Rogue Wave

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
When was that? I was in Santa Cruz on the Beach watching some of the biggest waves I have seen. It was the same day Mark Foo died up your way.
January 1975. Several commercial boats were lost along the coast that day with only one survivor. Remains to this day the biggest pure swell that has ever hit the PA buoy. The '100 Wednesday' day by the Powerlines crew (known them since they were teens) was a different deal...closer storm with a freak outside double up that almost took out Shawn Allaido (my son trained with her) on her rescue ski.

I offerred up a thumbnail sketch, the story goes deeper into what that day was like, just had a request to paste the story, will have to find what backup drive it's on.

Sounds like you're a surfer....you'll appreciate that once all the boats made it safely to port, knowing we'd be down for a few days, picked up my board and headed to Rincon, which was off the hook for the next two days.

Current project is now with the editor of Surfers Journal, story about the career of mster shaper/artist Fred Wardy...have some excellent surfboard collections pics and art media accompanying the article, courtesy of Fred's wife who I've been working with.

Still make it down you way each winter for a hang...Natural Bridges used to be my favorite wave on a banger..now I surf the east cliff with the other elders..

Tallguy

Steelhead
When was that? I was in Santa Cruz on the Beach watching some of the biggest waves I have seen. It was the same day Mark Foo died up your way.
I caught my largest lifetime wave off of Bagman's house at PP. I think the bouy read 17' at 19 seconds that day. Something like that. I think early March in 2004? I was the fifth person to make it out at PP that day, and later caught the third wave of a bomb set way, way outside of first peak PP. Briefly thought I was going to make it around the Hook on that one, but it sectioned and I came in at the Hook. It is still talked about in my little surf crew who was out with me that day.

It was the same morning Ghost trees broke in Monterey with alot of surf media coverage, and broke someone's leg.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I caught my largest lifetime wave off of Bagman's house at PP. I think the bouy read 17' at 19 seconds that day. Something like that. I think early March in 2004? I was the fifth person to make it out at PP that day, and later caught the third wave of a bomb set way, way outside of first peak PP. Briefly thought I was going to make it around the Hook on that one, but it sectioned and I came in at the Hook. It is still talked about in my little surf crew who was out with me that day.

It was the same morning Ghost trees broke in Monterey with alot of surf media coverage, and broke someone's leg.
Those boomers are fun....way outside First Peak all the way to Jack's house...trot back around, paddle out by the wall...

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
You read that wrong. Where—as in what port—was the Gilliland anchored? Permit.

I’m a Book in our Union, so excuse my attitude.
Ahhh ok. That was late 98, ship was hanging on the hook just outside ModLoc off Dubai bunkering before heading for Manila.
I was part of the Lear Siegler caretaker crew for the Army taking care of the vehicles on board

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ahhh ok. That was late 98, ship was hanging on the hook just outside ModLoc off Dubai bunkering before heading for Manila.
I was part of the Lear Siegler caretaker crew for the Army taking care of the vehicles on board
Ah. Not actual crew member nor a member of my Union. Military or civilian contractor?

Bunkering at anchor makes me think you were at Fujairah.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Ah. Not actual crew member nor a member of my Union. Military or civilian contractor?

Bunkering at anchor makes me think you were at Fujairah.
LSI (defense contractor)was awarded the initial Army preposition afloat contract to support the 1st LMSR's and their brigade sets in the 90's. We were flagged as DA/AMC civillians working on USNS flagged ships and onshore sites.

Prior to the LMSR's coming online, we supported the old "Cape" ships ( Horn, Douglas, Decision, Wrath, etc. We even got to work Capt. Caudles old ship, the Grover Cleveland) and LS 7's as fly away teams who would meet those ships at the pier or at their ModLoc, wherever that might have been.

That employer doesn't exist anymore. It became a football for corporate raiders. In the time I worked for them, we got bought and sold 6 times. It was one of the reasons I left that program. From what I can find, it was absorbed into another contractor about 15 years ago.

I met some good merchant mariners while working that program. Most had been at sea at least 15 years, with our Bosun, Jim Ellette, having been to sea over 36 years when i met him. A good portion of the crews i met lived in Costa Rica.

While i was onboard, w we never got close to Fujariah. Bahrain was the closest. Most of our first year was inside the Gulf , then, start of year two, we headed east toward Diego Garcia and then the Phillipines, then even further east to other places.