Rogue Wave

Zak

Legend

The rogue wave, which measures as high as a four-story building, was recorded in November 2020 by Victoria, B.C.-based MarineLabs Data Systems (MarineLabs). It is the subject of a scientific report by Dr. Johannes Gemmrich and Leah Cicon, both of the University of Victoria, published last week in the journal, Scientific Reports.

There is an impressive video simulation at the link.

Vandelay Industries

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That is a very big wave. I would not want to be hit by that wave in a boat. Impressive video. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Any reports of the effects of this wave?

Reactions: Zak

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Yikes. That's scary stuff.

I was in 40' seas 4 different times when I worked in Alaska. On ships in the 300' range. After a certain size I feel like the waves are so large it's nearly impossible to understand exactly how big that is without seeing it first hand. Videos and pictures never seem to do a rough ocean justice.

I've seen a few random large waves seemingly appear out of nowhere off our coast, but never anything truly large.

I hear people talking all the time about how "last year on our Halibut trip it was easily 20 footers but we managed to get out and get our fish" and it always cracks me up. There's not a charter boat leaving the dock in 20 foot seas. Period. It's so easy to over estimate the size of a wave, and of course it's natural to embellish. But even 20 feet is damn big.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Yikes. That's scary stuff.

I was in 40' seas 4 different times when I worked in Alaska. On ships in the 300' range. After a certain size I feel like the waves are so large it's nearly impossible to understand exactly how big that is without seeing it first hand. Videos and pictures never seem to do a rough ocean justice.

I've seen a few random large waves seemingly appear out of nowhere off our coast, but never anything truly large.

I hear people talking all the time about how "last year on our Halibut trip it was easily 20 footers but we managed to get out and get our fish" and it always cracks me up. There's not a charter boat leaving the dock in 20 foot seas. Period. It's so easy to over estimate the size of a wave, and of course it's natural to embellish. But even 20 feet is damn big.
Nick - I haven't been out on the ocean for a long time. I used to go on the charter boats out of Uclulet. It was interesting to watch boats disappear and reappear in some of those big swells. Last year when we were at Ocean Shores, I'd glass over the bay looking at the marina where you moor; some of the waves rolling into the harbor were damn big!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nick - I haven't been out on the ocean for a long time. I used to go on the charter boats out of Uclulet. It was interesting to watch boats disappear and reappear in some of those big swells. Last year when we were at Ocean Shores, I'd glass over the bay looking at the marina where you moor; some of the waves rolling into the harbor were damn big!

Oh ya, the ocean is incredibly powerful and sure can make a guy feel small.

A true 8' swell can make a lot of boats simply vanish.

The duration between swells is important too. I remember a day last year, I believe it was a fly trip with some forum members, where the swell was up quite a ways. Seemed much bigger than forecasted once we were out there. The duration between swells was pretty significant and it was just a large, rolly ocean. Was a lot of fun to drive the boat on. I was surprised when we checked the buoy data that night and saw swell height of 11' in the area we were in. Typically there is no way we'd be tuna fishing in 11' seas, but they were so far apart that it wasn't a big deal.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter

The duration between swells is important too. I remember a day last year, I believe it was a fly trip with some forum members, where the swell was up quite a ways. Seemed much bigger than forecasted once we were out there. The duration between swells was pretty significant and it was just a large, rolly ocean. Was a lot of fun to drive the boat on. I was surprised when we checked the buoy data that night and saw swell height of 11' in the area we were in. Typically there is no way we'd be tuna fishing in 11' seas, but they were so far apart that it wasn't a big deal.
Until you get back on shore and step in the shower stall it the stall's rocking and rollin'!

headduck

Steelhead
We stay in if forecast says 8'.... 7', 6', especially if they're square ...height and period the same.

Love fishing... but there's no fun in that... and I dont need to fill my freezer that bad.

B

bennysbuddy

it's all about wave sequence, if they are close enough together or start breaking on a sand bar or meet river current things change fast. Crossing a river bar into the ocean on the wrong stage of the tide or with a big onshore wind caused me a lot of grief over the years

RCF

Life of the Party
That rogue wave is bigger than most tsunami waves - just more localized. Holy crap!

headduck

Steelhead
Crazy... while the simulation is somewhat difficult to understand scale...at first... it becomes obvious.

As long as it's not breaking should just be one hell of a bobbin' no?

Reactions: NRC

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk

I think that was the trip I was one, there was definitely some very large swells, and like you said they were very far apart.

My last time in Alaska we had 12' swells that were way too close, and rough as fucke with the wind chop on top of it! Luckily every time I puked(about every 10min) a rod would go off and we limited the boat in an hour or so!

Bagman

Steelhead
Crazy... while the simulation is somewhat difficult to understand scale...at first... it becomes obvious.

As long as it's not breaking should just be one hell of a bobbin' no?
NO. The problem is not so much the wave but what the water is full of. Logs, dogs, other people and parts of houses and so on.

headduck

Steelhead
Right. Guess I was thinking out at sea... that's still my primary frame of reference. Eventhough, still could hold all sorts of debris...hadn't thought of that. Thx.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
NO. The problem is not so much the wave but what the water is full of. Logs, dogs, other people and parts of houses and so on.

What you are talking about is tsunami once it hits land, a rogue wave is out in the open ocean and there is nothing but water.

Bagman

Steelhead
What you are talking about is tsunami once it hits land, a rogue wave is out in the open ocean and there is nothing but water.
Yes but rogue waves can and do make land fall. I happen to have been witness to what I would call a rogue set of waves. I was doing a swell check on my computer and saw a funny little bump in the swell, I knew by the timing between waves the that set would be hitting the beach in just a little while so I hoped on my bike and headed to Pleasure Point to see what was really going to happen. Well it was not a real big set but it broke way outside of almost everyone of the weekend surfers, man people were getting washed up on the beach and into the rocks. It was a mess. i can’t remember how many surfboards were broken into pieces.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was on a Boat on Lake Superior that there was 14 ft waves no fun I was scared shitless just think ten days before cross the lake perfect flat with mild waves.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
And people wonder why I stick to small ponds....

That simulation is incredible