fly rods are going to be a DIY holder solution, so taking a bit longer.

1671855042126.png

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Making progress. That's half the collection. The rest will go on the other half of the loft, above where I'm standing in the photo. That's all my gear/trolling rods on that half. The fly rods will go on the other. But the fly rods are going to be a DIY holder solution, so taking a bit longer.

View attachment 46361
That looks real nice!
It wouldn't work for me though. It's too much trouble to get a rod. In over 50 years of doing construction I've only been injured twice. Both times involved ladders. I keep my rods on the ground with me!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
That looks real nice!
It wouldn't work for me though. It's too much trouble to get a rod. In over 50 years of doing construction I've only been injured twice. Both times involved ladders. I keep my rods on the ground with me!
It's the only way to store the bulk of them. Plus added security in that they're very tough to get to if the thief doesn't bring a ladder 😂

I have short term storage in the house if I'm using a rod a lot. But there large collections that only come out one or two months of the year. So keeping them up and out of the way is ideal.

I'm surprised at all the rods outside of the tubes... but I guess that's because I have small kids.

I have a closet dedicated to "gear" that includes rods and reels which helps... but in all honesty, I don't think the SOs pay THAT much attention. As long as you have more than 3 or 4 and the collection only grows by a couple each year(if that) typically they won't notice or say anything.

Where you get into trouble is when they also fly fish and know what everything is... they're more likely to pay attention then.

I feel like I'm a small fry compared to some of you guys - I'm sitting at 10 total including the ones my wife uses... it'll probably grow another one or two by the end of this coming year as there are a couple rods I still want to add to my stable.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'm surprised at all the rods outside of the tubes... but I guess that's because I have small kids.

Tubes just take up space for me. I've never broken a rod because it wasn't in a tube... so mine usually end up in a trash pile at some point.

Tubes just take up space for me. I've never broken a rod because it wasn't in a tube... so mine usually end up in a trash pile at some point.
That makes sense. I think its me having small kids that makes me so cautious about it. Maybe in 10 years or so I'll feel differently :ROFLMAO:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a closet dedicated to "gear" that includes rods and reels which helps... but in all honesty, I don't think the SOs pay THAT much attention. As long as you have more than 3 or 4 and the collection only grows by a couple each year(if that) typically they won't notice or say anything
My wife recently saw my bag of reels and there was definitely a “WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANU REELS?” Question

I have a 4 year and I’m in the process of building out my basement. If mine weren’t in tubes I’d have a pile of very expensive tomato stakes.
Mine are 1.5(son) and 6(daughter). I trust my daughter enough that she probably wouldn't mess with them... but this is also the kid whose first words at 13 months were "what's that", didn't need the house childproofed, and potty trained herself at 2.5.

My son is the polar opposite, and would absolutely find his way to them and find a way to make my 4pc rods into 12pc rods(or worse).