Sage rods repair turnaround time

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just looking to hear from folks who have sent rods in recently for repair, like in the last year or so.
How long was the turnaround time to get your rod back?
Thanks for any input you can provide.
SF

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
THREAD DRIFT, sorry Brian. I’m beginning to think that the supply chain is not going to ever meet demand for some items (hybrid CRV). A new washer/dryer? And the labor shortage?

Rant over.

If people will not work how can the supply chain be repaired,?

Call outs for personal reasons. Quiet quitting and all that.. we have a low integrity workforce. Until that changes expect things to get worse not better.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
I've had 2 experiences recently with returning a rod for repair under "warranty". I have never broken a rod before (other than running over my Sage Foundation with my car...which I didn't claim under warranty).

Sage:
I have a Sonic 9'6" 6 wt. that I have used exclusively for beach salmon the last 3 years. Before Labor Day the tip snapped while casting just after landing my largest coho of the year in Area 9. I then drove over to Sage on Bainbridge. I couldn't get into the plant but called them on their repair line. Steve came out, looked at my rod, said that it was easier to repair since it wasn't the reel seat and said it would take 2-3 weeks to fix. Sure enough I received the repaired rod from Sage in less than 3 weeks. I thought that was impressive!

Lamiglas:
I bought an X11, LX9MS 7'9" gear rod in May to use for twitching jigs and swinging spoons/spiners for salmon this fall. I took it out to the OP on a recon trip in June when it was ok to fish in the rivers. I hooked and landed a small down river male steelhead. I set my rod down in the water on a gravel bar while I tailed the fish to unhook it. The steelhead took off as I tried to tail it and the rod tip broke in 3 sections. I've had a fish take off numerous times in similar situations but never had a fish break a rod. That was the 1st day I fished the rod and the 1st decent fish I landed on it. I reported it to Lamiglas along with photos of the broken tip. It was under a 1 year warranty and they said they would replace it (I just asked for a new tip). 3 months later, after multiple e-mails and several phone calls from me I received a new tip. As was explained to me by Lamigals the X11 is made overseas (in China) so they essentially have to wait for a shipment of rods to come in and then use one of them for the warranty replacement. Although not the service time I had hoped for, you get what you pay for... The X11 is their economy model and not near the price point as a Sage Sonic. We'll see how that rod holds up with salmon this fall...

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
I did not name a manufacturer in my post.

BS is bullshit coming from you.
Let me put it more eloquently, Sage is not the Sage that we knew, their product support has really gone down hill along with their “fees” going through the roof. How long can the excuse of supply chain issues be thrown around for? Labor supply… that’s a political issue. Winston has zero problems with turn around, sure they take a month, but they are very reasonable. Flip on the other side, TFO, has excellent support. I wasn’t calling BS for a pissing/political/personality tizzy, just there are better options out there than FBE.

Last edited:

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I broke my 12 wt Predator at the end of August and sent it in for repair. Just received it back yesterday. Not a bad turn around time for my experience. Luckily, I won't need the rod until next summer.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Quick update on my two repairs.
Sent the rod in and it was received by Far Bank on 8/14.
Got an email in 9/13 saying they had finished their assessment and asked for payment. The email stated due to high volumes, estimated repair would take 6-8 weeks after payment is received. Sent payment in a few days after receiving that email.
Received an email on 10/9 stating they are working towards assessing the issue to determine the correct next step. Must be a canned email as I thought the assessment was done a month ago based on the previous email and request for payment.
The email also stated that due to high volumes, they estimate their repair process to take 3-4 months after receipt of your product.

Received my new Loomis yesterday in a week after using their Expeditor service.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got an email in 9/13 saying they had finished their assessment and asked for payment. The email stated due to high volumes, estimated repair would take 6-8 weeks after payment is received. Sent payment in a few days after receiving that email.
Received an email on 10/9 stating they are working towards assessing the issue to determine the correct next step. Must be a canned email as I thought the assessment was done a month ago based on the previous email and request for payment.
The email also stated that due to high volumes, they estimate their repair process to take 3-4 months after receipt of your product.

SF

Sage like Rome has fallen. Is Birkenstock next ?

I love Birkenstock sandals. Foot just slide in and after time you have your personal foot floor plan image pad inside. But now I fear cost cutting and outsourced materials and perhaps assembly will taint this company that has been around for how many years? Why?

Begs same question of Sage
why?

$$$$$$$$$
And just a tad more $$$

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sent off a dart in late August, got it back in 4 weeks.

Sent off an igniter, same day, and haven’t gotten it back yet.

Must be a graphite/rolling parts difference.

Yesterday I sent in an Orvis Trident TL 14’ 9wt for repairs. It’s now a race between Sage and Orvis, and Sage has a 7 week head start.

Edit: Durn apostrophe’s’

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I never used it but didn't Loomis offer a one time deal with the top of the line models? You could walk in to a store with your broken rod and walk out with a new one.

Yes, I believe it was called a Wild Card or something like that. I think it was on NRX models and above.
Not sure if that is still an option.
SF

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
I have had nothing but good experiences with Sage. I recently broke a favorite vintage gear rod that is advertised as not being able to be fixed anymore. I drove to Bainbridge. Steve came out and spoke to me, then went and searched for a blank that is no longer produced. He found one and fixed my rod. You can't get any better than that. My past experiences are all the same. Regardless of their advertised differences in how they handle repairs. People taking advantage of lenient warranties are the problem. Same reason REI had to change their policies.

BigJohnJohn

Gone Fishing
Forum Supporter
I sent off my Sage X 6wt for repair after it broke in Alaska this summer. It was received by them on 8/24 and I just got notification this morning that the repair is complete and they are shipping it back. So, call it about 8 weeks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

SF
"Due to high volume...".

That alone should be the alarming part.

Hope you get yours back soon!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
People need to reset their expectations on TAT. Between fewer people employed, supply chain issues, and greater demand for repair services, a new norm is being established. Not sure that that is yet except it is longer than it used to be and not as quick as we want.

All the more reason to have at least one backup rod. If you are hard on your gear it is up to you to have sufficient backup rods to carry you through the season.
In July I sent a Hardy rod that needed a new tip to their shop in Florida. Had my rod back within two weeks. It cost me about $32 in shipping and another $75 to Hardy.

afried

Smolt
Broke the tip on a rod. Did the online repair/warranty form, got approval to send the rod in. Dropped it off in Bainbridge Monday afternoon, received a replacement rod by fed ex this afternoon (Thursday). About this time last year I had a problem with a Rio running line - replacement promptly sent once I sent proof of purchase and a photo of the issue.

I say thanks to Sage and Far Bank for outstanding service, and particularly the Sage repair department.

YMMV.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Just got my rod back.10 weeks from ship to return plus the two days FedEx spent finding it after they delivered it to the wrong address.
I guess JJams who signed for my rod at the wrong address must not fly fish...... :ROFLMAO:
SF

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
My Redington 8wt from August is still in limbo after payment, I emailed a couple weeks ago and they confirmed my payment from a couple weeks prior and that my replacement would be shipping in the next couple days 🤷‍♂️. Still nothing. But it's only been 8 weeks total on that one so far.

I have another Redington 3wt that they received a couple weeks ago, no assessment on that one yet.